Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:23 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
That's because the majority of the Black population here previously was impoverished. It's more of a class issue. They aren't being gentrified out of the city because they're Black; it's because they can no longer afford to live here. There are plenty of money-making Blacks moving in, so obviously it has nothing to do with skin color.
And I agree. And I also think the majority of whites know this, but it's the poor blacks (which make up a hefty amount of DC) that DON'T know this, and in turn, make it into a black vs. white issue. And in a PC culture, it's ok for a black person to point out, but if you aren't black, it's racist to point out.

And once again, this is all coming from a non-Anglo person....

Pizza?!?!?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:59 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
This reflects a trend nationwide as those with little to no education must succumb to those who do in the cities. DC one of the most interesting and dynamic places I have ever lived because of its black population (educated or not). Truly a place full of soul. I believe that it is still a popular destination for highly educated black professionals.

For the racists here, this still doesn't mean that you are more welcome in DC.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
I don't know why but it feels to me like there are more blacks in DC now than in 2004-2006.
How so? DC does have a high daytime population so perhaps the increased number of black folks you see actually live elsewhere. You'll see me out and about in the District alot but I live in Arlington.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 AM

465 posts, read 928,275 times
I haven't met a black guy in the Vienna to Clarendon area who hasn't been absolutely pleasant to deal with.

Just sayin'.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
This reflects a trend nationwide as those with little to no education must succumb to those who do in the cities. DC one of the most interesting and dynamic places I have ever lived because of its black population (educated or not). Truly a place full of soul. I believe that it is still a popular destination for highly educated black professionals.

Yeah, there are a lot of black professionals in the suburbs. I have lots and lots of friends who live Northern VA. It seems that most black professionals who move up from the south end up in VA.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post

Damn, where have you lived? I like DC, but 'soul' doesn't come to mind when I think of it. The unique culture of Philly and NOLA, the two other places I've lived, have so much more to offer, it's not even close.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 AM

38 posts, read 96,379 times
Baltimore > D.C.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:15 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCpictures View Post
Baltimore > D.C.
In the percentage of poor people?

Old 03-26-2011, 12:36 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
I haven't met a black guy in the Vienna to Clarendon area who hasn't been absolutely pleasant to deal with.

Just sayin'.
Couldn't rep you but I tend to notice that too. That probably explains why I've had more pleasant experiences with non-black individuals in that area than in most other parts of the region, including the district itself.

I guess we can than reciprocity for that

Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 PM

38 posts, read 96,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In the percentage of poor people?
No I'm saying, when it comes to race relations Baltimore is a bit better and its far more black than D.C.

I'm thinking because the fact there are poor whites in Bmore and so blacks and whites can find common ground easier in that city. Its a class issue with D.C., damn near all the whites who live here are well off, but the majority of black people here are poor/income or middle class and middle class in D.C. is basically low class now. This is why you'll see more black and latinos hanging with each other than you'd see black and whites here doing so, unless its a black transplant. Then again I'm not gonna generalize my whole race in this city as being racist, just know that the majority has a grudge with the state of D.C. now.

I like Baltimore, it reminds me of D.C. back in the 90's. I like the tough atmosphere of the city, people are much more down to earth, you won't find pretentiousness people up there and for the first time in years I had a great conversation with a random white guy on the charm city circulator. It was mostly small talk but that would NEVER happen in this city. People are TOO stuck in their own world. D.C. is becoming like New York in this sense, except even NYC still has down to earth people and its just a better city overall. In D.C. you get looked down upon over simple things.

Like I said this is more of a class issue and trust me well off blacks get the same bitter treatment as whites do in this city.
Want proof? Just go to Prince George's County......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: