U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,209,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I agree. Now I wonder how assimilate is being defined. A person has a right to move into any neighborhood they want and do their own thing. If someone moves into a ghetto type neighborhood does that mean they have to be hoodrat in order to not offend their neighbors?

I love Southwest to death. Get along with everyone. They had Southwest day this past weekend and the field across the street from my house was packed with locals. It looked like they were having a great time but I really felt no desire to go out there. It was like a big family reunion. Most of my friends are transplants. I will be at the Mississippi BBQ this weekend though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,273,083 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
If a bunch of people move into an area and don't attempt to assimilate and choose to stay to their own little world, what is the problem?

nothing...they're just minding they're business living their life but not all ppl do that

Old 08-12-2011, 04:03 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,273,083 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I agree. Now I wonder how assimilate is being defined. A person has a right to move into any neighborhood they want and do their own thing. If someone moves into a ghetto type neighborhood does that mean they have to be hoodrat in order to not offend their neighbors?

No...but you cant come with an arrogant attitude either

Old 08-12-2011, 06:02 PM

4,037 posts, read 7,852,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
No...but you cant come with an arrogant attitude either
What do you mean? Who had an arrogant attitude? Who wasn't minding their business? Can you give an example?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
You sound like a cowboy from the west who just landed in DC...you know the culture, you either need to conform to it or be you and let others accept you for you...one is easier than the other for sure
Trust me, as a DC native, I know it's a lot easier to do the former and pull your pants down, pick up speaking ebonics, and act like I have a double-digit IQ just to impress the hoodrats and be on the good side of the community, but I saw a better standard of living, saw the struggle most of my family went through as a result of "conforming to the culture," and didn't want to repeat their mistakes by becoming another victim of conformity. I get your message on conformity, but it shouldn't have to cost me my dignity and opportunity to live a better life.

Funny that you said that I resemble a cowboy from the West even though I was raised in this area. But I guess you have a point since I seem to fit better into the Western cultures, whether it's the coastal West Coast, evergreen Pacific NW, interior Mountain West, or cowboy Wild West.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 PM

15,688 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingfree View Post
I've had white women clutch their purses when I (black woman) walk by, not caring that I have my own purse to deal with, thank you very much.

I've never understood people who are so prejudiced and fearful against those they don't know.
I'm white and have been among a sea of white people, and still regularly see them watch their purses. It's just what they do.

Maybe they watch the news too much - american news media is 99% how to exhibit paranoid behavior...and Hollywood movies with all the pyschos just drives that stuff home even stronger.

There are much greater things at work than just prejudiced. It may seem that way if you are black though, as you never get a chance to see them around a sea of all white people.

It's just the society, the culture. Also, the U.S. isn't exactly a violence free society.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 08-14-2011 at 10:58 PM..

Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,768,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Trust me, as a DC native, I know it's a lot easier to do the former and pull your pants down, pick up speaking ebonics, and act like I have a double-digit IQ just to impress the hoodrats and be on the good side of the community, but I saw a better standard of living, saw the struggle most of my family went through as a result of "conforming to the culture," and didn't want to repeat their mistakes by becoming another victim of conformity. I get your message on conformity, but it shouldn't have to cost me my dignity and opportunity to live a better life.

Funny that you said that I resemble a cowboy from the West even though I was raised in this area. But I guess you have a point since I seem to fit better into the Western cultures, whether it's the coastal West Coast, evergreen Pacific NW, interior Mountain West, or cowboy Wild West.
I agree with your view points. Unfortunately it appears it will go into the next generation. I recently spoke to an administrator at a PG middle school. He says he has students who will do their homework but will not turn it in. He'll go in their lockers and there is the work.

Or he said students will admit to throwing exams. All of this is done to fit in. It really is sad that academic excellence is looked down upon in the Black community.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:07 PM

126 posts, read 268,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
LOL what ?????

Im a black gentrifier(OR WAS) and I have just about the same if MORE problems than a white gentrifier. In H Street...it was a pretty fun lil neighborhood.....However, the power struggles here are affecting everyone. I walk home at night and white people clutch their purses around me because they think I'm going to steal something. Native Black DC'ers will call me a "sellout" or "uncle tom" at every single moment if we strike a convo and they find I'm not from here, don't have family here,or if I dare wear my Howard U. T-shirt the venom will come FLYINGGGGG.......If I wear anything besides a t-shirt/jeans, or club attire, I'm looked at as a Bougie Black in this neigborhood......God Forbid if I wear a Business suit lol or KHAKIS

At least a white gentrifier can rant/rave to his other buddies? Who Do i have for general support in this area? Poor D.C. Black People don't want to have anything to do with me, white people think I'm automatically on the side of DC Natives when I'm not half of the time.........Gentrification is truly a class issue I've found out........and black gentrifiers are the ones truly caught in the middle in this area.........

Heck, I'd love to have an actual LIBRARY or even a Bookstore in this area! Maybe some more parking for the church on 13th and H or more parking for EVERYONE, Maybe reopen that Gym that's been closed for AGES on H street, maybe MORE affordable and mixed apartment housing so people don't HAVE to move out to PG County............anything besides yet ANOTHER bar...I live here so It'd be great for this area to finally be "liveable" for everyone not just a select few...yet I'm on everyone's s**t list here......
What do black DC natives find wrong with Howard U?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,986,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike10 View Post
What do black DC natives find wrong with Howard U?
The same town-gown issues you'll find in any college town/neighborhood: working-class locals resent pretentious, careless college students (who often have valid reasons on looking down on the locals).

From a sociological perspective, the two classes don't understand one another's status games and think that the other is being silly for not playing by the same rules. Blue state/red state, hipster/yuppie, gentrifier/local -- all of these "battles" can be viewed through the same lens.

For sociology books about black gentrification, I'd recommend these two books:
- Derek S. Hyra, "The New Urban Renewal" (Chicago, 2008)
- Mary E. Pattillo, "Black on the Block" (Chicago, 2007)

Hyra lives locally (and teaches at Virginia Tech), and may have written some articles on DC, as well.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 AM

708 posts, read 1,027,714 times
Can black people gentrify? -- YES. Black folks can move in and force poorer folks out of the neighborhood easily.

White people can say they arent racist (my buds do) but guess what happens when a black person is living next door, and two more families move in (regardless of the fact that one is a doctor, the other is a lawyer, and the third makes 3x us combined).

They roll the $##@$ out of dodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or