U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:43 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,495,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
Smh @ The Fairfaxian.

Personally, I think DC is a great place for black people. I have a white collar job and I still get along with locals.
Well it probably helps if a person wasn't born here and didn't have to deal with the hood and crab mentalities that are most prevalent during the teen years. I may have been lucky enough to be raised in Fairfax when I was a kid, but the drama from certain people in DC and especially in PG were more than enough to put a lasting strain in my outlook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 AM

353 posts, read 1,152,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've always found the purse clutching observations interesting. I'm not black, but as a white person who has lived in nyc and other cities with high black populations, I've always thought if a white person was living in a dc (or nyc) and thought that way about blacks, they'd be paralyzed with absolute fear and unable to go anywhere, as in almost every city, there are black people absolutely everywhere.

On the other hand, you're talking about white females, and as a white male, I've seen plenty of them just clutch their purses in general regardless of where they're at - malls, among a sea of white people, everywhere. It might not be a black/white thing, but just something that white females do in general.
I've had white women clutch their purses when I (black woman) walk by, not caring that I have my own purse to deal with, thank you very much.

I've never understood people who are so prejudiced and fearful against those they don't know.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:02 AM

9,397 posts, read 13,647,782 times
might be what the liberals call 'unconscious racism'

Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,558,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do people have as much of a problem with gentrification in DC when the gentrifiers are black rather than white?
I have a huge problem with it.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:13 PM

1,805 posts, read 3,419,038 times
Default boredatwork

Gentrification should be a slow assimilating process...any sudden change is going to cause more trouble than good ....even if its for the better. If im used to a certain culture and som out of towner came and instead of assimilate to the established culture, tried to change it altogether or get rid of it completey, I'd be resentful too.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Well it probably helps if a person wasn't born here and didn't have to deal with the hood and crab mentalities that are most prevalent during the teen years. I may have been lucky enough to be raised in Fairfax when I was a kid, but the drama from certain people in DC and especially in PG were more than enough to put a lasting strain in my outlook.
You sound like a cowboy from the west who just landed in DC...you know the culture, you either need to conform to it or be you and let others accept you for you...one is easier than the other for sure

Old 08-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,291,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Gentrification should be a slow assimilating process...any sudden change is going to cause more trouble than good ....even if its for the better. If im used to a certain culture and som out of towner came and instead of assimilate to the established culture, tried to change it altogether or get rid of it completey, I'd be resentful too.

How does one person attempt to change a culture?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:23 AM

Default boredatwork

Quote:
How does one person attempt to change a culture?
One person isn't gentrification

Old 08-11-2011, 08:29 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,291,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
One person isn't gentrification

If a bunch of people move into an area and don't attempt to assimilate and choose to stay to their own little world, what is the problem?

Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,060,227 times
Quote:
If a bunch of people move into an area and don't attempt to assimilate and choose to stay to their own little world, what is the problem?
I agree. Now I wonder how assimilate is being defined. A person has a right to move into any neighborhood they want and do their own thing. If someone moves into a ghetto type neighborhood does that mean they have to be hoodrat in order to not offend their neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or