Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times

Advertisements

welcome to economics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 11:10 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You sound very uneducated. I went to school in Louisiana and all of the New Orleans kids could pick all of the DC kids a part by our accents. The reason you don't hear your accent is because you have never lived anywhere else as you have admitted. Go some place and live for a few years and then come back and talk to us.

Another aspect of this that you fail to recognize is that places like NYC and Boston are defined by Italians and Irish. From their accents, traditions, food, etc. DC is mainly defined AA culture. If you don't think DC has an accent, listen to Martin Lawrence, Michael Ealy, Brian Westbrook and Kevin Durant. They sound very similar in how they pronounce certain words.
SMH....What exactly did you think I was trying to say? My point was, I dont hear an accent, because I am from DC. I made that point because the other poster accused me of not being a native.....but I guess you didnt read any of that......

Also, NYC and Boston being defined by foriegners, foods, accents, now you are starting to understand, think about those deep connections that build an area....that build and bind a people. Think about the history of Boston and what makes it what it is today, then compare that to DC. How many people are being forced out of that city? In Boston and NYC and such they make it work, thats what gives you the historical sections of the city, with many different cultures living together.

You were down in N.O. and you really think DC has more character than there? Be honest......

Last edited by vicnice; 08-28-2011 at 11:25 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
SMH....What exactly did you think I was trying to say? My point was, I dont hear an accent, because I am from DC. I made that point because the other poster accused me of not being a native.....but I guess you didnt read any of that......

Also, NYC and Boston being defined by foriegners, foods, accents, now you are starting to understand, think about those deep connections that build an area....that build and bind a people. Think about the history of Boston and what makes it what it is today, then compare that to DC. How many people are being forced out of that city? In Boston and NYC and such they make it work, thats what gives you the historical sections of the city, with many different cultures living together.

You were down in N.O. and you really think DC has more character than there? Be honest......
I have never heard a local black person speak about DC the way you do. The pride in this city overflows to an elitest level, so unless you aren't black, it definetly would be a first. Most people from DC would be ready to fight when people attack the city. If you are from here like you say you are, you would agree. DMV local residents love it to the core.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:18 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post

You seem quite young and you are definitely not from DC, so I will break it down to you. The reason you know so much about New Orleans' and Boston's culture is because it is force fed to you by the media. It's that simple. You would not know sh&t about New Orleans if it wasn't for TV. DC is off the radar a bit because most of it's culture and traditions are in the AA community. DC has its own foods, music, traditions and accents. Just because you are not aware of it doesn't mean it's not there. Let's talk about history! Did you know U Street was called Black Broadway 20 years before there was a Harlem Renaissance. Did you know that Georgetown was mostly black? Did you know that schools like Cardozo and McKinley Tech would not allow blacks to attend. If you do not believe that DC doesn't have any culture or character, you are sadly mistaken. Go to the MLK Library and read up on the history of your city. There is an entire section dedicated to the history of AA's. DC's AA community is the equivalent of Boston's Irish and NYC's Italian.

I can't comment anymore on the DC accent thing. But take it from me, it's there and it's easily recognizable. I have been everywhere, I can easily tell if someone is from the DMV. As for people being forced out of the city. No one is being forced to leave DC. It's called gentrification and it is happening in NYC too. Tell me Harlem is the same Harlem from 20 years ago? Do some research son.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
Quote:
The reason you know so much about New Orleans' and Boston's culture is because it is force fed to you by the media. It's that simple. You would not know sh&t about New Orleans if it wasn't for TV. DC is off the radar a bit because most of it's culture and traditions are in the AA community. DC has its own foods, music, traditions and accents.
Having lived in NOLA; I disagree. People know about New Orleans and its culture because it's richness permeates everything. As soon as you step off a plane at the airport, there is a palpably different vibe (and humidity). The way of life, the food and the music all stems from the black community. If the media shuns DC's culture because it is a majority black city, then why has it 'shoved' the culture of a 70% black city down our throats (pre katrina - not sure what it is today)?

You can't take a step in NOLA without appreciating its unique culture. You can live in DC for years without appreciating its culture. NOLA has violence, poverty and all of the challenges DC has, but the richness of the culture rises to the top. In DC you have to dig through a mile of every day bitterness, violence and BS before you see... what... a go-go concert?

By all measures I have experienced, DC's black culture today is not only lacking richness, but shames its history. "Oh but there are good people too, and we have accents and block parties that bring the community together" - yeah, DC and every other city. But there can't be an AA family day at the zoo without a goddamn stabbing in this city.

I have nothing but love for the black communities in NOLA and Philly, but living in DC is like watching a cartoon of damaging racial stereotypes.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:01 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I have never heard a local black person speak about DC the way you do. The pride in this city overflows to an elitest level, so unless you aren't black, it definetly would be a first. Most people from DC would be ready to fight when people attack the city. If you are from here like you say you are, you would agree. DMV local residents love it to the core.
Well someone can be from a region and not like it. There are plenty of newcomers to the DC area who tell you that they will never live in their hometowns again. We have to be careful about painting everyone with the same brush I say.

So someone can be a DC native and hate go-go or not dress a certain way. I'm a native of Columbus, GA and I dress in my own style. My trademark stripped polo shirts and red or green Timberlands are part of my style. Its not a Georgia thing its a Terrence thing.

As far as character goes. DC has plenty of it. The problem may not lie in whether or not DC has character but rather the definition of character.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:

I can't comment anymore on the DC accent thing. But take it from me, it's there and it's easily recognizable. I have been everywhere, I can easily tell if someone is from the DMV. As for people being forced out of the city. No one is being forced to leave DC. It's called gentrification and it is happening in NYC too. Tell me Harlem is the same Harlem from 20 years ago? Do some research son.
I still say someone is entitled to their opinion but yeah agree in regards to gentrification. It happens. Cities change, people change. I think sometimes people don't want change even if its positive. It is a shame when the poor find themselves left behind. However, there's a lot that's done for the poor. Also there's things like section 8 and iniatives where builders have to set aside a percentage for lower income. Is it the same as having a whole neighborhood? No of course not but times do indeed change.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well someone can be from a region and not like it. There are plenty of newcomers to the DC area who tell you that they will never live in their hometowns again. We have to be careful about painting everyone with the same brush I say.

So someone can be a DC native and hate go-go or not dress a certain way. I'm a native of Columbus, GA and I dress in my own style. My trademark stripped polo shirts and red or green Timberlands are part of my style. Its not a Georgia thing its a Terrence thing.

As far as character goes. DC has plenty of it. The problem may not lie in whether or not DC has character but rather the definition of character.
No offense, but red or green timberlands would tell every single native of DC that you are from out of town. Those that don't like the region are normally speaking about the hating mentality in DC or the former violence the city had. I have never heard someone not like the cultural aspects though. Not liking GoGo is not what Im speaking about by the way. Music is always going to be an aquired taste.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No offense, but red or green timberlands would tell every single native of DC that you are from out of town. Those that don't like the region are normally speaking about the hating mentality in DC or the former violence the city had. I have never heard someone not like the cultural aspects though. Not liking GoGo is not what Im speaking about by the way. Music is always going to be an aquired taste.
Well that wasn't my point. I'm not from DC and never claimed to be. I'm from Georgia but it doesn't really matter. I've lived in the area for 3 years and don't plan on going anywhere.

I know plenty of area natives who don't dress the style that everyone keeps talking about. Now granted most grew up in the burbs but my point is that people come in all kinds of shapes. I don't understand why it matters what type of designer someone wears or what that has to do with culture. Designers are fads. I remember when I was in high school Tommy Hilfiger was the thing to wear. Go back to my high school and the kids will say "Tommy Who?"

I actually like gogo music. I think sometimes the songs start sounding alike so I'd be curious as to how its diverse enough to have sub-genres as previously mentioned in this thread. Well there are plenty of aspects of Georgia that I don't neccesarily like. All kinds of food comes to mind. I don't like grits, cornbread, or collard greens. So my point is that I know several black DC area natives that don't like certain cultural aspects of the DC area. They still have plenty of hometown proud.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well that wasn't my point. I'm not from DC and never claimed to be. I'm from Georgia but it doesn't really matter. I've lived in the area for 3 years and don't plan on going anywhere.

I know plenty of area natives who don't dress the style that everyone keeps talking about. Now granted most grew up in the burbs but my point is that people come in all kinds of shapes. I don't understand why it matters what type of designer someone wears or what that has to do with culture. Designers are fads. I remember when I was in high school Tommy Hilfiger was the thing to wear. Go back to my high school and the kids will say "Tommy Who?"

I actually like gogo music. I think sometimes the songs start sounding alike so I'd be curious as to how its diverse enough to have sub-genres as previously mentioned in this thread. Well there are plenty of aspects of Georgia that I don't neccesarily like. All kinds of food comes to mind. I don't like grits, cornbread, or collard greens. So my point is that I know several black DC area natives that don't like certain cultural aspects of the DC area. They still have plenty of hometown proud.

Not liking the taste of something or a type of music has nothing to do with not liking the culture of the city. People from DC just have a certain way of carrying themselves that stands out from other cities. Only natives would know that though. Kind of like it takes one to know one. Actors, singers, comedians, and athletes from DC all stand out which is why we know when someone is from here without them telling us.

As for GoGo, you would have to know about GoGo beyond the occasional radio play to experience genres. I don't know if you have ever been to a real GoGo before but that would be a start. The radio type of GoGo doesn't sound anything like live GoGo. But then again, when does recorded music ever sounds like live music? So here is a tour of DC genres:

Diversity of GoGo Tour for you:

Gospel Style GoGo Band

Wanted Band - The Best In Me - YouTube

R&B style GoGo Band

Faycez U Know @ The 2011 W.A.M.A. Awards - YouTube

House/Club Style GoGo

PREVIEW OF XIB SINGLE "WHIP MY HAIR" NOT DONE YET[PRODUCED BY CHOPBEATZ] - YouTube

Bounce Beat Style GoGo

TOB - NoMEE - YouTube

Soul Style GoGo

Jill Scott - It's Love... - YouTube

Hip Hop Style GoGo

WHAT? BAND*(4/16/10)*PLAZA 23--DROP IT LOW-- - YouTube

Old School Style GoGo

The Party Roll - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC