U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:01 PM

67 posts, read 75,443 times

Advertisements

Yes I'm prepared Half Amazing..I'm ready to bear the shame and take the blame for my evil ways.

Conform or be cast out.

Maybe this thread will even get locked.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,696,723 times
I take a lot more away from that than Feminism is making women miserable. I guess in order to be a hipster you have to have the exact opposite views of hipsterdom. Or he grew out of it.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM

Actually I think that hipster label was put on him against his will. Being that VICE magazine was sort of popular with the younger, edgier counter culture crowd and yeah he had the tattoos and unshaven look before it was "cool" so, other more main stream media sources sort of gave him that label.

BTW BTSilver - did you just generalize hipsters? How dare you!

I don't think that the bearded, flanneled, spectacled "hipster" is marked as being necessarily left leaning.anymore than I think the wearing of sperry boat shoes and a sweater tied around your neck identifies someone as an assh0le or a republican.

Anyhow, I really feel like what he said was not anti women's rights and not really risque at all. Having children is a choice of course, and I don't think it is for everyone, but what he mentions about that beautiful part of life being trivialized is very very true.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:48 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,934,712 times
I think there is a meaningful difference between reasonable generalizations and implausible exaggerations.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:05 PM

So can we talk about what the article said?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:10 PM

I think I've defined my specific points clearly enough. You can try to recast them to something more than they were if you want.

I specifically mentioned the usefulness of generalizations in my recent posts. I would like to think that kind of disclaimer should be taken for granted in an adult conversation, but i suspected that one or two posters would try to deflect to avoid actually taking up the points I was making.

Last edited by KStreetQB; 10-25-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-25-2013, 02:35 PM

I might be missing something, but I'm not talking about you generalizing. I really thought the article was interesting and was at least somewhat relevant to this and a few other threads here concerning the sexes, dating et al.

Does anyone have anything to mention about the article?

Old 10-25-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco81 View Post
I might be missing something, but I'm not talking about you generalizing. I really thought the article was interesting and was at least somewhat relevant to this and a few other threads here concerning the sexes, dating et al.

Does anyone have anything to mention about the article?
Hmm, didn't realize the article mentioned the generalization police, or an oppressive forum regime that locks threads for non-conformity. Please don't let me interrupt the discussion of the article though.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:14 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,199,503 times
Did anyone actually, decide when the female can't have babies at what age??? And what they can't do after that age?

And how the society will judge her on how she did it?

Happiness isn't what you're trying to achieve. It just happens, without you knowing it. Don't worry. Worry about what you really want. Then, one day, you'll find that place where it's warm and inspiring. Screw society. They owe you as much as how much they take from you, and that's it.

You deserve better, and you need to feel what that happiness, without you knowing, feels like. That euphoria that nobody can describe it to you.

It's when you're happy when you see that person, or you're fulfilled when you're alone with that person. That's what love is and that's what happiness is, because you're smiling without even you knowing because of that person.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Plokivos - Those stats about female fertility are all over the internet, you can find them around every corner. Also, the people who point out the occasional 43 y/o who gives birth to a healthy and normal baby, do not need to apply that same fertility (or medical upgrade she received) to all women.

FYI - I do feel like people can do things on their own timeline. I am not one to criticize someone for having a kid too young or too old. I do however, completely see the point of view that the author makes in that being "Just a mom" has been belittled and trivialized in our modern culture. Also I have seen first hand the example of the career minded cat lady, who really is missing something in her life. Again I do not think that having kids is the answer for everyone, but to some extent we are driven towards reproduction , nurturing and caring for other humans just biologically. No amount of Mercedes Benz' or singles cruises can change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC