U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,529,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Again, how many people actually take Metro to Adams-Morgan on a Friday night? The people going to Georgetown aren't taking Metro there, right? I would say 70 percent of the people who go out on a Friday night in DC drive, 25 percent cab it, and another 5 percent take Metro. These are just my guesstimates, of course, but it's pretty clear that there are way more drivers in DC during the weekend than there are Metro riders. If the absence of Metro doesn't deter people from going to Georgetown (which has no Metro access), then why would it deter people from going to H Street?

That last part of your post assumes that Metro would be more convenient for most (or even a lot of people). Sure, Metro is convenient when you live in Rosslyn, and work around Metro Center, and driving into work would cost you $20 per day or a nearly equivalent amount in parking tickets. But it's not so convenient if you're heading to U Street on a Saturday night, have to ride all the way down to Metro Center, transfer to get to Gallery Place, and then transfer to get to U Street. That's a lot of work! You'd be better off just driving or calling a cab.

And the example above is just about people who actually live near Metro. Someone driving in from Laurel is not going to park at Greenbelt and ride into the city just to go to U Street.
I'd say way more than 5% take Metro on a typical weekend. A good number of people in Georgetown walk from Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn, but probably more drive to Georgetown than Adams Morgan. Hard to tell the percentages, but there's a steady stream of people on feet going in all directions from Adams Morgan to Woodley Park / U Street / Dupont Circle Metros to beat the 3 am Metro closing and there's really not that much parking in the area. I see mostly VA / MD plates driving.

Maybe it's just the circles I run in, but very few people drive on the weekends unless we're going to the burbs (not only the hassle of parking, but also they want to drink and not worry about it).

...and most people drove to Dream because it was the it place for a while and there was no other option to get there. I remember watching people walk those back streets just casing cars in the wide open. I cabbed it after seeing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 AM

2,135 posts, read 3,416,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I'd say way more than 5% take Metro on a typical weekend. A good number of people in Georgetown walk from Foggy Bottom or Rosslyn, but probably more drive to Georgetown than Adams Morgan. Hard to tell the percentages, but there's a steady stream of people on feet going in all directions from Adams Morgan to Woodley Park / U Street / Dupont Circle Metros to beat the 3 am Metro closing and there's really not that much parking in the area. I see mostly VA / MD plates driving.

Maybe it's just the circles I run in, but very few people drive on the weekends unless we're going to the burbs (not only the hassle of parking, but also they want to drink and not worry about it).

...and most people drove to Dream because it was the it place for a while and there was no other option to get there. I remember watching people walk those back streets just casing cars in the wide open. I cabbed it after seeing that.
This is what I was trying to say, just wouldn't come out right. My buddies have done this on several occasions, driving into the city to go out, leaving their car parked somewhere so that they can pick it up the next morning. It's a hassle.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 AM

4,037 posts, read 7,852,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
It'd be the next hot area if it were metro accessible. Unfortunate the street cars won't be ready until 2013.
Quote:
Adams-Morgan is not very Metro accessible. And Georgetown is not Metro accessible at all. That hasn't stopped the nightlife in those places from thriving.

And as I mentioned before, nobody really takes Metro to U Street anyway. There's a reason why it's so hard to find a parking space there on a Friday night. There are just as many people from MD and VA, if not more, who party in DC, and they are not riding the Blue-Orange Line into town at 11:30 at night. If a place is cool enough, people will drive to it. And since H Street is a pretty central location, most people won't feel like they're going out of their way to get there.
Well there are metro stops to those places. They just aren't right on top of the action liike the U street metro. Adams Morgan is still walking distance to Woodley Park. Georgetown is walking distance to Foggy Bottom. H street is a little further from the metro but walking from Union Station isn't completely out of the question. Also a lot of people just take cabs when they want to go out anyways.

The only time I've partied on H street I parked at a friend's house that lives in Capitol Hill and we just walked to the H street. Granted it wasn't a short walk. Also I will say that it is indeed a better spot than Pennsylvania Avenue for partying. Although I wouldn't even call Eastern Market a party spot. I would call that a restaurant row with a couple of neighborhood bars.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

I'd say more than 5% take Metro as well. Although I still would say that there's more that drive and cab versus takling the metro because it is indeed a hassle to change trains. I did a mixture last weekend. I drove on Friday night and cabbed it on Saturday night.

As far as not driving on the weekends. Most people I know who live in the city and have cars are all about using them on the weekends. They typically don't drive to work but will drive everywhere else. If I worked downtown that would probably be me unless I had access to free or cheap parking.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 AM

27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'd say more than 5% take Metro as well. Although I still would say that there's more that drive and cab versus takling the metro because it is indeed a hassle to change trains. I did a mixture last weekend. I drove on Friday night and cabbed it on Saturday night.

As far as not driving on the weekends. Most people I know who live in the city and have cars are all about using them on the weekends. They typically don't drive to work but will drive everywhere else. If I worked downtown that would probably be me unless I had access to free or cheap parking.
I think Manhattan is the only place you could really live without a car and not feel like you're at a disadvantage in some way. When I'm in Brooklyn, I always drive. I don't live far from U Street, but I definitely drove there last night. I drive to the AMC in Georgetown. I drive to the Wharf. I drive to Giant. I drive to the Target in Columbia Heights. I suppose I could plan out a bus trip, or just catch the Green Line up to Target, but why do that if it only takes me a few minutes to drive there?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I think Manhattan is the only place you could really live without a car and not feel like you're at a disadvantage in some way. When I'm in Brooklyn, I always drive. I don't live far from U Street, but I definitely drove there last night. I drive to the AMC in Georgetown. I drive to the Wharf. I drive to Giant. I drive to the Target in Columbia Heights. I suppose I could plan out a bus trip, or just catch the Green Line up to Target, but why do that if it only takes me a few minutes to drive there?
Well there you go. I'm seeing someone who doesn't drive and he's happy as a clam. Although he too occasionally longs for some wheels. He gets by fine with the occasional zip car. DC is a city where depending on one's lifestyle one can live just fine without a car. However, the world won't end if one has a car. My issue with having a car in the city is the high insurance rates and the higher prices for gas. The parking can be a bear in the more trendy neighborhoods as well. Like I wouldn't dream of living in Dupont and owning a car but I know someone who does just that (but he also reverse commutes to VA). The majority of people I know in Dupont and Logan Circle don't have cars though.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM

717 posts, read 1,302,915 times
Surprisingly my insurance actually went down when I moved back into DC 2 years ago. Maybe it's cause I was coming from PG where you'd see cars with rims gone, left on cinder blocks in the morning lol.

Anyway, it's not as much of a hassle as I thought it would be. Sure maybe once or twice a month it's tough to find a spot to park on the street if you come back late at night. The only real painful thing was spending an entire day at the DMV to get your car registered. Everything else after that is done online. Having a car has been very convenient especially if you have family/friends in the nearby suburbs, and also makes going to the store much easier if you're buying any bigger items. Like Bajan mentioned earlier, the AM/Gtown/UStreet scene does get tiring sometimes, so it's nice to be able to drive out to Bmore or Annapolis whenever you want without depending on a bus. The pros definitely outweigh the cons for me.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 PM

11 posts, read 14,342 times
What is going to happen to the north eastern section of the Trinidad area? Do you see the new development reaching out as far as the Arboretum? Or would you say it's mostly going to affect H street and it's close in proximity?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:42 AM

2,135 posts, read 3,416,351 times
Probably just H Street, and even then I still don't see H street blowing up until 2013. Once the trolley is up and running, the area is going to explode. I would have bought there, but the lack of public transportation made it a deal breaker.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 AM

3,548 posts, read 7,385,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Probably just H Street, and even then I still don't see H street blowing up until 2013. Once the trolley is up and running, the area is going to explode. I would have bought there, but the lack of public transportation made it a deal breaker.
I think people are putting WAY too much stock into what the streetcar--if indeed it ever does get built--will do for H Street. The "connection" to Union Station is going to be a tremendous hassle and has been poorly planned. I just don't see that many people bothering to Metro to Union Station, taking 5-7 minutes to exit the Metro and walk around to the back of Union Station, then waiting for the streetcar to whisk them 8-10 blocks down H Street.

If they ever manage to launch the streetcar, it will attract some riders at first out of sheer curiosity. But once that initial curiosity has worn off, I suspect that most people will revert back to what they're doing now: driving, cabbing or walking there.

Which is not to say that I don't think H Street will continue to grow and evolve. I think we're long past the point where that question needs to be asked. But if the question is how substantial of an impact the streetcar will bring to the corridor, my best guess is "not much."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or