Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:31 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times

Advertisements

Checked it out on Sunday (currently live in NoVa)

Anacostia - Okay, so the bones of the neighborhood seem good - lots of cute older houses, interesting small town layout, and of course SO conviently located. Diversity of races and incomes would be fine - but Im not sure I saw that on display, but maybe Sunday afternoon on a three day weekend not the best time to look? For income diversity, I am told there are african american gentrifiers moving in - could you guys like wear "I'm a buppie t-shirts" so I can know who you are? Otherwise its hard to avoid the sense of being a character in a Tom Wolfe novel sherman, where are all the white people - Google Search=

I drove between the metro station and the gateway on MLK, drove on Good Hope, went to the Frederick Douglas site and walked up to the house, but didnt take a tour. Drove around the residential areas near the house.

Looks like Sheridan Station almost finished, and some other new things starting. I think this neighborhood will be a lot hotter in two or three years. If I was young and single, I think I would buy here - fortunes will be made. I'm not sure I could get my DW to feel comfortable with it any time soon - maybe in a year or so though.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 09-06-2011 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:23 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
Wait until DHS Headquarters is completed. Unlike most of the other federal agencies, there are a lot of young, single people at DHS. With no kids, schools won't be an issue. Between the buppies and DHS, Anacostia is set to continue the upward trend from Waterfront and Navy Yard. The only real barrier is the projects at Barry Farms. Once that is plowed under, there will be no holding back Anacostia.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,983 times
How long is that going to be though? I looked at housing in Anacostia, and i don't think I could stomach being there for 2-3 years before it blows up, especially when I can get something for the same price in SW.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Wait until DHS Headquarters is completed. Unlike most of the other federal agencies, there are a lot of young, single people at DHS. With no kids, schools won't be an issue. Between the buppies and DHS, Anacostia is set to continue the upward trend from Waterfront and Navy Yard. The only real barrier is the projects at Barry Farms. Once that is plowed under, there will be no holding back Anacostia.

actually you don't want to wait until DHS is completed...lol

that's when rents/real estate will go through the roof as usual

get in now, you know what's coming, and the prices are still reasonable

Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM

76 posts, read 147,501 times
I am really enjoying your thoughts and commentary on the various "nabes." Thank you for sharing.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM

656 posts, read 648,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
For income diversity, I am told there are african american gentrifiers moving in - could you guys like wear "I'm a buppie t-shirts" so I can know who you are? Otherwise its hard to avoid the sense of being a character in a Tom Wolfe novel sherman, where are all the white people - Google Search=

We wouldn't want to be around those scary working class Black people.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:37 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujulu View Post
We wouldn't want to be around those scary working class Black people.
Like i said, I just want some diverSITY man. Some working class black people, some middle class black people and some middle class white people.

If it makes you feel better, I lived in Baltimore years ago, and some of those working class white people were pretty damned scary. But the Tom Wolfe line didn't apply quite as well to them (though the warehouse characters in "A Man in Full" resembled them closely enough).

Old 11-21-2011, 06:48 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
It's a shame they are moving Barry Farm residents and other public housing residents into Sheridan Station. That is one development that could have been completely market driven and be a profitable success for a developer and home buyers.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM

354 posts, read 785,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's a shame they are moving Barry Farm residents and other public housing residents into Sheridan Station. That is one development that could have been completely market driven and be a profitable success for a developer and home buyers.
they gota live somewhere lol.. its real easy to tear down their home give em a voucher and say fiend for yourself

Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
they gota live somewhere lol.. its real easy to tear down their home give em a voucher and say fiend for yourself
Well I can certainly see where EdwardA is coming from. I'd be wary of paying say $400K for my unit while the next neighbor pays next to nothing. So it will make potential buyers look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC