Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have children of school age?
Yes 4 33.33%
no 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM

31,938 posts, read 34,457,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lackadaisi View Post
I don't think we have to wait until the next census, but it will be interesting to look at the numbers for kindergarten next year. Again, the revitalization is young and did not start with families moving in but with people having children while here, so there is delay. Also, you have to look at the data for both public schools and charter schools as over a third of students getting a free education in DC are enrolled in charter schools.
So the gentrifiers had more children in 2007 than any other year?

The data I posted (see link in "Magnet Schools" thread) was inclusive of charters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,460,646 times
I wonder what you folks consider middle class to be? My wife has been working at JO Wilson Elementary and she says that all the white kids leave the school by third grade usually. And that school is one of the good ones. People actually apply to get in. That school is located in the H street Corridor place that is "rapidly gentrifying". I'm just saying that it going to take a concerted effort to actually change the demographics of school in "Middle Class" areas in DC.

Also it only seems 8 people took the poll and only one person actually has kids of school age and didn't specify where they went.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,955,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No we won't. Just use your own logic. If the decline in student enrollment Grades K through 12 is attributable to black families leaving the city (your theory), then why don't we see the same decline in Pre-K?
One of the stories I hear is there's a lot of cheating going on with working Maryland mothers bringing their kid to free DC pre-K. Sorry to ruin you entire argument.

Quote:
And if the increase in Pre-K enrollment is a sign that middle-class families are staying in the city, then why don't we see an increase in the number of students enrolled in Kindergarten?

Are these middle class children dying once they turn 5?
We'll wait to see what the Census actually shows.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:11 PM

246 posts, read 587,201 times
[quote=BajanYankee;19138198]So the gentrifiers had more children in 2007 than any other year?
[quote]

I have no idea, but they really started moving in in droves in 2004-2005, and most had no children when they did. In my neighborhood, the first children started showing up in about 2006, but they moved out by 2007. Most of the kids that currently live there were born in 2007 or later. I don't know the trend for the neighborhoods with existing housing stock; our neighborhood didn't really exist before 2005.

I think I wrote a bit too quickly when I said that we would only have to wait a year, as it is hard to tell (at least without looking at the statistics, which admittedly, I have not) who is in the preschool/prekindergarten classes. DC has greatly expanded preschool and prekindergarten options in the past couple years, so we really can't compare with prior statistics.
However, I don't think that it is disputed that enrollment has declined.

Moreover, I believe that something more radical within DCPS will have to change in order to have more students with options stay past third grade because testing currently eclipses almost all "specials" at that point - this is true in many places, but DCPS for various reasons has less of a handle on it than other jurisdictions. I don't think this is impossible, but it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I wonder what you folks consider middle class to be? My wife has been working at JO Wilson Elementary and she says that all the white kids leave the school by third grade usually. And that school is one of the good ones. People actually apply to get in. That school is located in the H street Corridor place that is "rapidly gentrifying". I'm just saying that it going to take a concerted effort to actually change the demographics of school in "Middle Class" areas in DC.
I would consider this "middle class" in this region.

Husband is a Defense Consultant at Booz, Allen & Hamilton. Salary is $95,000.

Wife is a teacher at Cora Kelly Elementary in Alexandria. Salary is $55,000.

Combined income of $150,000.

Going by the standard "don't spend more than 2.5 to 3 times your salary on a house," they should barely be able to buy a house in the 20001 zip code.

Real Estate in DC, 20001, Homes for Sale, Homes for Sale - Homes Database

Assuming they can get 421 Q St NW (not a desirable area at all, but hey, they're liberal pioneers!) down to $450,000, that will put their mortgage note somewhere around $3,000 per month. Sidwell Friends tuition is $32K per year (Sidwell Friends School: Admissions » Tuition and Fees), so that's out of the question. They'll have no choice but to send their kids to the local public school.

And after reading this article, would you really be willing to do that?

How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million by Joshua Kaplowitz, City Journal Winter 2003

Old 05-13-2011, 01:38 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,354,453 times
Quote:
I would consider this "middle class" in this region.

Husband is a Defense Consultant at Booz, Allen & Hamilton. Salary is $95,000.

Wife is a teacher at Cora Kelly Elementary in Alexandria. Salary is $55,000.

Combined income of $150,000.

Going by the standard "don't spend more than 2.5 to 3 times your salary on a house," they should barely be able to buy a house in the 20001 zip code.

Real Estate in DC, 20001, Homes for Sale, Homes for Sale - Homes Database

Assuming they can get 421 Q St NW (not a desirable area at all, but hey, they're liberal pioneers!) down to $450,000, that will put their mortgage note somewhere around $3,000 per month. Sidwell Friends tuition is $32K per year (Sidwell Friends School: Admissions » Tuition and Fees), so that's out of the question. They'll have no choice but to send their kids to the local public school.

And after reading this article, would you really be willing to do that?

How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million by Joshua Kaplowitz, City Journal Winter 2003
What about parachoial schools? They tend to be cheaper.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
One of the stories I hear is there's a lot of cheating going on with working Maryland mothers bringing their kid to free DC pre-K. Sorry to ruin you entire argument.
Geez...do you ever rely on facts and data?

"I heard the economy was never in recession. Sorry to ruin your argument."

"I heard that Barack Obama was born in Kenya. Sorry to ruin your argument."

"I heard that Rita's Water Ice no longer sells water ice. Sorry to ruin your argument."

Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,448,033 times
Quote:
"I heard that Rita's Water Ice no longer sells water ice. Sorry to ruin your argument."
Now I cannot get Rita's Water (pronounced: w'dûr) Ice out of my head, thanks BY.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:13 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,955,371 times
Quote:
Geez...do you ever rely on facts and data?

"I heard the economy was never in recession. Sorry to ruin your argument."

"I heard that Barack Obama was born in Kenya. Sorry to ruin your argument."

Pot meet kettle.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 AM

837 posts, read 1,794,735 times
An interesting discussion. I live in the Janney district and intend to send my kids to public school up until middle school and then will look for alternative options. It is my understanding that Janney is perfectly fine and the real issues only show up after that. We shall see.

I admit I'm a little concerned about it - I balk at the idea of spending $30,000 to send my kid to a private like Sidwell. My income, while certainly good, I think is probably a little below average for the neighborhood im in (a lot of world bankers, etc) - and there's no way I can afford $30K post tax year after year. I suppose anything can be done, but it would be quite a stretch. At the same time, I absolutely love where I live and I have no intention whatsoever of moving to VA or MD unless there's truly no other option.

We considered Mclean, Arlington, etc when we moved here based on recommendations that they had good schools, but I found McLean to be a suicidally depressing collection of cul-de-sacs and Arlington a grossly overpriced juicy-pants infested planned community. Neither came close to having the charm and feel of NW DC. Forget Fairfax, Burke, Annandale, Falls Church etc -- those really felt like deep suburbia.

I may well eat those words one day, but if my income can keep pace and give me choices, my choice is to stay in DC. For all the hate that gets flung around on the site, I actually love the city.

Last edited by chicagotodc; 05-17-2011 at 04:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC