U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 PM

163 posts, read 656,783 times
Default Smithsonian: Carry-in, Water Bottles and Snacks

Unclear on the security policies.

Can we carry a water bottle in and have lite snacks in a fannypak (peanuts/gorpm)?

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:12 PM

187 posts, read 200,753 times
Yes. That shouldn't be a problem.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
National Art Gallery is more strict than others, to protect the art. You can have a water bottle in your bag but cannot take it out while in the museum--not even in the restroom vestibule or other areas away from the art. If you don't have a bag to put it in, they won't let you bring it in. They want you to have a place to put it away so they can clearly see that it IS put away. Other museums are slightly less strict--you can have food and water but cannot eat or drink in the galleries, only in other areas like hallways or lobbies.

Don't wear a fanny pack. Just don't.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 AM

245 posts, read 301,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
National Art Gallery is more strict than others, to protect the art. You can have a water bottle in your bag but cannot take it out while in the museum--not even in the restroom vestibule or other areas away from the art. If you don't have a bag to put it in, they won't let you bring it in. They want you to have a place to put it away so they can clearly see that it IS put away. Other museums are slightly less strict--you can have food and water but cannot eat or drink in the galleries, only in other areas like hallways or lobbies.

Don't wear a fanny pack. Just don't.
I agree with this completely. I bring things into all the museums, and I have only had a problem at NGA (which is actually not a Smithonian museum). I didn't have a bag when I carried my closed water bottle across the underground pathway, and they made me go to the bathroom to throw it away.

And, seriously, do not wear a fanny pack!!!!!!!!! There is never a good reason.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:27 AM

4,033 posts, read 5,066,255 times
I've been to the museums with a bookbag and it wasn't a problem but yeah the NGA was definitely annoyingly strict to the point where I won't even bother bringing a bookbag into that museum anymore. The rest not a problem some will make you check the book bag though. They'll definitely rifle through your fanny pack but I agree with others leave the fanny pack at home. Just not aesthetically pleasing.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:15 PM

thx for the input!

We are quite fond of the hands free utility offered by the 'fannypack'. With a waterbottle holster, each can accommodate many items: camera, snack, maps, tickets, band-aids, cell, compass,...

NGA may not be an issue. 11yo DS not big on art.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:34 AM

245 posts, read 301,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunWon View Post
thx for the input!

We are quite fond of the hands free utility offered by the 'fannypack'. With a waterbottle holster, each can accommodate many items: camera, snack, maps, tickets, band-aids, cell, compass,...

NGA may not be an issue. 11yo DS not big on art.
Use a backpack if you must, but please don't wear a fanny pack. Not only does it look absolutely horrible, but it is sets you up to be a victim. My in-laws (from Ohio) use fanny packs and wear mom-jeans. Every time they come to visit, someone tries to scam them or rob them. They think this area is very dangerous. On the other hand, we walk around every single day - with a kid and lunch and water and phone and crayons and tons of other "necessary" stuff - not wearing obvious I'm-a-dork-tourist gear, and we haven't had any such thing happen to us. If you look that unsavvy, people assume you are an easy target. Avoid it by not looking like a dork.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 PM

have the shoulder back-pack in the chariot. But I am no Nancy-boy and so would not be mistaken as a target.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:38 PM

1,102 posts, read 897,416 times
I honesty don't care about the airport security deals, since i don't ever fly, because... you know why. I would rather drive 15 hours than fly.

But I agree with the museum policy. The stuff in there isn't something that you could rebuild or re-make.

It's a valuable human asset and discovery that should be here long time after we're all gone.

This goes same with the fine arts.

Just drink your stuff, and don't complaint too much. Trust me, it could be worst. We could be all throwing grenades and shooting people to fight for our rights and freedom (IF we had that chance).

Somewhere else, someone who's just like us is dying of a bullet wound to the stomach, because he believes that he wants his own freedom from oppression. Meanwhile, we have the luxury to do whatever we want, say whatever we want and act as how we want.

From our world as it is now, we have all the freedom that our great, great parents didn't have, and if we complaint about it, you're nothing but someone who can't understand what it meant to go to war knowing it's a certain death.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:18 AM

39 posts, read 45,584 times
I carry a totebag (21 x 13") everywhere I go and the last time I went to the NGA, on Memorial Day weekend, they made me drop it off in the checkroom, even though I hadn't had to when I brought it into the same museum on previous occasions. Maybe it's just when it's really crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC