Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times

Advertisements

Finding a $1000 apartment in Arlington won't be the easiest task especially near the metro. You might want try something along Columbia Pike instead. There's no metro but there are numerous buses running down that street connecting to the metro. However you're looking at a 30-45 minute commute into the city not 20. If you want a 20 minute you'll need to live in DC. Outer DC neighborhoods like Takoma or Brightwood might be cheaper than trying to be hip. The Woodner is a HUGE but cheap apartment building in Columbia Heights. I personally don't like it but you can't beat $900 for a studio in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,297 times
There are 1000/mo studios in DC in nice areas like Friendship Heights and near McPherson Square. Search along Mass. and Conn. Avenues. NW. You have to really look for those vacancies when they open up.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,546 times
Despite all the optimistic previous replies, I can tell you from experience that you will find it very difficult to live comfortably in DC on $40,000 a year. It is one of the most expensive places in the US...a very exciting place, no doubt...but everything is very expensive, especially housing. If you plan to live in the DC area, get ready to make a lot of compromises, as in having roommates or, alternatively, living in conditions that you didn't quite expect. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches31410 View Post
Despite all the optimistic previous replies, I can tell you from experience that you will find it very difficult to live comfortably in DC on $40,000 a year. It is one of the most expensive places in the US...a very exciting place, no doubt...but everything is very expensive, especially housing. If you plan to live in the DC area, get ready to make a lot of compromises, as in having roommates or, alternatively, living in conditions that you didn't quite expect. Good luck.
True. I honestly think that at $40K its better to just have roommates.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM

14 posts, read 34,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaches31410 View Post
Thanks for being honest. That salary was just an estimate for an entry level position. You said "speaking from experience"... care to share?? I will keep my options open!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM

434 posts, read 1,118,267 times
I know it may sound or seem like living in a group house might be too close quarters, but it really is a nice option. Lots of people do it, and especially if you are moving here it's nice to have someone to chat with at the end of the day.

I met my husband at a party at a group house.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM

78 posts, read 164,542 times
Hi Scrapper, can you please give more information on group houses? How do I find them? Which one did you live in? Are they safe? Thanks

Old 07-25-2011, 12:19 PM

I've done the group house thing. Its basically renting a house with several roommates. I don't know how a group house could be unsafe unless one was in a bad neighborhood. Basically you're renting the room and sharing the living room and kitchen with the other roommates. Generally the more roommates one has the better the house one can afford. Its also really good if you want a yard but can't afford a house. I've lived in 4 places up here and only one was in an apartment. I've always managed to live in a house with a yard because I was doing the group house thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC