U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:34 PM

33 posts, read 124,938 times

Advertisements

We are a 30 something couple with a baby and currently live in NE on the Hill. We are looking to move to get a bit more room than our one bed / one bath row house. We love being in the city especially in the more residential city areas like we are now. (My husband works in Friendship Heights - takes the metro from Union Station). Are there any areas in the city that have a decent public elementary school and that are good areas for families? We know the HS aren't good but that is years away.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 02:56 PM

1,389 posts, read 4,424,840 times
No private schools in Dc is the only option regardless of the area you live in but only if the residents can afford private schools. Dc shools is one of the worst and it will take years and years to get up to where it needs to be.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:56 PM

15,117 posts, read 17,631,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
No private schools in Dc is the only option regardless of the area you live in but only if the residents can afford private schools. Dc shools is one of the worst and it will take years and years to get up to where it needs to be.
The only schools that would even be considered close to halfway decent are in the really expensive part of NW where all the senators live. I would even look in PG just to get out of the abysmal school system in DC. Don't even think NoVA is too expensive for you just keep your eyes peeled and your options open. There are inexpensive places that have decent public schools in NoVA it is just a question of what you'll put up with and how much you can spend.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:40 PM

9 posts, read 70,621 times
Murch Elementary on 36th Street, NW and Oyster Bilingual on Calvert St., NW are both considered good schools. I think Murch has an after school language program.See dc school search http://www.dcschoolsearch.com/schools/index.aspfor (broken link) more information. I'm not sure about the specific enrollment boundaries. As the previous post mentioned, both of these schools are in expensive areas. The neighborhoods around Murch are very residential.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:43 AM

157 posts, read 563,134 times
We are currently moving from an excellent school system in NJ to DC. During my research I found a handful of public elementary schools in DC that are top notch. Of course the areas are expensive, but I believe most nice areas in DC are. Use the website GreatSchools.net to look up stats on all elementary schools. We are moving to Chevy Chase DC (just above Friendship Heights). The schools that topped our list were: Lafayette Elem in Chevy Chase, DC, Janney Elem in AU Park, and Key Elem in Palisades. There are several others, - we liked these neighborhoods the best. I think all of the elementary schools go up to 6th grade, after that it is off to private school- or hopefully back to NJ. Good luck!!

Old 08-04-2007, 12:28 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,961,929 times
You will find some decent public elementary schools in the affluent NW neighborhoods that the previous poster mentioned. These schools are decent because of the demographics of the student population and the extensive support of their highly educated and pushy parents. However, the schools are still at the mercy of the dreadful DC system for little things like on-time textbook deliveries, principal assignments, and repair schedules. You might consider the Friendship Heights area itself, which is just across Western Avenue from DC but a world away in terms of public services. My brother lives on the MD side of Western Avenue within walking distance of the Friendship Heights metro. They are close to the famous Turtle Park, plus a plethora of stores and restaurants, including multiple Starbucks locations.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 AM

7,632 posts, read 10,862,648 times
Quote:
Lafayette Elem in Chevy Chase, DC, Janney Elem in AU Park, and Key Elem in Palisades.
Add Horace Mann to that list. I went to Murch and it was blissfull. After that, either move across the border or pony up the money for private school.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM

380 posts, read 950,175 times
what about mcgogney elementary school?

i was very little when i went there of course.... i was the only hispanic child in my class... school maybe.

whats their rep like and how they doing now?

i probably went to a bad school. lol

i survived and made it to texas. haha

Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 PM

33 posts, read 124,938 times
Default good public elementary schools

Thanks for all the info on the schools. We are needing to find a three bedroom/ 1+ bath home/townhouse in one of these areas for about 550-600k. From my searching such a thing does not exist. Are there areas near any of these schools that this might be possible. We aren't afraid of a little TLC if the home is in a good area/school district. Are there areas close in in MD - Bethesda etc?

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:50 AM

184 posts, read 498,372 times
As mentioned in this thread, Lafayette, Janney, Murch, and Key are generally considered the best (in approximately that order). Getting a house in your price range in those zones is the challenge, but as you probably know, DC area house prices have dropped a lot lately and are continuing to fall, albeit maybe not enough to make the really desirable zones affordable. Bethesda elementary schools are uniformly excellent and have the advantage of feeding into really good middle (Pyle) and high schools (Whitman is considered the gold standard, but they are all excellent). This is nice, so your kid doesn't have to start over with a new peer group in seventh grade, plus you will have the peace of mind of having a good ready-made option and not having to worry about private school admissions. You will probably have to sacrifice a walkable neighborhood, though, as there is not much available close to Bethesda's "downtown" and Whitman schools, for example, are generally further out. If you are considering Bethesda you should also look at Chevy Chase, since it abuts Bethesda and includes parts that you might think of as Bethesda (neighborhoods west of Wisconsin, for example). Most CC neighborhoods feed into Rosemary Hills ES for K-2 and then either CC or North CC elems. All are excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC