Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM

9 posts, read 34,864 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm relocating to DC from New York for work. Will start at DC on September 12th but currently still working at my current job.

I'm planning to come to DC over weekend to visit some apartments I found on craigslist. However it seems there are not some many apartments satisfying my criteria.

I want studio or 1 br for around $2000 in downtown DC. Preferably close to the Union Station or any other red-line metro station. In a good neighborhood, with access to groceries, shopping, etc I don't drive a car.

Do you think it is possible to find something reasonable in 1-2 days over weekend? Where else can I look except craigslist?

Any other advice will be really appreciated.

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 01:10 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,463 times
With your budget, you'll have lots of options. I don't see any reason why you couldn't find a place in a weekend. I think Craigslist is the best place to search...but maybe someone else knows of some DC property management companies that could help. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:32 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Do as much research as you can online, and then when you're here just wander around the neighborhoods you want to live in. A friend of mine did that for a weekend when she moved here from California and found a decent place. Your budget is definitely possible (if not probable), but I have noticed that some buildings just post a sign outside rather than advertise online.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:41 PM

207 posts, read 537,399 times
Senate Square is on H street right behind Union Station. I'm sure they would have something in that price range.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I did it and it wasn't hard. Could have done actually in half a day, because the place I end up with is the very first I looked at, and I felt that I was going to get it.

Surprisingly, there are very few vacant apartments in condo buildings. And as to apartments which are not condos - it's very hard to reach anyone to schedule the tour.

Next mission is to buy a basic furniture in one day. I'm planning to visit this coming weekend again. Any suggestions? Is Ikea accessible by public transportation?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdc View Post

Next mission is to buy a basic furniture in one day. I'm planning to visit this coming weekend again. Any suggestions? Is Ikea accessible by public transportation?
I was just going to suggest Ikea. I think that technically yes, it is accessible by public transit (a bus?), but it'd definitely be better to rent a car for the day. The bigger stuff can be delivered, but you may want smaller things that would be easier to just take home with you. I have a few friends in DC who have done it by public transit, but after one or two visits they all started renting cars (or bugging those of us who have one).

Old 08-19-2011, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,197 times
Default Ikea delivers but they charge a hefty fee, or so I recall.

So you're probably better off renting a U-haul if you're sure you're going to buy stuff.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 7,127 times
Alright, very similar situation, but I need a place for half the price. I'm willing to go outside the city limits, but I'm a very small girl and need to be somewhere safe. Anyone know anyone renting a place out for maximum $1000 a month in the northwest DC area, as far away as Rockville MD, or Arlington VA? And it needs to be close to the Metro since I don't have a car.

Thankssss!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 PM

If you want in downtown area look at the shared houses or for a roommate. It will be hard to find a decent studio under $1K During my search I saw some interesting places for $1200-$1300, but my time was really limited and didn't pursue those.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 PM

You could possibly find a few places for close to that price (~$1k), but not near a Metro (or, rather, not in a safe area near a Metro station). You may have luck along a bus line, but while you could get to work there's no guarantee that you could get around the neighborhood easily without a car. I agree with maxdc, find a room for rent in a shared house or a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC