Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:57 PM

19 posts, read 33,525 times

Advertisements

"Capitol Hill" between approx. 1st S/NE and 13th S/NE and between I SE and F NE would mostly meet your preferences. Especially between 2nd and 9th St. and D St. NE and G St SE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Plain and simple, it's totally ghetto at this point in time. All of you, stop using such euphemistic and roundabout expressions tyring to be politically correct, or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
"Ghetto" is relative. *This* is "totally ghetto" is in your worldview?

24th Street NE, Washington, DC - Google Maps

Where do you live? What's your line of demarcation between ghetto and non-ghetto crime rates?
Normally I'm not one for speaking ill about someone else's neighborhood. I'm going to have side with Slowlane3 on this one.

I also agree with RozCat. Ghetto is relative. That part of DC is certainly not the worst area and will probably be a great place to raise a family in a few years. However, that day just has not arrived. I couldn't advise a newcomer to move here and feel good about myself, particularly if they can afford better. That's the thing when someone is new they stick out and that is not the neighborhood you want to stick out in. To answer your question about whether ot not it looks ghetto. It looks fine but streetview can be deceiving.

So no Armywife, that place is cheap for a reason. There are plenty of family friendly places in the city appropriate for newcomers with lower crime rates. That is not one of them. Whatever you do DON'T MOVE THERE!!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 AM

720 posts, read 1,554,771 times
I agree. For someone who's familiar with the area it would be alright, but not for a newcomer

Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
Most of the bad neighborhoods in DC don't look like bombed-out hellholes (compare that with the ones in Baltimore, Detroit, Camden etc).

Old 10-04-2011, 06:25 PM

11 posts, read 17,063 times
What about the neighborhood on M Street right south of the Arboretum? What would be your view on investment properties? there are 4plexes for under 400k. Any suggestions?

Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCadvocate View Post
NE and the Benning Road area is in transition. If you are not familiar with the neighborhood, I do not advise moving there as you could end up in some very dangerous pokets of the city.

thats sort of the edge of kingman park, north of RFK. Is that area even in transition yet? I've never been there.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,055 times
Impressions of an area can be very subjective. It's NOT a simple matter of political correctness. What one person might regard as pure ghetto, another would describe as mixed (or "in transition," as Capitol Hill was described for many years and may still be) and another would describe as great. Varies by one's likes/dislikes, where they've lived before, etc. Different strokes for different folks.

I worked in Southwest DC, maybe a mile or so from McNair, for years, but never lived there. When I worked there the area was good in some parts and bad in others, and did not have the best reputation. I looked at places to buy but the areas I liked (by the harbor) were co-operatives (risky, IMHO). The area in the general proximity of McNair has changed since we left (e.g., building of the baseball stadium).

You need to visit the area and look at a number of places within your general budget (and tolerable commuting time). When I worked in the area, I rented in Arlington, VA and the Cleveland Park district of DC. When it came to buy, I first had a small condo townhouse in Silver Spring, MD, inside the Beltway. Later, when I was married, we looked at Arlington and Alexandria but we could have afforded only a townhouse, so ended up buying a single family dwelling further out in Silver Spring, outside the Beltway (but within a mile of the Beltway). Many people love Capitol Hill-- many members of Congress and others with money live there-- but you need to be sure of the exact neighborhood.

BTW, when you look at real estate listings, beware of phases like "close to Metro," since you need to be sure it means Metro rail station and not just a Metro bus stop. And if you are commuting late or on weekends, and need to use a commuter bus service like Fairfax Connector, be sure it runs late. Unless you live really close by, I think you'd have to use two different Metro rail lines to get to McNair (closest to the Green Line, I believe). Traffic can be bad all over, but don't know about the area around McNair specifically. I'd test out both Metro and driving. Doesn't the military have a relocation service?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:53 PM

23 posts, read 44,318 times
That's Rosedale not "Capitol Hill South", in fact there is no such thing as Capitol Hill South. That's just some real estate agent trying to BS you and associate the property with the nicer neighborhood of Capitol Hill. Rosedale is next to Cap Hill though, the dividing line is about 15th St NE. You are pretty far from that down on 24th st though. However, to the north of you on the other side of Benning Rd is a rather large housing project and all the problems that go with it. Rosedale isn't the worst neighborhood but it's far from being Alexandria or Arlington. If you choose to live in Rosedale you'll save on the rent but probably have you car broken into at least once or twice while you live there. It's up to you whether that's something you can live with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC