Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:33 PM

159 posts, read 338,361 times

Advertisements

What neighborhoods provide safe 1-bedroom apartments for a single girl to live on her own? I live in arlington now, with a roommate (we're not friendly just cordial), but arlington housing is more expensive (seems backwards). Right now I have my own bathroom and the space is in a high-rise owned by a PM company. And I have a parking space underground. I pay just over 1300, with rent increasing in Nov.

Anyway, I've considered moving into DC or to another county in order to get my own place. I don't consider myself a "city girl" and like "clean" spaces in quiet neighborhoods. And of course, I don't want to be paranoid about getting attacked in my apartment or somewhere near it. And I don't EVER want to deal with pests/insects/rodents (yuck).

Where does a single woman like me, with a limited budget, live for reasonable rent? 1200-1400 range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 05:38 AM

248 posts, read 698,029 times
Where do you work? I think that will help future posters help you as I believe the commute plays a large part in where you will live.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 AM

227 posts, read 397,678 times
You can get our own place for 1400 in Arlington...why move to DC?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM

To the post above, I find it difficult to get my own place for 1400 (in a good location) in Arlington. I guess I could go to S. Arlington, but that would require me to use my car more, which means more gas, mileage, and costs that outweigh the savings.

Right now I'm unemployed, but expecting an offer from a company that is walking distance from my apartment. I still like to have my own car even though I'm on the orange line, because the orange line only gets you to so many places.

Is it worth it for me to move?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 AM

227 posts, read 397,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
To the post above, I find it difficult to get my own place for 1400 (in a good location) in Arlington. I guess I could go to S. Arlington, but that would require me to use my car more, which means more gas, mileage, and costs that outweigh the savings.

Right now I'm unemployed, but expecting an offer from a company that is walking distance from my apartment. I still like to have my own car even though I'm on the orange line, because the orange line only gets you to so many places.

Is it worth it for me to move?
There is nothing wrong with most of South Arlington.

But if you are waiting on an offer...I would wait and see.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:55 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,203,455 times
I think you should just stay in Arlington especially if you want to hang on to your vehicle. I did a quote and my car insurance will double if I ever move to DC. South Arlington would have something in your price range. You could take the bus to work if you want to save on wear and tear. Although my philosophy is why have a car if you aren't going to use it? So yeah I say just move to south Arlington. Housing becomes a lot more affordable once you leave the Ballston/Clarendon area. There are plenty of $1400 one bedrooms all over Arlington once you get away from the orange line.

If you just have to live near a metro then you might be able to find something in Capitol Hill for $1400. Unfortunately $1400 is still too low of a price to be in the trendiest neighborhoods like Dupont and Georgetown you'll need like $2K. However, I've seen tiny studios in Dupont Circle for that price but $1400 is still pushing it for a studio. You might also wanna look at Logan Circle but parking is hard in that area so you'd probably have to rent a parking space.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM

265 posts, read 1,058,975 times
If you get an answer let the rest of us know. Seriously what you are describing is the holy grail -- safe, no bug problem, close to work (well, that's a big one around here), able to keep a car without paying a fortune for parking every month, well-run situation without 8 people living in a 2-BR place with 10 vehicles, etc. What you are describing can go $2000, sometimes with additional costs tacked on. And they get it. Part of it is the rental market is VERY tight right now, from people coming to our area to work, from foreclosures, from people who might have bought not buying (perhaps not feeling completely secure work-wise), etc. I've had roommates on and off my whole 20 years here and I'm over 50. Right now rooms in my neighborhood in Rockville rent for $1000 plus for nothing special and maybe without a private bath. Anything near the Metro is super-high. It sux but I don't know what the answer is, at least as long as I'm stuck here for work.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneful View Post
If you get an answer let the rest of us know. Seriously what you are describing is the holy grail -- safe, no bug problem, close to work (well, that's a big one around here), able to keep a car without paying a fortune for parking every month, well-run situation without 8 people living in a 2-BR place with 10 vehicles, etc. What you are describing can go $2000, sometimes with additional costs tacked on. And they get it. Part of it is the rental market is VERY tight right now, from people coming to our area to work, from foreclosures, from people who might have bought not buying (perhaps not feeling completely secure work-wise), etc. I've had roommates on and off my whole 20 years here and I'm over 50. Right now rooms in my neighborhood in Rockville rent for $1000 plus for nothing special and maybe without a private bath. Anything near the Metro is super-high. It sux but I don't know what the answer is, at least as long as I'm stuck here for work.
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one "stuck" in a less-than-ideal living situation. I feel bad for having a roommate...but my total housing expenses (w/parking) still remain under 1500. So I'm grateful for that. I guess moving to DC would come with certain sacrifices, like getting rid of my car, that I'm not entirely ready to make yet.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:56 PM

132 posts, read 353,250 times
If you up your budget to 1,700 you can get a studio in DC near the baseball stadium or in SW Waterfront. Unfortunately 1,400 doesn't go as far as it used to in the city.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 PM

465 posts, read 925,336 times
I highly recommend the Navy Yard area. They had the Capital Bikeshare birthday party at the Yards there and it was pretty awesome. Not a lot amenities there now, but the location with regard to Crystal City, Clarendon, U-Street, Chinatown, and Cap Hill is amazing (about 5-12 minutes for any of those). Very safe and in a few years there's going to be a lot more retail (six new restaurants and a Harris Teeter announced).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC