Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM

692 posts, read 1,728,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
Reading these comments on this thread has taught me that I have truly assimilated a great part of who I am into the dominant culture of the US and my honest thoughts would offend so deeply that I cant express them. I've already said too much.
You don't have to say anything. All of your "not really a comment," comments speak for themselves.

There are wonderful people in this city that people brush off because of where they live or how they speak. A lot of blacks take pride in that. The "I'm not like them" crowd. I just find it sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 PM

207 posts, read 536,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
You don't have to say anything. All of your "not really a comment," comments speak for themselves.

There are wonderful people in this city that people brush off because of where they live or how they speak. A lot of blacks take pride in that. The "I'm not like them" crowd. I just find it sad.
I AM FROM THE DARN GHETTO IN DETROIT MICHIGAN. I DONT LOOK DOWN ON ANYONE'S LOCATION. Do you see my username, TEACHER. No real teacher can ever stand to hear someone speak "a certain way" sorry its just how we are. We accept it, but we dont like it. Comes with the profession.

I never said I was not like anyone, I dont want to comment for the reason you came at me. If I dont agree, I get called SAD. And its "SAD" that you said that. Cause frankly I've been treated far worse by "my own" than I ever have by the "others"

So thanks for your critique but you really dont know why I wont give my TRUE FEELINGS.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 PM

136 posts, read 255,060 times
I think D.C. lost its culture when all the black people got kicked out. D.C. was one of the first black cities. Its nickname is CHOCOLATE CITY. Blacks in D.C. have their own unique culture defined by the northface jackets, stonewashed jeans, slouch socks, foamposite nikes, nike boots. Its the way they say URREA instead of area. Its the GO GO music . Also D.C. is a Salvadorean stronghold. D.C. is very unique. But pushing all that uniqueness out into the suburbs and replacing it with plain jane yuppies who just want to live near the city to be cool is wack. Yeah crime has dropped, yeah urban blight is being replaced with renewal but some things are just a part of living in a big city. Someones gonna realize that having a starbucks or target on every corner is not a city. Its the suburbs in a smaller format.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:51 AM

24,365 posts, read 22,956,137 times
I'd have to agree that DC has little inherant culture. I used to watch "Insomniac" with Dave Attell and Baltimore was the absolute lamest most boring city he ever visited. DC is a little better, but not much. The Bay culture has a vibe and a history, but thats not DC or Baltimore as much.
DC is a fascinating place with the political figures, history and government agencies but with regional culture it doesn't have anything going for it. I think part of it is the entitlement culture it has. The residents have so much spent on them and have civil service jobs so they don't actually go out and do anything. No manufacturing, no industry. There's no regional pride due to the transient population. The most interesting figures come and go and take their staffs with them. That did become less true, many political figures became almost permanent figures. Maybe they they shared a dual residency status living their so long. But many commute into DC from suburbs that also weakens it.
Manhattan is similar. People come to NYC and work there, then leave. Or they commute into the city. Or the businesses and movers and shakers of the town come and go. And if you have a percentage of the people who do absolutely nothing to help keep a city great, contribute nothing, that makes it shallow culturally and pscychologically. NYC has incredible buildings and a history of construction and cultural influence. Now you have fewer people who help it maintain that image. Living in a great city doesn't make you great. I can't be too hard on NYC since it hasn't slipped too much, no more than any other major city or region.
Lastly, DC has gotten an ugly image with violence and lack of civility outside the main public areas. Its not alone there, but they need to lose the thug image they've gotten. And they need to get some decent sports teams.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:30 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,463,447 times
you based DC and Baltimore culture on a show featuring David Attell? I see the problem here.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:10 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,542,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantanative83 View Post
I think D.C. lost its culture when all the black people got kicked out.
A) Who kicked the black people out? I'm not aware of anyone getting kicked out of the city, but if you're privy to information that I am not, please share.

B) The District remains 50% black, down from a peak of 70% 40 years ago. Certainly some black residents have left, but "all"? Hardly.

C) You are aware that the District only became majority black in the 1960s, are you not?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:13 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,125,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd have to agree that DC has little inherant culture. I used to watch "Insomniac" with Dave Attell and Baltimore was the absolute lamest most boring city he ever visited. DC is a little better, but not much. The Bay culture has a vibe and a history, but thats not DC or Baltimore as much.
DC is a fascinating place with the political figures, history and government agencies but with regional culture it doesn't have anything going for it. I think part of it is the entitlement culture it has. The residents have so much spent on them and have civil service jobs so they don't actually go out and do anything. No manufacturing, no industry. There's no regional pride due to the transient population. The most interesting figures come and go and take their staffs with them. That did become less true, many political figures became almost permanent figures. Maybe they they shared a dual residency status living their so long. But many commute into DC from suburbs that also weakens it.
Manhattan is similar. People come to NYC and work there, then leave. Or they commute into the city. Or the businesses and movers and shakers of the town come and go. And if you have a percentage of the people who do absolutely nothing to help keep a city great, contribute nothing, that makes it shallow culturally and pscychologically. NYC has incredible buildings and a history of construction and cultural influence. Now you have fewer people who help it maintain that image. Living in a great city doesn't make you great. I can't be too hard on NYC since it hasn't slipped too much, no more than any other major city or region.
Lastly, DC has gotten an ugly image with violence and lack of civility outside the main public areas. Its not alone there, but they need to lose the thug image they've gotten. And they need to get some decent sports teams.
Your statement is all over the place and doesn't amke any sense what so ever. The Bay culture has vibe and history? WTF are you talking about?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,125,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
A) Who kicked the black people out? I'm not aware of anyone getting kicked out of the city, but if you're privy to information that I am not, please share.

B) The District remains 50% black, down from a peak of 70% 40 years ago. Certainly some black residents have left, but "all"? Hardly.

C) You are aware that the District only became majority black in the 1960s, are you not?

This^^^^^! DC's black culture is alive and well.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,673,350 times
Quote:
and why do you say Thank God? please humor me........
For all the racist undertones of your post, let's not poke that bear again. He trolls until someone bites.

To your larger point, wearing the footwear of a global corporation like Nike or a jacket of Northface during a brief trend is neither a reflection of a unique culture nor indicative of character. Sorry to say, but those allegedly horribly bland white yuppies everybody loves to hate also wore Nike and Northface... everywhere.

What you describe is simply being a product of marketing that hooked people into global consumerism. That's fine, but if relying on superficial labels designed in Seattle and produced in Asian factories defines this city's character as much or more than anything substantive or creative, then that's the strongest argument I've seen yet in favor of the charge that DC has no character.

Last edited by Bluefly; 08-25-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,047,039 times
Quote:
I think D.C. lost its culture when all the black people got kicked out. D.C. was one of the first black cities. Its nickname is CHOCOLATE CITY.
I thought that was the nickname for New Orleans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC