Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 PM

13,685 posts, read 15,586,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Oh I know what you are talking about. 14th and You may be able to vouch for this. But on the block of 14th and P I believe, there is a section of section 8 housing in the middle of some very valuable land, but it also a hot bed for crime. A few gay men have been attacked there these past few years by people living in those housing. A cop friend of mine said that whenever he gets a call for something in that area, 9 times outta 10 the culprit is from or has been in that street.
Yeah, they need to redevelop that building. But I think as this type of development spreads throughout the city and the suburbs including Tyson's Corner by the way, (they have been writing articles about including it in the new Tyson's Corner development coming) it will really help everyone and change the perception for a lot of good people when they get into different environments. It's already working. The true results won't be felt till every low income ghetto is gone and all the people are integrated into mixed use buildings and communities going to school side by side with "A" students of different races who have goals in life. That day is fast approaching as DC continues to boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,651,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No, this has nothing to do with education or socioeconomic status. Take a trip to PG County if you want to see people with movie theaters in their basements that act this way. It has more to do with how some people feel about associating with certain people. An example would be "The Banks" in Fresh Prince of Bel Air not wanting their kids to listen to rap instead listening to classical music. They could easily live in a mansion in a black neighborhood but they choose not to. See SW Atlanta for an example of black people with money that still identify with the black culture that is not socially acceptable in the white wealthy community. My point is, the company you keep typically has more to do with how people act and the styles they choose. If a black person goes to Wootton High School in Potomac for instance, they probably don't have much in common with other black people in Oxon Hill even though both area's have multimillion dollar mansions. Where would someone from Wootton hear people speaking with a DC accent growing up? All accents are picked up by your surroundings and experiences and that goes for anybody.

"You get your morals and values from your parents, but you act like your friends."

On a side note, the black community in NYC has italian culture? The Black community in Boston has Irish culture? I don't really follow what your saying here so be a little more specific please. I think what is really going on is there is no Italian, Irish, Jewish, or French etc. culture in DC so people outside the black community have nothing to relate to which makes it appear there is no character/culture in DC.
Geez, man. I said middle class, not Fresh Prince. Normal people with normal parents who made average incomes growing up in predominantly black neighborhoods and public schools. Please stop trying to caricature these individuals I know just so you can claim them as outliers to "real black people" from DC. Rather insulting to them.

Where did you get the black Italian idea? I was just illustrating that the (black) Creole culture in New Orleans, the (white) Italian culture in NYC, and the (white) Irish culture in Boston are not defined by one socioeconomic class. I don't follow your last sentence, but I'm not struggling to find a way to relate to DC's black culture. I was simply using some well-known urban cultures to illustrate a point.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,530,685 times
Quote:
Oh I know what you are talking about. 14th and You may be able to vouch for this. But on the block of 14th and P I believe, there is a section of section 8 housing in the middle of some very valuable land, but it also a hot bed for crime. A few gay men have been attacked there these past few years by people living in those housing. A cop friend of mine said that whenever he gets a call for something in that area, 9 times outta 10 the culprit is from or has been in that street.
You're thinking of 14th and R. (14th and P is nothing but pricey condos now.)

The south side of 14th and R contains a series of troubled buildings that were at one time Section 8 housing. However, about 10 years ago the buildings were sold to the unit owners and are now private housing. And yes, there is a rather substantial amount of criminal activity that emanates from that block, unfortunately.

TBD did a story about those buildings in a piece last year: In gentrifying Logan Circle, affordable housing meets hate crimes | TBD.com

Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 AM

688 posts, read 1,242,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes and No. I understand why the development community doesn't want people to know what is really going on but it's crazy how ill-informed people really are. Moderate Priced Dwelling Units are everywhere in DC. For instance, you pay $2,500-$3,000 for your apartment while your low income neighbor in the apartment next to yours pays $800 for the same building with the roof top pool. I don't think many people realize this around DC and maybe that is for the better. Talk about panic. It seems to be working if people still don't have a clue. The management is not going to tell you about it unless you ask so it is kept pretty quiet anyway. DC is improving and it's wonderful.
Holy gogo, D.C. !*^#!

Old 09-06-2011, 01:07 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,106,988 times
Quote:
This is the DC natives I know and love...So much love and UNITY!!!!

Fights Breakout at the 2011 DMV Awards - YouTube

2011 D.C. Caribbean Festival Brawl.mp4 - YouTube

funny fight in dc carnival - YouTube

Ghetto Fight of D.C. - YouTube

And just for fairness, here is some lily white people fighting. It's all I could find. Seriously...

Dupont Circle Snowball Fight, Washington DC - Blizzard 2010 - YouTube
You spend most of your time race baiting and belittling black people. If you want to see how poverty correlates to crime, you really need to visit some of the rural parts of Kentucky, West Virginia, Nebraska, Iowa, Utah, etc. The white populations in most of those areas commit 85% of the crimes and hold down 90% the welfare rolls.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:09 PM

19 posts, read 67,461 times
I lived in the D.C. area for the entire first part of my life (till 22 years old). To me, what makes D.C. different from other East Coast (and mid-west) cities, is that there is basically no white working class.

Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Boston - they all have large populations of blue-collar, working class white residents. The only places you might find this around D.C. are in the outer VA burbs, Laurel MD (maybe), and outer MD burbs like Bowie.

When people say there's "no culture" in D.C., they really mean there's "no white culture". When you have a highly transient city like D.C., where 90% of white people are upper-middle class, and the other 9.9% are simply upper class, the uniqueness is going to suffer.

It's still a new-ish city, and wasn't really a major Metropolitan area until the 80s and beyond, so in another generation there will likely be a lot more multi-generational D.C. residents than we have now.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:46 PM

349 posts, read 984,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max11USA View Post
I lived in the D.C. area for the entire first part of my life (till 22 years old). To me, what makes D.C. different from other East Coast (and mid-west) cities, is that there is basically no white working class.

Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Boston - they all have large populations of blue-collar, working class white residents. The only places you might find this around D.C. are in the outer VA burbs, Laurel MD (maybe), and outer MD burbs like Bowie.

When people say there's "no culture" in D.C., they really mean there's "no white culture". When you have a highly transient city like D.C., where 90% of white people are upper-middle class, and the other 9.9% are simply upper class, the uniqueness is going to suffer.

It's still a new-ish city, and wasn't really a major Metropolitan area until the 80s and beyond, so in another generation there will likely be a lot more multi-generational D.C. residents than we have now.
Yeah. That's a good post, basically sums it up.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,651,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max11USA View Post

Again, I don't think people mean "white culture" when they talk about DC lacking culture. If that were true, then the same people wouldn't claim New Orleans as having a very strong sense of culture, which is largely derived from black residents.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM

336 posts, read 765,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Again, I don't think people mean "white culture" when they talk about DC lacking culture. If that were true, then the same people wouldn't claim New Orleans as having a very strong sense of culture, which is largely derived from black residents.
Nope he's right, people say DC has no culture because there's no white culture in DC. New Orleans is a whole different ball game especially Mardi Gras is known through the country and possibly the world as well as "cajun" seasoning and New Orleans themed this and that. The French Quarter as a neighborhood is more known than anything in DC. DC on the other hand is slept on because a lot of the world see's DC as the Capitol, White House, Monuments, etc... They don't really know about the actual neighborhoods in DC. As for DC culture its strictly black.... GoGo music, mambo sauce, half smoke, ben's chili bowl...... thats all Black DC. A lot of people in DC have never ventured east of the Anacostia river where the old DC still thrives. You still see pieces of DC's local culture on Georgia ave, the housing projects in and around Columbia Heights and Shaw, the strip of North Capitol between T street and L street, Trinidad, Carver-Langston, Rosedale, Riggs Park, and thats pretty much it for west of the river. Yeah just about all of the places I just named are ghetto but DC's local culture started in the hood.... so it would make since for it to still be concentrated in the hood even though you have people in MD and VA suburbs who listen to gogo music and act like they from DC..... see this all the time in PG county, MoCo, Charles co, Alexandria city, parts of Fairfax co., Woodbridge and, Manassas. Its funny too whenever I hear DC slang being used outside of DC and PG county or see teenagers rocking dreads, northfaces, foams, 993's, dc fitted/snapback, etc... basically DC gear.

DC's cultural influence is regional, but has made some national impacts.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 AM

692 posts, read 1,727,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher383940 View Post
I AM FROM THE DARN GHETTO IN DETROIT MICHIGAN. I DONT LOOK DOWN ON ANYONE'S LOCATION. Do you see my username, TEACHER. No real teacher can ever stand to hear someone speak "a certain way" sorry its just how we are. We accept it, but we dont like it. Comes with the profession.

I never said I was not like anyone, I dont want to comment for the reason you came at me. If I dont agree, I get called SAD. And its "SAD" that you said that. Cause frankly I've been treated far worse by "my own" than I ever have by the "others"

So thanks for your critique but you really dont know why I wont give my TRUE FEELINGS.

Well I didn't grow up in the "darn ghetto" and I don't care if you did or not. There was no need to yell. My comment to you had nothing to do with a movie clip, the way the actress talked, or DC accents. If you don't want assumptions made, post what you really mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC