Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:21 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Yea U street is some pure BS right now. maybe things will be better in the summer time. I dont even turn my head to look at women on U street anymore bc it seems like all I see is transplants or college kids or men walking with men alittle too close. They overdid it with the gentrification on U street its not really fun anymore.

H-street is a better mix and has a more authentic feel. You see the gentrifiers more mixed in with the locals. Theres something for everybody on H street.
get ready almost all of DC is gonna be like this within the next 20 years....if not sooner....

but to answer the OP H street is roughly where U Street was 7-10 years ago.....

U street is the new Georgetown but with better metro access....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
U street is the new Georgetown but with better metro access....
That's a bit of a stretch.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:16 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Right now U Street. But in 10 years I could see the Atlas District catching up.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:17 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,760 times
H Street has the streetcar. Go, H Street.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:18 AM

111 posts, read 148,609 times
I think its time to revisit this question. H Street is about to explode with all the new development going on.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:27 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
U Street is currently the front runner, but H Street is hot on its heels. Does H Street have the infrastructure to take over U Street as the city's prime nightlife destination or does U Street's Metro accessibility, proximity to Adams-Morgan and location in Northwest DC give it an insurmountable advantage?

Which street has (or will have) a better streetscape, better bars/restaurants, and more pedestrian traffic?
H Street is still ghetto and attracts a lot of very early 20 something's. Last time I was there I saw very young women in mini-skirts in the dead of winter. It was ridiculous. Also, lots of homeless and druggies on H Street. I feel U Street is, and will be, much better for years to come. It attracts a more mature crowd and the neighboring communities offer much more. Near H Street you have Ivy City which is being gentrified very slowly and the 1 mile walk up there is very seedy.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:34 AM

111 posts, read 148,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
H Street is still ghetto and attracts a lot of very early 20 something's. Last time I was there I saw very young women in mini-skirts in the dead of winter. It was ridiculous. Also, lots of homeless and druggies on H Street. I feel U Street is, and will be, much better for years to come. It attracts a more mature crowd and the neighboring communities offer much more. Near H Street you have Ivy City which is being gentrified very slowly and the 1 mile walk up there is very seedy.
I think you have to divide H Street into two different areas. Everything from around 11th St NE and west toward Union Station (say 2nd ST NE) is pretty yuppie these days.

I mean you've got a Whole Foods, yoga studios, an independent bookstore, and several sushi restaurants. Not to mention a ton of brand new condo and high-end apartment buildings.

I agree there is a lot of work to do from 11-the end of Maryland.

I disagree with neighboring communities. H Street has that beat with Stanton Park and the rest of Capitol Hill next door.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:52 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,520,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
H street still has some ghetto elements, but it seems to be changing very fast since the streetcar started taking passengers. Most of the homeless hang out around the 7-Eleven on 7th and H for some reason. The rest of the strip is pretty decent until you pass Maryland Avenue.

If you're planning to buy or rend a place in DC long-term you have to see the big picture. DC is not going back to what it was ever again. The ghetto elements are slowly being phased out and this will continue city-wide for the foreseeable future. Even Anacostia is in the early stages of turning around.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:11 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
H St. has a Metro station: Union Station. The streetcar takes you the rest of the way down it.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:34 PM

181 posts, read 190,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
H St. has a Metro station: Union Station. The streetcar takes you the rest of the way down it.
Uh, U street has a metro as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: