U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2011, 02:53 PM

141 posts, read 145,763 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I wanted to know just how many of you actually DRIVE into DC for work/play/activities instead of taking metro/buses/taxis? I've actually know quite a few people who drive to work everyday into DC, and some that drive everywhere they go in the city while never taking metro. This surprises me a little, but I actually drive into work on Friday's at 15th and M Street NW, so I can understand the need to drive.

My question to you for those that live/work or commute to DC is: How often do you drive into DC for activities, and do you find it more of a hassle than others?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 03:00 PM

284 posts, read 566,056 times
I don't work in DC, but when I visit for other activities, I drive probably 75% of the time. It's usually quicker, and depending upon the weather, cooler, warmer, or drier, too.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:13 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,254,037 times
I don't work in DC either but I almost always drive when I come into the city. Its just more convenient than the metro. Also if I do get carried away drinking wise I can crash at my gentleman friend's house. He's been encouraging me to park my car at his place and catch a cab when I go out to party. Sometimes I follow his advice sometimes I don't.

Parking is definitely a pain in DC but I've learned tricks here and there. It's still less time consuming than the metro and cheaper than a taxi.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:44 PM

9,400 posts, read 7,982,500 times
When my mom lived in Bethesda we'd drive to get in to DC. It's just more convenient especially on weekends. Parking was a pain sometimes, but usually it was manageable and the time not spent waiting for buses/trains was worth any parking headaches.

Now that both my parents live in the city I don't need to borrow the car as much. Usually when I need to go downtown I just take the bus since that's the one part of DC I absolutely hate trying to find parking in. Otherwise I just take the bus to the metro or one of my friends picks me up and then he'll drive us around. My friends and I tend to hang out in Upper NW or in the suburbs so parking isn't an issue.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 PM

7,543 posts, read 9,641,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
Hey,

I wanted to know just how many of you actually DRIVE into DC for work/play/activities instead of taking metro/buses/taxis? I've actually know quite a few people who drive to work everyday into DC, and some that drive everywhere they go in the city while never taking metro. This surprises me a little, but I actually drive into work on Friday's at 15th and M Street NW, so I can understand the need to drive.

My question to you for those that live/work or commute to DC is: How often do you drive into DC for activities, and do you find it more of a hassle than others?
Is there a new T.G.I. Friday's on 15th & M?

I haven't had to commute to DC lately, but it's never more of a hassle than driving to Arlington. At least that's how I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC