Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM

27,241 posts, read 28,308,556 times

Advertisements

I believe that America is an exceptional nation. Most other nations of the world don't "hate" us. They actually envy us and mask that as hatred.

It's not surprising, after all. Who wouldn't envy the richest and most powerful nation in the world, the only nation to land humans on the moon, and the nation that invented the internet? Just like poor people often envy rich people. It comes with the territory. I've traveled enough to know the truth.

And yes, this thread belongs in the politics forum.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-24-2011 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 02:11 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,641,738 times
I don't think most nations hate us, but I don't think all of them envy us either. The ones that hate us are probably the ones we meddle in unnecessarily, a habit we should try and break. You can't deny that the US' hands aren't totally clean (Iran-Contra scandal, United Fruit Company, funding the mujahideen, etc). We need to stop ****ing around with other nations and focus on OURSELVES.

e: Also, the internet was more of a joint venture between Europe (specifically CERN) and the US. Each deserve credit.
e2: That is, the Internet as most users know it. DARPA invented packet switching and the Internet Protocol Suite, CERN invented the World Wide Web.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:26 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,530,685 times
I think what frustrates a lot of people are our inconsistencies. A lot of people the world over respect the ideals behind "America," but aren't fans of how America applies--or doesn't apply, as the case may be--those ideals to situations around the world. As to the majority of the world having America-envy, I don't see a lot of evidence of that. I also don't see a lot of evidence that most people hate us. My experience has been that people tend to think rather highly of Americans, but that the American government is not thought of particularly highly.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 PM

27,241 posts, read 28,308,556 times
As for meddling in other country's affairs, America is damned if we do, damned if we don't.

If we do nothing about genocidal dictators, we're criticized. If we try to punish genocidal dictators, we're criticized. I've seen enough of that crap. Screw it.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:35 PM

there's a difference between intervening in a genocide and ensuring the downfall of a head of state in order to put in someone who aligns with your agenda

And if we're damned if we do, damned if we don't, then I'd rather we don't, it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,952,334 times
Regarding the amount of DC's patriotism...

DC is one of the few cities in this country that still has Memorial Day events that are widely attended and (more important) are all about honoring our vets. We have the parade, we have Rolling Thunder, we have a large number of people who show up to put flags on the graves at Arlington Cemetery.

In most other cities I've lived in, Memorial Day is mostly an excuse for a 3-day sale at the mall, and maybe they have a small parade attended only by a handful of vets. Thousands of people in DC go to Rolling Thunder and the emotion when those vets ride by is palpable. I often tear up and see a lot of others doing the same.

Last edited by Caladium; 05-25-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 06:40 PM

That is very true Caladium, but how many of those people are from DC and not from outta town?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,952,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
That is very true Caladium, but how many of those people are from DC and not from outta town?
We go, and so do a lot of people I know in Nova. I'm not sure we count as part of DC or as "out of town" though.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Hah, nah I tend to mean the metropolitan area when I say DC. I get tired of typing "DC area." Context-specific I suppose.

I try to go as well; definitely will this year, got a brand new camera that's perfect for this sort of stuff.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:27 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,613,076 times
I don't believe DC is the least patriotic, though I doubt that could even be measured. I was amazed at how many people went to the White House after Bin laden was killed, that seemed pretty patriotic to me. And the amount of military members in the area just adds to the amount of patriotism....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC