Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Building it at Poplar Point (or nearby Buzzard Point) would have been a great idea.
Yeah, except DC officials didn't want the Gaylord competing against the DC Convention Center. As if it doesn't do that by being located in PG County.

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,714,913 times
I actually like that it is not in the city. It draws a slightly older, maturer crowd without all the pretentiousness I see in DC clubs sometimes.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:28 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
I actually like that it is not in the city. It draws a slightly older, maturer crowd without all the pretentiousness I see in DC clubs sometimes.
Me too. It's an escape from the city. Same thing with Annapolis or Old Town.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Me too. It's an escape from the city. Same thing with Annapolis or Old Town.

We saw it and said it could make a good spot to move as empty nesters, if you can find what you like in its housing options (older areas of course have more variety). It seems kind of isolated though.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,559,551 times
Quote:
Well, there's "not in the city" and there is "isolated and difficult to get to". National Harbor falls into the latter. There are plenty of developments in and around DC that attract an older mix of patrons that aren't so disconnected from the city. I just dislike the fact that National Harbor is so far away from most DC-area population centers, and the District is missing out on such a sizeable amount of tax revenue.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:12 PM

I really don't think it takes a long time to get to the harbor personally. Maybe, I am bias cause I live in SW but it has always been a fairly quick drive.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,150,927 times
Quote:
I really don't think it takes a long time to get to the harbor personally. Maybe, I am bias cause I live in SW but it has always been a fairly quick drive.
Is there a water taxi from the waterfront? I've been to the Harbor like 3 times. But if I can take a water taxi or something, I'd go more often.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:18 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:

Im not sure. For empty nesting we would ideally like someplace either with with pedestrian access to more than is at NH itself, or transit. Im not sure how good the bus service there is, or how useful the boats are. For highway access, its at least close to Alexandria as well as SW and SE DC.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Is there a water taxi from the waterfront? I've been to the Harbor like 3 times. But if I can take a water taxi or something, I'd go more often.
Yep, there is a watertaxi here.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:56 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, there's "not in the city" and there is "isolated and difficult to get to". National Harbor falls into the latter. There are plenty of developments in and around DC that attract an older mix of patrons that aren't so disconnected from the city. I just dislike the fact that National Harbor is so far away from most DC-area population centers, and the District is missing out on such a sizeable amount of tax revenue.
I don't know. I think of Dulles as being "isolated and difficult to get to." I don't really think of the National Harbor that way. It's not anymore isolated than Old Town. It takes about the same amount of time to get there from the city. And in reality, both lack Metro service (I say "reality" because the King Street stop off the Yellow Line is pretty far from Old Town). The only difference is that Old Town has a more "authentic" urban feel to it whereas the Harbor is akin to an upscale Downtown Silver Spring on the River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC