Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I have met a lot of nice people here, so I see this perspective. However, I'd add that in DC I've *heard* a ton of people complaining about the people here, and that just didn't happen in other cities I've lived in. It's not like you're going to go to Denver and hear people say that the people in Denver are jerks, for example. No way. And I put in 10 years in corporate Chicago and I ran across any number of class-A jerks, but for people to say, man people are sure jerks in Chicago, I just don't see it happening. I wonder if it's a NE US thing. People not from the NE think, what a bunch of jerks, but people from the NE don't see it.
Washington, D.C. is a much more competitive city than Denver or even Chicago.

Everything is on a whole other magnitude here compared to those places.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:43 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The Paris population figures show that we don't have to relax height restrictions in DC.
No, but certainly need to relax zoning regulations, which stunt growth far more than the height restriction.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:16 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
No, but certainly need to relax zoning regulations, which stunt growth far more than the height restriction.
I would prefer that growth rates be moderate. Explosive growth leads to bubbles and crashes. While I'm the beneficiary of the increase in real estate prices, it distorts the prospective population statistic.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
I have met a lot of nice people here, so I see this perspective. However, I'd add that in DC I've *heard* a ton of people complaining about the people here, and that just didn't happen in other cities I've lived in. It's not like you're going to go to Denver and hear people say that the people in Denver are jerks, for example. No way. And I put in 10 years in corporate Chicago and I ran across any number of class-A jerks, but for people to say, man people are sure jerks in Chicago, I just don't see it happening. I wonder if it's a NE US thing. People not from the NE think, what a bunch of jerks, but people from the NE don't see it.
Maybe its because most people here aren't FROM here and are here to pursue a career.

People in Denver tend to be from Denver and people from Boston are mostly locals too, just to name a couple of examples.

The DC area is very unique as its "local" culture is very small in comparison to the people here from other parts of the country.

I don't know...great museums and parks though!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:25 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
^ actually, i thought the local culture
outnumbers all the people who move
to washington, dc from somewhere else.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 PM

70 posts, read 110,325 times
Geez, so because I don't like DC, and I state my opinion I'm whining? Really? I don't like it, I think it is a hellhole. That is MY truth. If you think DC is the bees knees, so be it; congratulations, you've found your forever home. You really need to get over yourself.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina Cavalli View Post
Geez, so because I don't like DC, and I state my opinion I'm whining? Really? I don't like it, I think it is a hellhole. That is MY truth. If you think DC is the bees knees, so be it; congratulations, you've found your forever home. You really need to get over yourself.
You're entitled to your own opinions so long as you don't over-generalize THE ENTIRE POPULATION AND/OR CITY. Be careful of stereotypes.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:00 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
When you use a descriptor like "hellhole" to describe a city like Washington DC, you've either led a very sheltered life that has deprived you of any meaningful perspective or you're being a drama queen.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:13 PM

70 posts, read 110,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Just leave.
Why does it bother you so much?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Why does it bother you so much?
It doesn't bother me at all. I'm counselling you. Many people are not going to be successful in DC either economically or socially. Rather than beat your head against the wall attempting something you're not equipped to succeed at, you should move to an area where the environment is better tailored to your talent mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: