Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 03:47 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Paradoxically, I have probably heard more negative sentiments expressed about the US of A in Washington, DC than any other city. There's quite a number of the snarky, irony-laden, Europhile, transnationalistic, post-American types dwelling in this city. I often hear comments such as:

"Oh my God. Why can't we be more like Sweden?"

"America just bullies the world with its military. When will we learn that might is not right?"

"American football is so barbaric. That's why I watch the real football that ignorant Americans call soccer."

"We need to respect the basic human rights of terrorists. No Torture!"

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 03:54 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
I'm wondering why you view those types of sentiments as "negative" and unpatriotic? Does patriotism simply mean toeing the line with what the government says is right? Does patriotism mean liking only Ameri-centric sports? (And if so, would hockey qualify?) Does patriotism mean not questioning the use of military force and torture, regardless of who it is applied to?

That's all I'm going to say, because my suspicion is that this thread is more suited for the politics forum than for the DC forum.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:02 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'm wondering why you view those types of sentiments as "negative" and unpatriotic? Does patriotism simply mean toeing the line with what the government says is right? Does patriotism mean liking only Ameri-centric sports? (And if so, would hockey qualify?) Does patriotism mean not questioning the use of military force and torture, regardless of who it is applied to?

That's all I'm going to say, because my suspicion is that this thread is more suited for the politics forum than for the DC forum.
The comments, standing alone, are not per se unpatriotic. But in the contexts in which the statements were made, they came off more as an indictment of America as opposed to constructive criticism. It's like saying to your wife, "That's a really nice dress that lady's wearing. I think it would look great on you, too." Or, in the alternative, saying "Hey babe, why can't you look more like her?"

If America is so bad, then I wonder why they just don't move to some other country.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The comments, standing alone, are not per se unpatriotic. But in the contexts in which the statements were made, they came off more as an indictment of America as opposed to constructive criticism.
They're all valid questions, though. What I take issue with is this developing narrative that posits that people who ask these kind of questions are somehow unpatriotic or subpar citizens simply for holding these views or believing that these are questions worth asking. I could just as easily label as "unpatriotic" those who wish to torture, start wars, cripple social and aid programs and invoke an unsupportable view of inherent American superiority as contrary to the ideals of this country.

My guess is, you find those sentiments in somewhat greater number here in DC than elsewhere for two reasons: DC attracts people who are from all manner of countries and backgrounds, or who have experience living in other countries and cultures, and thus have a perspective on life in America that others lack; and, two, people work for the agencies and organizations who live and breathe this stuff on a daily basis, and thus find their opinions and worldviews shaped by the information and experiences they are privy to.

Regardless, I maintain that this question is inherently flawed. One can be critical of one's government and yet remain steadfast in support for and admiration of the ideals of one's country. There's nothing inherently unpatriotic about dissent. It's true of those who are anti-war and pro-human rights, and it's true of those who find their opinions on the other side of these issues.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:18 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,223 times
I think it's a good thing that so many people in this city take a dim view of ra ra nationalism. Can you imagine how militaristic and crazy our government would be if it were staffed by people who automatically thought that American was a synonym for great?

That aside, have you spent much time on the West Coast? With the exception of San Diego (the only conservative city on the West Coast), all those statements sound like ones educated young liberals would make, and that population is overrepresented on the West Coast and in DC.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
DC has no culture outside of politics.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
DC has no culture outside of politics.
Ignoring the fact that over half the population of DC has lived here for generations and has very much established its own culture, you're exactly right.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Ignoring the fact that over half the population of DC has lived here for generations and has very much established its own culture, you're exactly right.
Ghetto, street culture that thrives on violence and literally eliminating anyone not black.Sucking the funds dry while not contributing anything of substance to the community besides trash. Killing each other because people live on a different street is what is consider community. Shooting someone outside a gogo concert that only promotes more violence. Yeah. That culture.

I'll take a Starbucks over all that any day....

Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
How the hell is any of that anti-American? Liberal, sure, but not anti-American.

For instance I can't imagine why not wanting us to be the World Police is anti-American (unless you're okay with footing that gigantic bill).

DC is definitely an incredibly politically liberal city/area, but that's about it.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:40 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,405 times
If you had to choose between DC United and the Redskins, who wouldn't prefer soccer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC