U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 PM

5,057 posts, read 8,359,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpop2 View Post
Arlington is pretty cookie cutter and generic. Dupont, U Street, Co Heights are far more trendy/urban. I don't contest any of that.

My beef is when people equate living anywhere within DC with living in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

DC is a fairly small city, most of which is a quiet, quasi-small town.

I went to visit a friend who lives around Petworth.
His urban experience:
1) He lives 20 minutes from the Metro (which he tells people to avoid walking at night for safety reasons).
2) There is little to no street life anywhere within walking distance of his house.
3) He has maybe 5 bars or restaurants within a 20 minute walk.
4) There are no 24-hr places to buy essentials.
5) He lives in a quite tree lined row house neighborhood, with a small yard and fence around the front.
6) He drives to the grocery store.

Now there is nothing wrong with any of this, but why must these people act like they live in LES or Williamsburg. Or compare DC to Arlington as if Manhattan vs. Jersey. For most of the District, its Staten Island/Easter Queens (w/ more crime) vs. the new stuff in Jersey.
Why are some of the new apartment buildings near Logan Circle any more or less generic or cookie-cutter than those in Clarendon? Some of the new buildings on or near U Street are pleasant enough, but they could be anywhere. Do they become magical simply because they are located on some corner where there were regularly chalk marks 15 years ago?

I've been trying some newer places in DC, and at the end of the day I think I'd be just as happy with a chain like Cosi or Au Bon Pain as with passable, but very mediocre, places like Amorini Panini in Penn Quarter or Point Chaud in Logan Circle. Just about any hole in the wall in the East Village, or any Korean bakery in Annandale, would be 50X better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:55 PM

3,548 posts, read 7,386,758 times
This is just MHO, but i think the whole "DC residents hate NoVa" thing is largely contrived by a few urbanist snobs. There's a greater density of interesting and lively neighborhoods in central DC, but is Clarendon really that different than Columbia Heights? Is King Street in Alexandria markedly different from M Street in Georgetown? Many parts of Arlington feel as if not more urban than the upper NW red line corridor.

There really aren't any NoVa equivalents to U Street or 7th Street in Penn Quarter, but by and large Arlington and Alexandria remain very much urbanized jurisdictions. (And let's not forget that without retrocession, those places would still officially be in DC anyway.)

Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM

3,548 posts, read 7,386,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I've been trying some newer places in DC, and at the end of the day I think I'd be just as happy with a chain like Cosi or Au Bon Pain as with passable, but very mediocre, places like Amorini Panini in Penn Quarter or Point Chaud in Logan Circle. Just about any hole in the wall in the East Village, or any Korean bakery in Annandale, would be 50X better.
Try Fast Gourmet sandwich shop at 14th and W--located behind the gas station there. Legitimately good sandwiches to be found there (beats the heck out of Amorini, but that's not really a fair 1:1 comparison).

I'll also add that people who say you can't get good ethnic food in DC may be partially right (although there is solid Ethiopian, Salvadoran and thai cuisine to be found), but the DC area is flooded with good places. Chinese in Rockville, Korean in Annandale, Vietnamese in Arlington...you just have to know where to go, but there are lots of good places around.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:11 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,016,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
This is just MHO, but i think the whole "DC residents hate NoVa" thing is largely contrived by a few urbanist snobs. There's a greater density of interesting and lively neighborhoods in central DC, but is Clarendon really that different than Columbia Heights? Is King Street in Alexandria markedly different from M Street in Georgetown? Many parts of Arlington feel as if not more urban than the upper NW red line corridor.

There really aren't any NoVa equivalents to U Street or 7th Street in Penn Quarter, but by and large Arlington and Alexandria remain very much urbanized jurisdictions. (And let's not forget that without retrocession, those places would still officially be in DC anyway.)
What he said. In short, some DC residents need to get over themselves and people who like Arlington should shrug their shoulders.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:21 PM

6,218 posts, read 6,072,597 times
The problem isn't the District residents who don't like Arlington, it's the Arlington residents who are so insecure about where they live that they need District residents' affirmation.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The problem isn't the District residents who don't like Arlington, it's the Arlington residents who are so insecure about where they live that they need District residents' affirmation.
Thanks for making the OP's point as well as providing an example for my post.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 PM

6,218 posts, read 6,072,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Thanks for making the OP's point as well as providing an example for my post.
Why else are people from NOVA on the District board complaining about how they are perceived by District residents? I never go on the NOVA board and ask them to heap praise on the District. If they are happy living in NOVA what District resident's believe shouldn't matter at all.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 6,701 times
Quote:
Why else are people from NOVA on the District board complaining about how they are perceived by District residents? I never go on the NOVA board and ask them to heap praise on the District. If they are happy living in NOVA what District resident's believe shouldn't matter at all.

Sorry if this question came across wrong, this isn't a question about what people in DC think about Arlington. Its was more a question of what (some) people in DC think about DC.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
If they are happy living in NOVA what District resident's believe shouldn't matter at all.
If only you posted this the first time, but you would still miss the point.

thanks anyway.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 AM
yrb

91 posts, read 191,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Because Arlington is cookie cutter....
People in Arlington don't deal with true city life. They get all the positives with out the social ills as someone else said.
What makes a city is the GOOD, BAD, and the UGLY.
No it's not. City life doesn't have to be like this. That's insane. Visit European cities to open up your mind a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC