Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 20,722 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to DC area. My husband will be working in DC , but we would like to find a family friendly community with great schools within 1 hour of DC .

Any information would be appreciated!

I understand that the cost of living is can be high in some areas. We are hoping to stay under 400,000 for a home until we know we are staying long term.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
Howard County is very family friendly and has great schools. Your price range is a little tough, but I have seen houses for sale in it. They are older (I think the ones for sale were built in the 80s) and generally 3-4 bedrooms, 2-2 1/2 baths on bigger lots. If you want newer construction in that price range you would probably be talking townhouse around here. If you want something bigger you'd probably have to go further out.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:31 PM

10 posts, read 49,366 times
Howard County is lovely and the schools cannot be beat- but your commute is going to be more than 1 hour from there.

Consider Silver Spring, MD, Springfield, VA, Lorton, VA. Try looking just outside the beltway.

As to places to AVOID:

anywhere in the District (schools are horrible)
Arlington (the nicer areas will be way outside your price range, the areas within your price range will probably not be desirable)
College Park
Tacoma Park
Anacostia
Hybla Valley- or anything on Rt. 1 South of Alexandria (horrible congestion)

Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused82 View Post
Howard County is lovely and the schools cannot be beat- but your commute is going to be more than 1 hour from there.

Consider Silver Spring, MD, Springfield, VA, Lorton, VA. Try looking just outside the beltway.

As to places to AVOID:

anywhere in the District (schools are horrible)
Arlington (the nicer areas will be way outside your price range, the areas within your price range will probably not be desirable)
College Park
Tacoma Park
Anacostia
Hybla Valley- or anything on Rt. 1 South of Alexandria (horrible congestion)
Figured I better defend my hood. There really aren't any BAD parts of Arlington. Really and truly if you're looking at apartments then I'd say be careful of skankfest apartment buildings but a townhouse will be fine. The corner of S. 24th and Shirlington has more loitering than I care for. So that's the only spot I might say avoid but I live not too far away and my street is fine. So I won't say avoid Arlington. I will say instead is that Arlington is going to give you a taste of city living that locales further from DC won't. And part of city living is that one block is extremely quiet and the next not so much. Although even the worst apartments in Arlington are quiet in my opinion.

Hybla Valley is truly a mixed bag. There are some parts that are skanky as all get out but there are also some really nice houses there. The tricky part will be schools. So while I won't say AVOID I would say tread cautiously because there are nice pockets down there.

With that said I'm a sucker for Burke when it comes to families. You won't be able to get a big house for $400K but a nice townhouse with a little yard definitely for sure. At the end of the day the further from the city you go the more for your money you'll get.

Howard county is super nice but that commute won't be the greatest into the city.

My other family recommendations:
Vienna
Burke
West Springfield
Annandale (outside the Beltway)
Oakton
Kingstowne (beautiful area) Alexandria address.

A single family house for $400K but that's considered a starter price for a house. So keep space (or lack thereof) in mind.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM

10 posts, read 49,366 times
Sorry Terrence81, didn't mean to dis arlington! I LOVE Arlington- I was thinking that North Arlington probably has some of the most desirable schools in the DC area, but those homes are more in the 1,000,000+ range, the parts that are more affordable tend to be more for single or childless people/couples. Of course nothing wrong with them- just someone looking to find a quiet place for a family to raise children would best to look outside Arlington.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused82 View Post
Sorry Terrence81, didn't mean to dis arlington! I LOVE Arlington- I was thinking that North Arlington probably has some of the most desirable schools in the DC area, but those homes are more in the 1,000,000+ range, the parts that are more affordable tend to be more for single or childless people/couples. Of course nothing wrong with them- just someone looking to find a quiet place for a family to raise children would best to look outside Arlington.
No worries! I actually agree with you in that further out would probably be better for a family. I just had to point out that there south Arlington is cool too just a little rougher around the edges. A single family house still might not happen though only thing in that price range would be a townhouse or a tiny WWII duplex (I think my current neighborhood used to be military housing). They're not bad but on the small side it'd be cramp for even a family of 4 even though I did it with 3 roommates. So yeah I like south Arlington its great even though I'm considering moving either to the District (maybe I can get a transfer to the downtown office) or to north Arlington.

Crystal City is the worst with lots of folks renting out the living room or dining rooms of those pricey apartments.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefaith View Post
We are relocating to DC area. My husband will be working in DC , but we would like to find a family friendly community with great schools within 1 hour of DC .

Any information would be appreciated!

I understand that the cost of living is can be high in some areas. We are hoping to stay under 400,000 for a home until we know we are staying long term.

Thank you!
You'll need to adjust your criteria. Family friendly, great schools, one hour commute and $400K don't work.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:34 AM

688 posts, read 1,247,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You'll need to adjust your criteria. Family friendly, great schools, one hour commute and $400K don't work.
Agree. You are going to need to prioritize further- spend (alot) more or have a longer commute.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Depends on what they are looking for. If they don't mind living in a townhome or condo, then it could work, but if they want a single family home then I agree it would be impossible. So to the OP, what are you looking for?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 PM

12 posts, read 21,023 times
with some compromise you can find what you want for $400K. there are single family homes in montgomery county in good school districts and safe neighborhoods. of course it's all much easier with more $$$ but $400k is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC