Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 2,159 times

Advertisements

I'll be starting at SAIS in late July and need to find housing. Single male in his 20s.

While it's been suggested to me that I find a roommate, I don't know anyone looking for housing. I've had some great roommates in the past, but I've also had some bad ones. I'm not comfortable signing a year-long lease with someone I don't know rather well. I'm also not sure that it would save much money, since prices on 2BRs seem roughly double that of studios. I'm not willing to share a bedroom.

Commuting is one possible option. There's no parking around SAIS, though, and I don't have a car in any case. Anything not on the bus/metro would mean car, insurance, gas, and parking. Seems to kill any cost benefit. Bus/metro are a possibility, but it'd have to be a notable improvement over anything in the Dupont area.

One advantage of living in the Dupont area means I could walk to school. Anything over a half-hour one-way commute likely isn't worth it to me. I've done the full hour one-way commute thing before, and it sucks. It doesn't seem like anything within this range would save much money.

Safety is important as well. Having spent two summers living in DC, I'm well aware that this should be a major consideration. I don't need to live across the street from a homeless shelter again.

I've heard a number of SAIS students live around Columbia Heights. When I was last there two years ago, it still seemed a bit iffy in areas. If this was accurate to begin with, is this still the case? I could at least bike to school in that area.

Anyways. I'm mainly looking at the Dupont Circle vicinity (including Dupont East, Logan Circle, and the closer parts of Foggy Bottom). Studio would be fine. I can go up to 1600 or a bit more, but I want to make the most of my money. Cheaper is certainly good. 1200ish would be great.

Am I being reasonable? Are there other options I haven't considered? Is any of my information inaccurate? What would you recommend? Specifics would be great, be it on places within the Dupont Circle area or within short commuting distance.

I'll be flying out on Monday, hoping to sign a lease (for July 1st, give or take a couple weeks) on Tuesday or Wednesday. I have a number of possible leads, but I want to make sure I'm fully informed before deciding on anything.

Thanks for your help!

- Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 09:40 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
$1200 isn't doable in Dupont unless you're looking for a roomie, which doesn't seem to be in your plans. I think studios may top $1450, around there.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
You should be able to find a studio for $12-1400 within a neighborhood or two of the school - definitely a studio within $1600. English basements are a good way to get close for cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC