U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 PM

15,386 posts, read 8,075,470 times
I don't get the "they forced people out of their neighborhood" argument. If you own a home, you don't have to sell it to anyone. You can just hold out and watch all those good, lily white folks fill up your neighborhood as property values continue to climb. Are yuppies snatching old black ladies out of houses these days? How are people being "forced out?"

Old 07-22-2011, 01:31 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,764,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't get the "they forced people out of their neighborhood" argument. If you own a home, you don't have to sell it to anyone. You can just hold out and watch all those good, lily white folks fill up your neighborhood as property values continue to climb. Are yuppies snatching old black ladies out of houses these days? How are people being "forced out?"
i assume increases in property taxes.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
i assume increases in property taxes.
That's bogus. Anyone who owns property in DC knows that (1) the taxes are low compared to Virginia and Maryland (especially PG County) and (2) DC places a cap on property tax increases. You will not pay $3,000 in property taxes one year and then $6,000 the next. Even if they raised your property taxes by $3,000, that's a whopping $250 a month you have to pay. Your kid's part-time job at Arby's would be able to cover that and the utilities.

When people lose their homes, I suspect it's for stupid reasons, and not because of property tax increases. My neighbors a few houses down lost their house (which had been in the family for over 40 years) by sapping all of the equity out of it and buying cars. There were about 9 people living in that house and each one of them had a car. I mean, if you've had a house for 30 years, that means you shouldn't have a mortgage, right? And if you lost your house because you thought it would be a good idea to throw some Ds on your truck, I have no sympathy for you. Sorry.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,764,133 times
Quote:
That's bogus. Anyone who owns property in DC knows that (1) the taxes are low compared to Virginia and Maryland (especially PG County) and (2) DC places a cap on property tax increases. You will not pay $3,000 in property taxes one year and then $6,000 the next. Even if they raised your property taxes by $3,000, that's a whopping $250 a month you have to pay. Your kid's part-time job at Arby's would be able to cover that and the utilities.

When people lose their homes, I suspect it's for stupid reasons, and not because of property tax increases. My neighbors a few houses down lost their house (which had been in the family for over 40 years) by sapping all of the equity out of it and buying cars. There were about 9 people living in that house and each one of them had a car. I mean, if you've had a house for 30 years, that means you shouldn't have a mortgage, right? And if you lost your house because you thought it would be a good idea to throw some Ds on your truck, I have no sympathy for you. Sorry.
Well I was just throwing out a possibility.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM

DC losing its majority black status can only be a good thing.

If the city weren't majority black, Eastern HS would be a magnet school. But the black residents of Wards 6, 7 and 8 all said: "Magnet? That just means white. We don't want no stinkin' magnets in our city!" And thus, Eastern is still a neighborhood school, and will continue to suck. Any middle class families that may have considered staying in the city because of the prospect of new magnets is no longer considering it.

When Fenty comes back in 2014, he'll set the city back on the right course. We'll get some magnets and young families won't automatically flee to Virginia once their kids reach school age.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:01 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,264,027 times
Quote:
DC losing its majority black status can only be a good thing.

If the city weren't majority black, Eastern HS would be a magnet school. But the black residents of Wards 6, 7 and 8 all said: "Magnet? That just means white. We don't want no stinkin' magnets in our city!" And thus, Eastern is still a neighborhood school, and will continue to suck. Any middle class families that may have considered staying in the city because of the prospect of new magnets is no longer considering it.

When Fenty comes back in 2014, he'll set the city back on the right course. We'll get some magnets and young families won't automatically flee to Virginia once their kids reach school age.

Once the demographics start to shift to the other end, we will finally see results. Both in the polls and streets. Sorry to say (not really) but the local black population has been voting in officials that have done NOTHING to change the fabric of DC into anything positive. Year after year of what??? Wards 8 & 9 are still dirt poor. And guess who their fearless leader is?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Once the demographics start to shift to the other end, we will finally see results. Both in the polls and streets. Sorry to say (not really) but the locak black population has been voting in officials that have done NOTHING to change the fabric of DC into anything positive. Year after year of what???
One of my friends lives in Southeast and he voted for Vincent Gray. When I asked him why, he said: "Because Fenty doesn't care about Ward 8. He's done nothing for Southeast."

Well, it turns out that they've opened more rec centers and invested more money in SE per capita than any other quadrant. I think he's angry because he wants MLK Drive to look like Connecticut Avenue, and it doesn't. But the mayor can't do anything about people throwing Tastykake cartons out on the street. He can't stop people from stabbing each other. There's only so much a mayor can do. My friend is very well-educated, so if he's thinking that way, I can't imagine what the typical SE resident is thinking.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,264,027 times
The last thing Dc needs is another Rec. Center. It hasn't done much to keep these "urban youth" occupied.....

Old 07-22-2011, 02:16 PM

But the "people" wanted rec centers. Fenty gave them rec centers. They still weren't happy.

"What are you doing, Mr. Mayor, to see that my son makes good grades?"

"What are you doing, Mr. Mayor, to make sure my son stays out of jail?"

"What are you doing, Mr. Mayor, to ensure that a Five Star hotel gets built in my neighborhood?"

"What are you doing, Mr. Mayor, to ensure that I get a good paying job?"

Gimme, gimme, gimme! You'll never get anywhere with that mentality. Why would I build a luxury hotel in your neighborhood so thugs could rob it, intimidate my patrons, and just eff it all up? Why would I invest money to put new trees in your tree boxes when you won't even pull the weeds out and they end up dying anyway? Some people won't be happy until they move all of Ward 8's residents up to Foxhall. And then when Foxhall Street is littered with Tastykake boxes, they'll complain some more.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,302,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Once the demographics start to shift to the other end, we will finally see results. Both in the polls and streets. Sorry to say (not really) but the local black population has been voting in officials that have done NOTHING to change the fabric of DC into anything positive. Year after year of what??? Wards 8 & 9 are still dirt poor. And guess who their fearless leader is?
Where is Ward 9?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC