Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:32 AM

146 posts, read 374,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
They have to try and justify why they're not an idiot for paying twice as much just to live in the District. In the end - you win - because you have more disposable income and the views of DC.
Prices in Rosslyn Ballston corridor for decent condo are just as expensive as dc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM

336 posts, read 768,390 times
Because Arlington is cookie cutter....
People in Arlington don't deal with true city life. They get all the positives with out the social ills as someone else said.
What makes a city is the GOOD, BAD, and the UGLY. D.C. has that but Arlington sure doesn't, the ghettos in Arlington are like a picnic with Mr. Rogers compared to DC's.....just a bunch of wannabe thugs and a bunch of MS-13 gang members that don't intimidate anyone. This probably goes for Bethesda as well.

Silver Spring on the other hand is much more diverse and does offer both good and bad of city living.

Ballston is cool though, its the best of the Wilson blvd corridor.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
People in Arlington don't deal with true city life. They get all the positives with out the social ills as someone else said.
What makes a city is the GOOD, BAD, and the UGLY. D.C. has that but Arlington sure doesn't, the ghettos in Arlington are like a picnic with Mr. Rogers compared to DC's.....just a bunch of wannabe thugs and a bunch of MS-13 gang members that don't intimidate anyone. This probably goes for Bethesda as well.

Silver Spring on the other hand is much more diverse and does offer both good and bad of city living.

Ballston is cool though, its the best of the Wilson blvd corridor.
Getting all the benefits of city life without the accompanying crime, grime, and social ills sound like a dream come true. And it's a decline in all those "ugly" things in DC that has brought back so many people to the city who had fled to the suburbs in the past decades. While I don't want to live in a cookie-cutter Disneyland, I also want to live in a city where it's safe to walk alone and raise a family.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:44 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
LOL someone once told me it was better to live in Newark with a view of Manhattan, than live in Manhattan with a view of Newark. Those who like Arlington should just develop a thicker skin.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
I think you might be underestimating Arlington's cost just a wee bit there.
Depends where in Arlington. Shirlington is cheaper than Dupont Circle or the downtown area.

And to the OP, check out this satire:

YouTube - ‪Arlington: The Rap‬‏

Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 AM

146 posts, read 374,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZ View Post
Getting all the benefits of city life without the accompanying crime, grime, and social ills sound like a dream come true. And it's a decline in all those "ugly" things in DC that has brought back so many people to the city who had fled to the suburbs in the past decades. While I don't want to live in a cookie-cutter Disneyland, I also want to live in a city where it's safe to walk alone and raise a family.
And thats why Arlington/Bethesda have gotten so expensive and desirable with educated professionals of all ages though it tends to skew younger in Arlington while Bethesda is more family oriented. You will see the samething happen in Whiteflint (Bethesda 2.0) and the Tysons Corner Remake

Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 AM

116 posts, read 212,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
What makes a city is the GOOD, BAD, and the UGLY. D.C. has that but
Is this supposed to be a negative? That would be a feature not a bug. I'd say that Arlington gets crap because it is all very new, and a lot of the condos look alike. It seems like the chains have moved into Arlington, and a lot of the weird quirky places that used to be there have moved on or been priced out.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Figured I'd jump in since I live in Arlington. I really like Arlington it has a city-lite feel that I find appealing. I honestly don't see Arlington as a suburb its a city in its own right but the District just happens to be bigger and right next door.

I also like the fact that I'm 10-15 minutes from downtown but I don't have to deal a lot of the problems associated with living in the District and the crime is extremely low even in areas that are a little rough-around-the-edges. I don't live in Arlington because I'm not tough. I live in Arlington because I like going out and enjoying all that the city has to offer but I don't want a longer commute to my job in Fairfax nor do I want to deal with lots of crime. Also its much easier and cheaper to maintain a vehicle in Virginia versus the District.

Yeah I've gotten my fair share of the business about where I choose to live. I'm always getting guys telling me to move to the city. I've had people who hate on VA all day and implied that because I'm black and gay I have no business livign in Virginia. I should be living in either the District or Maryland. At the end of the day I have to do what's best for Terrence.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 7,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
LOL someone once told me it was better to live in Newark with a view of Manhattan, than live in Manhattan with a view of Newark. Those who like Arlington should just develop a thicker skin.

Arlington is pretty cookie cutter and generic. Dupont, U Street, Co Heights are far more trendy/urban. I don't contest any of that.

My beef is when people equate living anywhere within DC with living in Manhattan or Brooklyn.

DC is a fairly small city, most of which is a quiet, quasi-small town.

I went to visit a friend who lives around Petworth.
His urban experience:
1) He lives 20 minutes from the Metro (which he tells people to avoid walking at night for safety reasons).
2) There is little to no street life anywhere within walking distance of his house.
3) He has maybe 5 bars or restaurants within a 20 minute walk.
4) There are no 24-hr places to buy essentials.
5) He lives in a quite tree lined row house neighborhood, with a small yard and fence around the front.
6) He drives to the grocery store.

Now there is nothing wrong with any of this, but why must these people act like they live in LES or Williamsburg. Or compare DC to Arlington as if Manhattan vs. Jersey. For most of the District, its Staten Island/Easter Queens (w/ more crime) vs. the new stuff in Jersey.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Like I said, develop a thicker skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC