Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 AM

29 posts, read 86,483 times

Advertisements

Well, we have planned a trip to DC for our family's Spring Break starting on April 18. If the federal government shuts down (April 8, I believe), will all the museums and sites close too? We plan on visiting many of the Smithsonian museums, National Archives, a tour of the Capitol, etc...I don't know if we should cancel our trip or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,674,081 times
If the government shuts down, the Smithsonian museums and national parks would also close. However, I don't know if they put up barriers so you can't walk up to the monuments, or if it's just that they're not attended to (and anything inside, such as going to the top of the Washington monument, would be closed).

That said, I wouldn't alter your plans based on the possibility of a shutdown. It was "going" to shutdown in February and then again earlier this month, both of which didn't happen. I'd bet money that they'll either pass another continuing resolution or actually get it together and pass a budget for the rest of the year (considering they're supposed to be debating the 2012 budget right now...).

Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 AM

29 posts, read 86,483 times
Thanks for your reply. If we were to cancel, it wouldn't be until the very last minute since the chunk of deposit $ we would lose for the condo we are renting would be the same at that point. I know there is a lot to do in DC other than visit the museums and sites, but it is sort of the whole point of the trip for us...so I will cross my fingers!

Old 03-27-2011, 04:46 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,674,081 times
I'd be very surprised if it's an issue for you. I work for the government, and no one around me really expects any sort of shutdown (it was seen as more likely back in February).

Old 03-27-2011, 05:09 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,634,253 times
The government is not going to get shut down.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:12 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,913,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
I'd be very surprised if it's an issue for you. I work for the government, and no one around me really expects any sort of shutdown (it was seen as more likely back in February).
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The government is not going to get shut down.
Can you both please enlighten me, what has changed since February? It seems as if they haven't really made any progress.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,833,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Can you both please enlighten me, what has changed since February? It seems as if they haven't really made any progress.
What's changed is that there's a lot more important things going on in the world, and no one's really listening to petty partisan politics right now. There's nothing for a politician to win by fighting over the budget.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
What's changed is that there's a lot more important things going on in the world, and no one's really listening to petty partisan politics right now. There's nothing for a politician to win by fighting over the budget.
I guess one of the worst financial crisis in our nation's history, two wars, and record unemployment weren't big enough to motivate them before...

Old 04-01-2011, 06:23 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,833,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
I guess one of the worst financial crisis in our nation's history, two wars, and record unemployment weren't big enough to motivate them before...
Uh, obviously much of those things you mention are related, or believed to be related, to the budget. So no, those things wouldn't distract the voting public the way earthquakes and tsunamis would.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Uh, obviously much of those things you mention are related, or believed to be related, to the budget. So no, those things wouldn't distract the voting public the way earthquakes and tsunamis would.
What do earthquakes and tsunamis have to do with a federal budget? We didn't have them happen here and the amount of money that we put out to aid them is minimal. And I don't remember Haiti having that effect on us last year, even though we have given them far more aid. Trust me, the only thing that can motivate these politicians is money and if their constituents are telling them that they are unhappy about their work, that might be the only thing that can make them move. You have to be delusional if you honestly believe these politicians are going to suddenly become conscience about settling a budget, when these are the same individuals that don't have to pay into their retirement or health insurance. If they were really serious about getting anything done, they would give up some of those things since that alone would save millions. The only reason why they are moving on the budget now is because of the backlash, not the earthquakes and tsunamis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: