U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM

223 posts, read 1,050,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
This should really be qualified. Much of Capitol Hill, including Eastern Market, is in SE, and that is certainly a fine area for tourists. Nationals Park is also in SE.

What you're really referring to is the area in SE DC east of the Anacostia, and there's really very little reason for a tourist to ever end up there.
I echo this. Summarizing each D.C. quadrant in three words or less is misleading and incorrect. Anybody who lives in the area should know better. Each quadrant has safe areas, unsafe areas, and borderline areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 02:58 PM

196 posts, read 524,992 times
Can I get a clarification on this? What is considered "northwest" "northeast" etc.? What is the point to know what is north or south?

That would help me out in looking at maps. (Trying to find hotel to walk to Nat. Mall)

thanks!!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:46 AM

371 posts, read 1,020,316 times
Something that alot of people miss, but should definatly see is the National Archives. That is where our countrys Declaration of Independence, The Constitution and all of the supporting documents are on display. It is free to get in and there are a lot of other things to see inside. There is also a great gift shop.
Something I also haven't seen mentioned, since it was asked about elderly and getting from one point to another, there are ...hmmm..not sure what to call them...but maybe they are called Bike Taxi's, around the National Mall area, Smithsonian, Capitol, etc. You can hire them to give you a lift or just for a scenic ride. There is a person who peddles the bike cart and two riders can sit back and enjoy the ride. For Elderly you might want to be sure to bring an umbrella for shade while walking or resting. My elderly mother in law came from New Mexico and we had to purchase an umbrella for her to help keep cool.
If you do some advance planning, you can also rent wheelchairs or motorized scooters for daily, weekly or monthly use. We rented a wheelchair from a medical supply company for the week that MIL was here. She is not wheel chair bound, but walking long distances would tire her out. She resisted at first, but boy was she glad for that chair after just a short while.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:51 PM

51 posts, read 106,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciac View Post
Can I get a clarification on this? What is considered "northwest" "northeast" etc.? What is the point to know what is north or south?

That would help me out in looking at maps. (Trying to find hotel to walk to Nat. Mall)

thanks!!
For purposes of determining which quadrant of DC you are in, the Capitol is considered the center of DC (though geographically it's far from the center of DC). So if you're NW of the Capitol, you're in NW, if you're SE of the Capitol you're in SE, etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM

3,548 posts, read 7,405,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgcards View Post
For purposes of determining which quadrant of DC you are in, the Capitol is considered the center of DC (though geographically it's far from the center of DC). So if you're NW of the Capitol, you're in NW, if you're SE of the Capitol you're in SE, etc.
Also, the quadrant designation is included in all DC addresses, because there can be as many as four of the same street address within the District's borders (i.e. 100 K Street NW, 100 K Street NE...). So when you direct your cab driver to take you to 6th and D streets, you need to specify which quadrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC