Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 9,573 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 kids, and I are moving from Hawaii to the D.C. area in August/Sept. Unfortunately, I am going to be working at Ft Belvoir and my husband is going to be working at Walter Reed Medical Center. We have two children (2 yrs and a 1st Grader). Does anybody know of a good area to live that won't be terrible for us trying to get to work and be able to drop kids off at daycares/schools? I will probably have to be to Ft Belvoir by 0645 and my husbands job should be more flexible on arrival time. We are open to buying or renting. Since we are coming from Hawaii, we are use to expensive rents/mortgage! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:05 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
I'd say Alexandria or Capitol Hill.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Consider living close to a Metrorail stop. Both Ft Belvoir (Blue Line) and Walter Reed (Red Line) are reasonably close to Metro stops and the bases may have shuttle buses that connect to the metrorail stops. Silver Spring is an up and coming area of the Washington suburbs, but that may make your commute too difficult. There are others here who know the Virginia suburbs better than I so I'll let them comment. If you are inclined to city life, Capitol Hill could work for you.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:28 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
Since you're tied to a schedule, I'd say find somewhere in VA near the Blue/Yellow lines. Springfield, Alexandria, or Pentagon/Crystal City are your best bets.

If you have to be at work by 0645 you'll want to drive; traffic before 0700 to Ft B. isn't that bad. Don't forget to signup for the Metro subsidy when you arrive.

Last edited by Smoke_Jaguar4; 06-01-2011 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: corrected metro info

Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'd say Alexandria or Capitol Hill.
I'm inclinded to agree. Well would of course have to recommend my neck of the woods in south Arlington as well. Either way would recommend the VA suburbs versus MD or DC.

I personally wouldn't want to metro out to Fort Belvoir even if there was a shuttle. Just sounds like an unnecessarily longer commute especially if one were to live inside the beltway and go against traffic. Although I don't profess to know how heavy traffic is around Fort Belvoir during rush hour.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:47 AM

2 posts, read 9,573 times
Thanks everyone. We were talking to another person who lives in Alexandria, close to Huntington. He said the area he lives in would be an easy drive for me to Belvoir and my husband would be able to catch a metro easily from that area. My husband will probably get a job in the next couple years in Falls Church and then I will get sent to Bethesda. It would be nice to be able to live in the same location without having to move. We really like being outside riding our bikes and running also. He said that there were good trails in the area. After living in Hawaii, I have gotten very spoiled with being able to run whenever I want, and I don't have to be worried about getting assaulted. I appreciate any feedback any body else has to give.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
For biking and running, this is one of the best area in the country for both. Here cycling is considered a viable form of commuting. Check the Washington Area Bicyclist Organization (WABA) for information on trails and events.
WABA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC