Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
There is so much truth in this post! When I first moved to NoVA/DC there weren't AS many preppy/frat boy types, but now Arlington and DC are over-saturated with douchiness...even areas of DC that I thought would never become douche hangouts have now converted/or are converting to bro fests (Petworth anyone?)
They got Petworth as well? Damn. The only consolation is that minus the rowhouses, Petworth wasn't really a desirable place pre-gentrification. I guess the only hope for those who want to stay in DC but not deal with frat-bros and preppy-powerwhores is to find neighborhoods NOT Metro accessible and DON'T spread the word around to the point it becomes "hip and trendy". As for H St NE, enjoy it while you can, because when the streetcar is complete, the days of the quirky H St vibe are numbered. And especially when they extend it to K St NW, consider anything unique and authentic about that neighborhood dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerstars View Post
The worst part is that these bros (and their female counterparts) are just so damn insular AND uninteresting. It's not fun going out to meet people when the people have no desire to branch out, and are boring to boot.
That's the DC nightlife in a nutshell. Basically a bunch of cliques from their freshmen year of college basking in their own overinflated self-importance while talking trash about other people who actually had the balls to move to a new place for their career without the safety of a social groups for "networking". As "rude" as NYC is, and as "shallow" as Los Angeles is, the BS one faces in DC isn't even as rampant in NYC and LA.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 04-25-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM

339 posts, read 836,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
I guess the only hope for those who want to stay in DC but not deal with frat-bros and preppy-powerwhores is to find neighborhoods NOT Metro accessible and DON'T spread the word around to the point it becomes "hip and trendy". As for H St NE, enjoy it while you can, because when the streetcar is complete, the days of the quirky H St vibe are numbered. And especially when they extend it to K St NW, consider anything unique and authentic about that neighborhood dead.

Yup! You hit the nail on the head! That's why the south of dupont bars on Conn. ave are the absolute worst place for a single man. Those bars are too accessible for the cliquey yuppy crowd. Farragut north,Farragut west and Dupont metro stations are walking distance away. Plus there is plenty of parking because it's not a residential neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 PM

189 posts, read 362,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
The thing is that most women around here prefer the "douchey-frat boy" type. If the "douchey-frat boy" dude is on the lawyer, business consulting, public relations/lobbying career track then women will line up around the block for him.

I have already posted a gazillion times why this is so prevalent in the DC singles market. The DC women have accomplished records with their educational, professional and volunteering experiences. And they are still in the process of "changing the world" and moving up the POWER food chain. Women don't downgrade their standards. You can be a generous, thoughtful, funny, spontaneous, and creative dude. But you are not special in Washington, DC if you have these qualities. Single women are far more willing to gloss over personality faults if her date happens to be a lawyer, architect, business consultant or some other high-income professional. In other words, they would rather marry an azz hole who can provide a lifetime of financial security and good lifestyle than the poorer, less-educated nicest, funniest guy in the city.

With Washington, DC women--a man giving love is not enough.

Giving some love:

with $100,000+ budgeted wedding and reception in some exclusive resort in some affluent town

with a 5-bedroom house in an affluent neighborhood (i.e. Bethesda, McLean, N. Arlington, Tenleytown, Palisades, Chevy Chase, Great Falls etc.) with a big yard and a white picket fence

with a Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Acura in the garage

with full-time nannies or au pairs

with a husband making enough income so the wife can take a few years off from the working world so she can "raise" her kids despite a full-time nanny or au pair in the house

with exclusive private schools for the kiddies who are bound for Ivy some day

with one month vacations to exotic locations around the world

...that clinches the deal with college-educated DC area women. This is their future vision. If your values don't align with her vision, you ain't gonna get much love in return.
I dont really understand one thing...you absolutely hate it here. Why don't you move your butt? Life is too short to waste it in a city you so despise, and luckily USA is a big country.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Where exactly did I go against myself? I wasn't addressing the other person's response or "siding with the female".

You took issue with a post for 'stereotyping a gender' on the 34th page of this thread. I remarked that the thread has been dominated by stereotyping. Now if you had not noticed that until the 34th page of this thread, it definitely begs the question of sharpness.

i was responding to the above post in that response,
not the whole thread, man. you are a man, right?

you're cool with me, regardless if we agree or not tho.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:35 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
i was responding to the above post in that response,
not the whole thread, man. you are a man, right?

you're cool with me, regardless if we agree or not tho.
And I was responding to your post. Not another post in the thread. You know, the one I quoted in my post. Remarking that the entire thread has been filled with stereotyping. Not taking 'her' side. How is that hard to comprehend?

Last edited by KStreetQB; 04-26-2013 at 11:52 AM..

Old 04-26-2013, 12:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
^ forget about it. it's not hard to comprehend
that you were reminding me that the whole
thread was stereotyping women. ok, you're
right.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:17 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,308 times
lol yall should jus go get some drinks together already

Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
The thing is that most women around here prefer the "douchey-frat boy" type. If the "douchey-frat boy" dude is on the lawyer, business consulting, public relations/lobbying career track then women will line up around the block for him.

I have already posted a gazillion times why this is so prevalent in the DC singles market. The DC women have accomplished records with their educational, professional and volunteering experiences. And they are still in the process of "changing the world" and moving up the POWER food chain. Women don't downgrade their standards. You can be a generous, thoughtful, funny, spontaneous, and creative dude. But you are not special in Washington, DC if you have these qualities. Single women are far more willing to gloss over personality faults if her date happens to be a lawyer, architect, business consultant or some other high-income professional. In other words, they would rather marry an azz hole who can provide a lifetime of financial security and good lifestyle than the poorer, less-educated nicest, funniest guy in the city.

With Washington, DC women--a man giving love is not enough.

Giving some love:

with $100,000+ budgeted wedding and reception in some exclusive resort in some affluent town

with a 5-bedroom house in an affluent neighborhood (i.e. Bethesda, McLean, N. Arlington, Tenleytown, Palisades, Chevy Chase, Great Falls etc.) with a big yard and a white picket fence

with a Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Acura in the garage

with full-time nannies or au pairs

with a husband making enough income so the wife can take a few years off from the working world so she can "raise" her kids despite a full-time nanny or au pair in the house

with exclusive private schools for the kiddies who are bound for Ivy some day

with one month vacations to exotic locations around the world

...that clinches the deal with college-educated DC area women. This is their future vision. If your values don't align with her vision, you ain't gonna get much love in return.
I dunno man.....that still doesn't sound good enough......what is his family/religious background like? Lets not forget political affiliations.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Bloomberg loves ruffling the feathers of people in the other Bos-Wash cities it seems.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:08 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
So, Im here to report some findings. As i said, im not a person of absolute. I am a people watcher and always assessing people on my commute home, on the bus, and at the gym.

I visited some higher-end restaurants and lounges last weekend. Sax is a great place for an older crowd. But again, these guys won't give up their suits and ties. There was a great mix of lebanese, white, black, eastern european, and asian women that night. There was sexiness I tell you! But the men were petrified in their tight euro cut suits. But one thing that struck me, there were several tables of women sitting looking bored to death. Very strange. The men were oddly watching my every move as if I was going to make a move on their women; holding their women's hands as they passed by me. I wasn't wearing a suit but rather I was sporting a miami look that night- form fitted jacket, light green low-cut V Tee, and form fitted jeans. I must say, there was absolutely more men then women from what it appeared.

Anyway, I visited a few LA fitnesses in Arlington and Woodbridge throughout the week. I am not surprised but the gym is where i have seen the most fit men/women in town thus far. I guess do to concentration.

As far as women, Im leaning towards "it all depends on where you go". Women are friendly and easy to to talk to. I have my preferance so for me, im good. But on a regular basis, I still haven't been wowed like when I walk at the malls in NY, NJ, or south florida. Even a midnight walk through the super walmart center in Miami you are bound to see a few MILFS. Haven't seen it here. But i like em thick and average looking so beauty for me is a non-issue. And DC does have some thick ones in all colors eh...

But here is the thing folks, you have to be willing to hit up the spots. Unfortunately, many of these spots are late night venues.

So after 1 month- I really feel as if im "settling" based on my surroundings and what DC has to offer in terms of initial physical appeal. But women are extremely approachable and you can carry a great convo. Still, there is nothing to write home about. 8-10s are pretty rare- I mean rare! (as any reasonable and prudent person would consider an 8-10). I don't really see any true fashion in men's wear. But the men do know how to dress up for a meeting...

Til next time...

Last edited by halfamazing; 05-03-2013 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC