U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:16 PM

585 posts, read 1,541,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, slow down, DC Advocate. While I have defended SE against people who stereotype it in the past, you're going too far by saying that SW and SE are the safest quadrants.
The problem is you're looking at the TOTAL numbers of crimes. You're failing to take into account population. NW has more crimes because far more people live in NW.
If you look at the numbers on a per capita basis, you'll find that a person living in SE is at greater risk of being a victim of a crime than a person living in NW.
It would be like if you looked at the number of crimes committed in New York City and compared them to the number of crimes committed in Detroit. NYC has more crimes. But it's also a city of 8 million compared to a city of under 1 million. Detroit has more crime per capita and is clearly the unsafer city overall.

Now does that mean that no one should ever live or travel to SE DC? Of course not. There are many safe parts of SE that are great to live in and are safer than some parts of NW. I live in one such neighborhood.
But let's not be inaccurate here.
Plus I think it's fair to say that crime is under-reported in certain areas where it's just not OK to have the police coming out to your house. "Oh, so and so robbed your car because you owed him money for weed?" It's an urban area, we'd be stupid if we took the "official" police statistics at face value. DC wants you to call 911 to file a police report, even if it isn't an emergency. From an efficiency standpoint, if this city could figure out how to operate, maybe it could be more effective in combating this stereotype that the whole of DC is some horrible violent slum.

No one is arguing about SE as a whole, I think this forum has figured out that it isn't one huge splotch of land.

And your "safest" is different from my "safest."

When you talk about "safety per capita" are you counting transients in those quadrants like office workers, bureaucrats, tourists, the homeless etc? That skews the numbers and I can't imagine that the crime data (which we already know is not 100%) sorts out those victims of crime who do not actually live here or live in different areas. How many tourists who don't know better get robbed near the Mall? How many of those same tourists get robbed in east of the river SE? You aren't comparing apples to apples when you look at "raw" crime data for these areas. Am I going to suggest that SE isn't dangerous? F*** no, I live here.

I'm not here to say that SE is completely safe, I'm just saying I get more than a lot of the rest of DC for fewer dineros and have to put up with a minimal amount of s*** in return. It isn't for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:55 PM

9,397 posts, read 13,232,718 times
Ward 3 is a warzone

Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 PM

In my experience, most robberies occur in Ward 2.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 AM

361 posts, read 711,965 times
I used to live in large high rise apt. in Ward 3 about 10 years ago. Car robberies were nearly routine occurrences. Mine was broken into twice, one time nothing was taken, the 2nd time they got the radio (stupid me: I even had the kind you could pull out and take with you). If you bothered to call the police, they'd take your statement and tell you there was a snowball's chance in hell you'd get your property back, thank-you-have-a-nice day.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
I used to live in large high rise apt. in Ward 3 about 10 years ago. Car robberies were nearly routine occurrences. Mine was broken into twice, one time nothing was taken, the 2nd time they got the radio (stupid me: I even had the kind you could pull out and take with you). If you bothered to call the police, they'd take your statement and tell you there was a snowball's chance in hell you'd get your property back, thank-you-have-a-nice day.
My car got broken into two weeks after I moved here to SE (originally moved to Fort Washington when I got here from CA). Stupid me, I had all sorts of stuff lying around, like a hoodie, my Nats cap, a little makeup bag that could be confused for a purse and a small UPS box full of mail I hadn't put in the house since it was sent to me from California, blah blah blah. I was asking for it. I kept saying I'd clean my car as soon as I had some time, unfortunately they got me before I made time. They broke my (locked) glove box off and nabbed my iPod and GPS. Joke's on them, the iPod doesn't hold a charge.

Oddly enough, they also stole my year-old San Francisco Muni bus pass that I had hung on a lanyard from my rearview mirror as a weird memento to my Muni-riding days. I can't figure that one out, it doesn't look like it's worth anything, it very clearly says APRIL '10 on it and it's for a transit system 3000 miles away.

I'm sure my Maryland plates had something to do with it. Nothing says "outsider" like out of state plates, even if the state is just a few miles over the line.

To the thieves' credit, at least they didn't break a window. I don't feel any less safe, it's sort of the price you pay living in the city - ANY city.

Safe to say my car is spotless now and the GPS comes with me when I go in for the night. No biggie.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:23 PM

656 posts, read 507,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
95% of SE is just as safe as 95% of Ward 3. People irrationally fear SE.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,677,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
95% of SE is just as safe as 95% of Ward 3. People irrationally fear SE.
Um, no. In my time working for the fire department I've never heard a shooting or stabbing come up in upper NW. They happen DAILY in SE. Look at the stats. There's really not even an argument.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Um, no. In my time working for the fire department I've never heard a shooting or stabbing come up in upper NW. They happen DAILY in SE. Look at the stats. There's really not even an argument.
Again with this shooting and stabbing BS. WHO is getting stabbed? Am I getting stabbed on my way home from work because I had the nerve to stroll by with the wrong color Giant bag? NO. Then again, I am a reasonably intelligent adult who doesn't do things like walk home from the Southern Ave Metro with my iPod in one hand and my BlackBerry in the other at 1 in the morning.

If you are a drunk white guy out prowling SE at 3 in the morning looking for crack with $20s hanging out of your pocket, you might get shot. If you are asking a bunch of sketchy dudes in wifebeaters on the corner what they are doing out there like you're the neighborhood watch, you might get stabbed.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that crime is non-existent in SE (MY side of SE, not the Hill), but a little common sense goes a long way. That applies to ANY place in the DC metro, not just this horrible third world Calcutta I live in.

For the last time... I have stunning hardwood floors, central air/heat, plenty of room, washer/dryer in unit AND a parking space (oh, and no annoying roommates - I'm a grown-up, not an intern). How many of you can say you have that in DC and can still afford to eat? For ME personally, it's worth it. Big deal, I can't wander my neighborhood at 2 in the morning. I work too much and am too old to be prowling the streets at that hour anyway. Other than the usual precautions one should take when living in any big city, I don't feel like I have to live my day-to-day life any differently.

Get a renters insurance policy if you're afraid of getting your house broken into and get over yourselves. In fact, please stay out of my side of SE as long as possible. As soon as the "OMG I'm gonna get stabbed!" crew moves in, my parking spot gets razed to install a Whole Foods. No thank you.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:21 PM

227 posts, read 334,220 times
I have to do this:

Whole Foods Parking Lot - Music Video [HD] - YouTube

Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSDC View Post
Not in my backyard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC