Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:20 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
DC wouldn't exist were it not for the federal government, so I'm not really getting the hand wringing about the region's dependence on the Feds. It's the city's raison d'etre, I don't see why DC or its residents need to shy away from that or apologize for it. Living in a city that is the home of the federal government of the most powerful nation on Earth provides a lot of advantages--it's one of the things that attracted me to the region.
I can't give you rep points for this, but I completely concur...except for the part about being attracted to the region. It was more of a path of least resistance issue for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What about the Dulles corridor? I think a lot of private companies(non-contractors)align the corridor with high paying tech jobs.
There are tons of jobs along the Dulles Corridor; the question is how many of them are tied directly or indirectly to Federal Government spending.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:40 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Perhaps it's because of your curiously anti-urban agenda, but you seem to be distorting Florida's position. He states the strong role government plays here (duh) but focuses on what's beyond that. Our collection of universities alone are HUGE generators of wealth. So is our medical system and our tech industry that isn't inherently tied to the feds.

I don't know anyone who claims DC as "world class", but if you've ever lived in a truly government city it becomes apparent that there's a great deal more going on here than just government and contracting.
Which universities in this area besides U. Md are "huge" generators of wealth? DC isn't Boston or Ann Arbor. And how much of the local medical research and high-tech industry isn't tied, directly or indirectly, to Federal Government spending?

I don't have an anti-urban agenda, but think a bit more modesty and self-awareness among DC-area residents who are, in one way or another, beneficiaries of our current spending priorities (which, in some respects, feels like Argentina without the good beef), would be appropriate. Not to mention caution as to how future spending cuts could affect the region.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:03 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
"DC wouldn't exist were it not for the federal government, so I'm not really getting the hand wringing about the region's dependence on the Feds"

To be fair some state capitals are very dependent on state aid as well. The trouble with capitals is much of what is in it is tax exempt. For example half of Boston is tax exempt from property taxes. PILOT programs are weird and really don't get at the point.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:40 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,806,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I don't have an anti-urban agenda, but think a bit more modesty and self-awareness among DC-area residents who are, in one way or another, beneficiaries of our current spending priorities (which, in some respects, feels like Argentina without the good beef), would be appropriate. Not to mention caution as to how future spending cuts could affect the region.
Couldn't agree any more. My opinion, of course, but this city and region are spoiled rotten to the core and way too big for its britches. Considering the mood of the country now and the latest unemployment rate showing that things are not improving with the move to 9.1% - which means the actual number is probably 15% - 20% - the DC area had better be on guard if a massive political change occurs soon. Plenty of anti-Washington sentiment out there indeed.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

Gotta agree here. Even though we're in a good position right now, NO city is recession proof.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene80 View Post
Am I really supposed to feel sorry for the economic plight of the rest of the nation where only 28% of the population even completed college? That statistic alone disturbs me more than any unemployment figures.
Not everyone is cut out for college. You need someone to fix cars, build homes, and serve your dinners.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:37 PM

311 posts, read 844,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
Couldn't agree any more. My opinion, of course, but this city and region are spoiled rotten to the core and way too big for its britches. Considering the mood of the country now and the latest unemployment rate showing that things are not improving with the move to 9.1% - which means the actual number is probably 15% - 20% - the DC area had better be on guard if a massive political change occurs soon. Plenty of anti-Washington sentiment out there indeed.
Lol I smiled because Believe me, before everyone and their MAMA wanted to work in DC after Obama was elected, Bush started laying off staff left and right to cut costs (or they just simply resigned because they just wanted OUT ). Working in the government wasn't nearly such a "Posh" status symbol as it is now, especially amongst people my age (20s). This city wasn't nearly as happy and "secure" as it is now...Heck Don't get me started on Defense workers Pre and Post Obama.....I almost want to guess how many people working for the government CURRENTLY will jump ship(or get fired) as soon as a Republican comes in...I'm democratic but even I'M not so naive to think that the country will nominate Democratic FOREVER....

This city's economy is based on the government and hence QUITE volatile depending on the mood of the country, and who has the power in Office...anyone who thinks otherwise or that D.C.'s economic party is long-term is pretty much a darned fool....I don't hate this city, I've come to " appreciate" it, but without some sort of economic diversity (and not looking down on people who want it/need it in this city since the higher-up government workers will just move and/or go into consulting gigs when push comes to shove) DC just goes through ups and downs more severely than other parts of the country......We're at a high right now but I Bet you that when we hit our low, it's gonna be a BIGGGG low....................Heck, DC residents can't even vote yet we're taxed at higher rates than half the country so I'm sure the White House wouldn't care what'd happen....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: