U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 AM

8,664 posts, read 10,471,344 times

Advertisements

I think the impact of transit on nightlife areas is less that people take transit on saturday night to get there, but that it makes the area more desirable for residential development, which in turn provides more critical mass for retail, restaurants, etc.

As for the impact of the street car on H street, Im not sure. I suspect it will add to the aura of the street. It may do more for the farther end of the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM

2,141 posts, read 3,477,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I think people are putting WAY too much stock into what the streetcar--if indeed it ever does get built--will do for H Street. The "connection" to Union Station is going to be a tremendous hassle and has been poorly planned. I just don't see that many people bothering to Metro to Union Station, taking 5-7 minutes to exit the Metro and walk around to the back of Union Station, then waiting for the streetcar to whisk them 8-10 blocks down H Street.

If they ever manage to launch the streetcar, it will attract some riders at first out of sheer curiosity. But once that initial curiosity has worn off, I suspect that most people will revert back to what they're doing now: driving, cabbing or walking there.

Which is not to say that I don't think H Street will continue to grow and evolve. I think we're long past the point where that question needs to be asked. But if the question is how substantial of an impact the streetcar will bring to the corridor, my best guess is "not much."
Yeah, I'm just going by what I've read, that it's somehow suppose to connect H Street with the rest of the city.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:26 AM

3,548 posts, read 7,472,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I think the impact of transit on nightlife areas is less that people take transit on saturday night to get there, but that it makes the area more desirable for residential development, which in turn provides more critical mass for retail, restaurants, etc.
There's certainly something to be said for that--indeed, the perceived permanency of streetcar tracks was one of the strongest arguments put forth by streetcar supporters as to why a streetcar was preferable to a bus or Circulator line. The infrastructure sends a message that the city is investing in the corridor and that the line cannot be easily relocated.

But I remain unconvinced that the streetcar is going to be much more than one of multiple transit options for people in the neighborhood, and I don't really see it as being a significant catalyst for development. H Street's renaissance began in the early part of the last decade, long before any concrete plans for a streetcar line were in place. I would argue that the northward gentrification of Capitol Hill and Stanton Park, the ongoing development of the NoMa neighborhood, the continued investment by entrepreneurs and developers in the corridor and the city's ongoing general renaissance have and will continue to play a much larger role in the evolution of H Street than the streetcar line will.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:47 AM

172 posts, read 122,529 times
Well, well, well! Look what we have here. Alot sure has changed for both corridor's over the past 6 years.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:04 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,705 posts, read 3,191,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
Well, well, well! Look what we have here. Alot sure has changed for both corridor's over the past 6 years.
And still changing...I can only imagine the next 5-10.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:58 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,333,025 times
Default boredatwork

Yea U street is some pure BS right now. maybe things will be better in the summer time. I dont even turn my head to look at women on U street anymore bc it seems like all I see is transplants or college kids or men walking with men alittle too close. They overdid it with the gentrification on U street its not really fun anymore.

H-street is a better mix and has a more authentic feel. You see the gentrifiers more mixed in with the locals. Theres something for everybody on H street.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:41 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,705 posts, read 3,191,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Yea U street is some pure BS right now. maybe things will be better in the summer time. I dont even turn my head to look at women on U street anymore bc it seems like all I see is transplants or college kids or men walking with men alittle too close. They overdid it with the gentrification on U street its not really fun anymore.

H-street is a better mix and has a more authentic feel. You see the gentrifiers more mixed in with the locals. Theres something for everybody on H street.
So your use of words like "transplant" and "gentrifiers" are just code for white people correct?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM

172 posts, read 230,421 times
When it comes to a mix of retail, restaurants, bars, residential living, walkable/bike-able/metro accessible, and amount of foot traffic. U Street is easily in the top 2 most vibrant neighborhoods in the DMV.

H Street is coming along nicely, but is not on the same level yet (not sure if it ever will be).
In my opinion, the streetcar has been a dud for H Street. Amateurish execution.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:37 PM

2,696 posts, read 1,790,705 times
I doubt H street will ever be at the level of U Street. The Metro access is the main reason. I know the streetcar is there, but you can't compare an extensive subway system that covers the majority of the Metro area with a streetcar that can move about 50 people at a time.

H street will definitely become more popular as NoMa ups its density in the next few years, but I doubt it will ever reach U street levels. Most likely, H Street will stay a local hot spot for people who live in close proximity to it. At best it might eventually become a Georgetown for hipsters.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:18 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,333,025 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
So your use of words like "transplant" and "gentrifiers" are just code for white people correct?
...just the ones that look like they're from Fargo, ND
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or