Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times

Advertisements

WashPost has this interesting story today about how DC may be ceasing to be a majority black city, but still hanging on to its black identity through the arts--much as the Irish still have an outsize influence on Boston's identity even though Boston is not really Irish really anymore. Or much as people still think of New York as a Jewish city although the Jewish influence is waning while the Hispanic is growing.

Pondering meaning of changing D.C. demographics - The Washington Post

Just curious whether Washingtonians see this as accurate. You still think people think of DC as Chocolate City even if the chocolate melts away?

Last edited by citylove101; 04-11-2011 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
My neighborhood still has a very large black population. I see this as a revitalization of the city. Non-blacks and affluent blacks are moving into the city in record numbers, diluting the historical population base. The most encouraging thing is that the city is now integrating on a block by block basis. 30 years ago west of Rock Creek Park was white and east of the park was black. Now it's become more diverse.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM

159 posts, read 279,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
My neighborhood still has a very large black population. I see this as a revitalization of the city. Non-blacks and affluent blacks are moving into the city in record numbers, diluting the historical population base. The most encouraging thing is that the city is now integrating on a block by block basis. 30 years ago west of Rock Creek Park was white and east of the park was black. Now it's become more diverse.
Eventually D.C. will be 70% white (non hispanic) and all the black people will be in PG county, Montgomery county, and Charles county. Seems sad to me....

DC has by far the worst gentrification out here. We have a height limit so places like Dupont and Logan circles get spaced out quick. We can't build up so the city is building out horizontally and pushing out middle class, low income, and the poor.

D.C. is gonna suck in 10 years.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Why are people in this city so obsessed with race?

Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Waiting for the Washington Post's article about white people in MoCo anxious about losing the majority there.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post
Eventually D.C. will be 70% white (non hispanic) and all the black people will be in PG county, Montgomery county, and Charles county. Seems sad to me....

DC has by far the worst gentrification out here. We have a height limit so places like Dupont and Logan circles get spaced out quick. We can't build up so the city is building out horizontally and pushing out middle class, low income, and the poor.

In other words DC will have less crime, increasing tax revenue, and better schools.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why are people in this city so obsessed with race?

Why are some people so obssessed with ignoring it?

I mean really, a city's ethinicity(ies) will give it a flavor, a culture, a style, which is all this article was saying I think. Jews have given theirs to NYC, Mexicans to LA, the Irish to Boston, the Cubans to Miami, etc etc etc. When the dominant ethnicity changes, the city will lose something. But what will it gain? I mean will DC just turn into a haven for bland white-bread ivy league lawyers and corporate lobbyists? Will there be another dominat ethnic group to flavor DC? I mean will the city's culture be? That's all the article was asking and what I was curious to see what folks in DC felt about it.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM

465 posts, read 928,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
In other words DC will have less crime, increasing tax revenue, and better schools.
HA! Pwned!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Or in the OPs words, "bland."

Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post

LOL the sky is not falling and DC will not be 70% white in anybody here's lifetime. Change is endemic and neither good nor bad. For every middle class family forced to a suburb, you have 2-3 middle class families that just won the home ownership sweepstakes, selling a house for which they paid $60 thousand for $500 thousand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC