Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:06 AM

14 posts, read 53,586 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to the Shaw neighbourhood...around New Jersey & Q...is this a safe area or not? Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,531,400 times
It's "transitioning". That area is close to Bloomingdale, which is a pleasant, largely residential neighborhood (although Rustik and Big bear Coffee are two excellent joints). But parts of the area can be seedy, particularly North Capitol Street near the intersection of P and Florida. If you're accustomed to living in an inner-city urban neighborhood and have all of the relevant street smarts, you should be fine.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the info! I have yet to check out the area and see the apt, but I'm just worried how it will be walking home at night and if it's mostly residential that kind of sucks that there will be no restaurants etc nearby. I'm definitely not used to living in an inner-city neighbourhood so I guess I need to rethink this.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjo View Post
Thanks for the info! I have yet to check out the area and see the apt, but I'm just worried how it will be walking home at night and if it's mostly residential that kind of sucks that there will be no restaurants etc nearby. I'm definitely not used to living in an inner-city neighbourhood so I guess I need to rethink this.
Where will you be walking home from at night? The limited commercial development in that area along/near 1st and R streets, several blocks away. New Jersey and Q is all residential. There's not going to be a tremendous amount of foot traffic around there, although New Jersey is a major artery into Capitol Hill and 395, so the vehicular traffic will be higher.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 AM

I'll be walking home from the Shaw-Howard metro stop around 11 pm some nights...perhaps taking the bus would be better (the 96 I think) b/c it stops at New Jersey & P so it's only a short walk to Q?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I'll be walking home from the Shaw-Howard metro stop around 11 pm some nights...perhaps taking the bus would be better (the 96 I think) b/c it stops at New Jersey & P so it's only a short walk to Q?
The Metro is only a few blocks away, so waiting for the bus simply to ride a few blocks seems like a waste of time. If you're alert, aren't talking on yoru phone or have earbuds in your ears, you should be OK. There are some wonderful houses around around there.

My best suggestion would be to walk home from the Metro station at the same time you would usually be heading home if you were living there, and gauge your level of comfort. Spend some time walking around the neighborhood at all hours and familiarize yourself with what's there. Then, decide how comfortable you are.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 AM

That is a great idea, thanks for the suggestion. I guess b/c I've never been in the area before and looked at crime reports and saw that there were quite a few robberies in that area, so I was wary of the whole thing. But I guess I'll check it out!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:23 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,444,862 times
Quote:
It's a great neighborhood for the most part, but I think it might be a pretty abrupt transition to city life.

There isn't a ton of crime in the neighborhood, but you do have the occasional burglary or mugging. Lots of public intoxication. There isn't much random violent crime; it's mostly between rival crews. I wouldn't recommend walking alone late at night, but as long as you're aware of your surroundings, you should be fine.

The neighborhood isn't a residential island. One of my favorite restaurants, Beau Thai, is right around the corner from that location. You're a few blocks from Big Bear Cafe too, which is a popular bar. Shaw tavern will be opening up soon (June I think) right around there.

I live a few blocks west, and I love the neighborhood. Lots of young families and good neighbors. Just have to ignore the occasional guy peeing in the street.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Public intoxication and peeing I can totally deal with. I was just scared when I saw that there were quite a few robberies in the area w/ the use of a gun/knife. But it's good to hear that you live in the area and love it. Right now I live in Wheaton (near the metro) and I find it totally safe, so don't know how much of a transition it would be. Thanks for your input!

Old 04-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Public intoxication and peeing I can totally deal with. I was just scared when I saw that there were quite a few robberies in the area w/ the use of a gun/knife. But it's good to hear that you live in the area and love it. Right now I live in Wheaton (near the metro) and I find it totally safe, so don't know how much of a transition it would be. Thanks for your input!
Personally, I think Shaw is safer than Wheaton. Guess it depends on where you are, but I've seen a whole lot of shadiness around the Ga. Ave. corridor in Wheaton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC