U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2007, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 10,172 times

Advertisements

Whoa whoa whoa !! DC is hella fun, esp. if you're 21 + !! We are pretty social people, but we're city folk for goodness sake, what city person do you know that's "friendly". DC is all about Business and play & if you don't fit in with that, then yea maybe you should leave. Baltimore ??? Lol, you have fun

Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM

14 posts, read 26,384 times
I'm a little curious to know what other large cities people who trash-talk DC so much have lived in. Having lived in Boston (my hometown), NYC, Tampa, and Atlanta, I visit DC frequently and while there's a different code of conduct, it's not a rude or unfriendly place. I was also unaware wearing a suit and being politically or intellectually inclined made you soulless, but apparently that's what I've been missing these past few years. And all that choir practice!

Some of these posts are just so over the top they are comical. I'm sorry, but get a grip. If you can't handle a big city, leave, but at least be able to admit that is due to your preference and not due to the Resident Evil type scenario you depict. Perhaps we should aspire to an objective recap of a city's strengths and weaknesses rather than Danielle Steele-esque drama. Most big cities have a fast pace; people move to them for opportunity, growth, and experience, so it's never going to be a situation where you can just hang around and hope you meet people. You have to be proactive and get out there. Do things you are interested in, live in an area that you feel comfortable with, volunteer, whatever. It's never a hopeless situation. (Unless you live in Baltimore or New Orleans, apparently. And most of the Midwest.)

And for the record, Atlanta is very polite. I've lived here for three years, and men always step aside to let me on the elevator first, hold the door for me, etc. You'd never see that happen in NYC, where I was eyerolled just for saying "Thank you" in a grocery store. DC also seems a bit more refined than that.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:27 AM

417 posts, read 1,375,996 times
I used to work at a company with offices all over the place. We had huge offices in Washington DC and Tyson Corner (Vienna VA). Outside our New Jersey office, the people at our DC offices were the biggest jerks. I never saw so many cold hearted cruel type A types in my life. The people liked to play serious office politics and seemed to hate each other. Our New Jersey office was similar, but maybe DC was the worst. While I understand that the DC area had people from all over the world, it brings in a certain type of person. If you are wanting to turn the world on fire go to DC and do anything you can to get ahead, if you are a regular person who likes friends and family stay in Kansas City.

Last edited by questioner2; 12-21-2007 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-21-2007, 11:25 AM

7,631 posts, read 10,857,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I used to work at a company with offices all over the place. We had huge offices in Washington DC and Tyson Corner (Vienna VA). Outside our New Jersey office, the people at our DC offices were the biggest jerks. I never saw so many cold hearted cruel type A types in my life. The people liked to play serious office politics and seemed to hate each other. Our New Jersey office was similar, but maybe DC was the worst. While I understand that the DC area had people from all over the world, it brings in a certain type of person. If you are wanting to turn the world on fire go to DC and do anything you can to get ahead, if you are a regular person who likes friends and family stay in Kansas City.
That's funny. Everyone here says the same thing about offices or people located in places like New York or Boston- full of Type As and aspiring bullies and other miscreants.

I think people are basically the same everywhere with slight variations. All of this "I can't stand _______" is nonsense. People like to diss other places because it makes them feel good.

I mean Tysons Corner? Come on already. At best that area is dullsville, hardly worth the wrath of others.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 PM

51 posts, read 215,805 times
Even though I grew up in the DC area and love it here, what I been through in the past couple weeks makes me empathize with people that think the DC area has some of the rudest people.....

Last week I fell down the stairs at a Metro station and broke my foot. Did anyone help me? No.... they walked past me and ignored me like i was a homeless person.... after watching me take the tumble. All this week (since i can't drive) I've had to take the bus to the Metro station and the train to get to work. It's quite sad when the bus driver has to put the bus in park to get up to make people move from the seats in the front because they don't want to get up so a "disabled" person can sit there (that's happened 3 times). It quite sad that they won't hold the elevator while looking at me hopping to it on my crutches. And then on the train itself.... they will run you over to get on the traiin to make sure they get a seat. HELLO I'm on crutches!!!

I can honestly say I've never had to deal with handicapped or disabled people on the Metro but I have a newfound respect for them if they have to deal with this every day on the metro.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:58 PM

14 posts, read 22,883 times
Yes, DC is a gorgeous city and there are tons of exciting things to do. But I've found the people in DC to be both less interesting and less friendly than in the vast majority of other places I've lived.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:36 PM

367 posts, read 420,874 times
I think you can pretty much see whatever you want to see out of a situation.

I've been to Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh......I didn't find the people there so different or unbelievably fascinating.

Get a grip.

Old 12-26-2007, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 11,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
::spits out coffee::

Crime worse than D.C.? Nobody has crime worse than D.C.
Ummm--except maybe Baltimore.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:15 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,174,002 times
DC and Baltimore are separate entities. It is difficult to compare them. Although Baltimore's homicide rate is higher than DCs, DC still has a high rate also and is nothing to brag about. DC has much better mass transit options and has witnessed a boom occuring all around the downtown area. Baltimore has also experienced a boom but nothing to the extent of DC. The advantage to living or buying in Baltimore is that you can still get a decent size home in a fairly decent neighborhood at a much more affordable rate. The disadvantage is the commute. Marc trains or driving you will need an hour at least. Baltimore is more laid-back. It has plenty of dining options, decent museums, etc. But again, nothing compared to DC. I live in Baltimore and I do so because I can afford more. I have never been a victim of crime because just like DC, I choose to live in a decent neighborhood and avoid the more sketchy areas. But, I love DC for what it offers. It is a great city and I am there at least once every two weeks or so.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:06 PM

4,492 posts, read 5,116,534 times
Hey Rocko,

Philly's crime is worse than DC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: