U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:57 PM

6,941 posts, read 9,177,545 times

Advertisements

When it comes to DC, many people associate it with educated intellects that deal with politics or government, but what about hipsters? Does DC foster any type of creativity outside of intellectulism?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,813,826 times
Sure it does. There's plenty of artists, writers and even actors in DC. I know an actor. I've been trying to get back into writing myself (went to school for it). People around here are all about business but there's plenty of creative types here as well. Maybe they have a day job doing some random office work but at night they're doing xyz. This isn't the town where many people devote themselves to art 24/7 but that doesn't mean DC and its surrounding suburbs are devoid of creativity.

I'm a contractor because I've got bills to pay but I certainly don't think of myself as really being associated with politics and government. I work to live not live to work and there's plenty of folks like that in DC (and of course VA) just hunt them out.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,194,104 times
U-Street, H-Street, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights. DC Hipster meccas.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:03 PM

246 posts, read 562,374 times
Shaw, Mt. Vernon Triangle, and Logan. All hipster.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 AM

2,259 posts, read 3,006,618 times
All of the above areas may have a higher than usual hipster quotient for this area, but you have to take the train half an hour north to Baltimore Penn Station to see an actual hipster 'hood. Only 11th St in Columbia Heights and H Street come even close; Logan Circle is no more hipster than anywhere in Center City Philadelphia.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 15,129 times
There are definitely hipsters in DC. It may not be in droves like Baltimore or where I'm from (Atlanta), but they're definitely around.

I suggest you check out the following venues:

Red Derby
Black Cat
Rock and Roll Hotel and friday/Sat nights
Asylum (more metal/punk than hipster though)
The Raven
Wonderland Ballroom

As for Hipster friendly neighborhoods.. I live in Columbia Heights, and although it has its share.. its pretty sterile. H-Street is the future.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 PM

361 posts, read 812,053 times
What does this term even mean 'hipster'?

Old 04-01-2011, 09:06 PM

16,273 posts, read 40,674,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
What does this term even mean 'hipster'?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster...ary_subculture)

The interesting thing is reading the article, they like all the same things I use to get into and like, and still respect. I mean, stuff like Kerouac/Beats, indie music, indie films, etc.

However, having encountered many hipsters in both Portland Oregon and Williamsburg Brooklyn (NYC)...I just find them way too pretensious, generally too young and inexperienced with life, and way to eager to conform to an image of 'non-conformity'.

I lived in Portland for a year in the mid-1990s with that...and again in NYC for several years in the last 1990s. Since that was 15 years ago, they are probably worse. I bounced around different places in NYC, and that 3 months in Williamsburg Brooklyn was the shortest in time, the longest in irritation, I hated getting off that train and having anyone associate me with them. At that time, 'Mack' truck hats and 'John Deere' hats were the rage...which basically gave me the impression that half of them were pseudo-intellictual college graduates of art schools from places like Iowa and Nebraska...trying to out-hip each other based on their origins.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:08 PM

3,547 posts, read 8,191,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
Shaw, Mt. Vernon Triangle, and Logan. All hipster.
Logan? Not really. Lots of gays and yuppies, but much of Logan is beyond the price point of hipsters. Even Columbia Heights is starting to get to that point--they're migrating north to Petworth/Brightwood now. H Street is a big hipster hangout, and you get mega street cred if you're hanging out at a place like Jimmy Valentine's on Bladensburg Rd.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM

2,259 posts, read 3,006,618 times
As I posted in another thread: "[in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Richmond, Providence, etc.] vastly lower rents make them also much easier to live in for anyone who makes art/music part-time and supplements that income with service sector employment. DC's just too expensive for most hipsters, doesn't offer enough opportunities for working artists, and isn't cool enough to draw trustafarians."

I'm not going to apologize for hipsters, but I'll certainly say that I miss their presence around DC -- if there were more, I'm sure that the food would be more adventurous, the beer cheaper, the rock louder. Sure, the snobbery and pretense and trend-hopping get annoying, but look on the bright side: they're discerning consumers who won't just lap up the beige pablum that Corporate America is selling.

That's not to say that DC is Calgary or San Diego or some other soulless yuppie wasteland; it's a region where armies of hippie RPCVs rally to keep Takoma Park boring, where David Brooks gently ribs "bobos," where you'll run into people from every continent. There's plenty of High Culture and scads of (maybe too much) book-learned Ivy League degree-holders. There's plenty of art appreciation, that's for sure, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of art creation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC