U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 AM

1 posts, read 686 times
Post Moving to Washington!

Hi everyone! New to this forum and needing advice..........moving to DC in autumn as my husband is starting at Georgetown Uni (we're currently in Germany) This will be the first time I've lived in the US - I'm British - and I haven't a clue whereabouts to live! By then our boy will be almost a year....so this is what we need.....
commutable distance to uni via public transport
green leafy parks (is that pos?)
good places to eat (we're vegetarian, but love 'ethnic' food/ Italian)
friendly, safe!
shops in walking distance/metro....
family friendly
a liberal, studenty kind of feel to the place.....I've been surrounded by army wives for too long and want to meet a different kind of American!

Cheers everyone! )
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:04 AM

1,956 posts, read 2,134,855 times
Hi, welcome! If you want to PM me I can offer some suggestions. I work in G and live in Arlington,

Old 04-05-2011, 07:31 AM

594 posts, read 617,612 times
you haven't said what your budget is

Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 AM

159 posts, read 26,233 times
Cleveland Park

Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,228,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seren26 View Post
Hi everyone! New to this forum and needing advice..........moving to DC in autumn as my husband is starting at Georgetown Uni (we're currently in Germany) This will be the first time I've lived in the US - I'm British - and I haven't a clue whereabouts to live! By then our boy will be almost a year....so this is what we need.....
commutable distance to uni via public transport
green leafy parks (is that pos?)
good places to eat (we're vegetarian, but love 'ethnic' food/ Italian)
friendly, safe!
shops in walking distance/metro....
family friendly
a liberal, studenty kind of feel to the place.....I've been surrounded by army wives for too long and want to meet a different kind of American!

Cheers everyone! )
Not to start in with the DC residents, but you should look at Virginia. Alot of the area considered "DC" is in Virginia & Maryland. I can't say when it comes to MD but you may find alot more in VA than in DC and still commute in with no problem. Either by driving or Metro

Old 04-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 1,988,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Not to start in with the DC residents, but you should look at Virginia. Alot of the area considered "DC" is in Virginia & Maryland. I can't say when it comes to MD but you may find alot more in VA than in DC and still commute in with no problem. Either by driving or Metro
Look at this.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM

12 posts, read 10,655 times
Default moving to washington

welcome to washington, dc. I think you'll love it here. People are nice the living is good.

where to live depends a lot on whether you're interested in buying or renting and, either way, what you budget is. Washington, DC is expensive compared to most american cities.

georgetown will be the most desirable, convenient and expensive place for you to live but if you can swing it, you'll love it.

Last edited by ReidButterfield; 04-06-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-06-2011, 03:42 PM

2,595 posts, read 1,928,316 times
If you live in the District you can find many nice parks, great public transportation, and short commutes. In many logistical ways DC is like London. Car traffic is bad and worse in the suburbs than in DC proper. Housing is expensive, but quite nice. What we think is old, you will think is almost brand new. Georgetown as a destination is a little more difficult than many other locations because it's not on the "underground" but is accessible by bus.

Try reading Craigslist for house rental costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC