Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 05:29 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,198 times

Advertisements

DC is diverse, it just isn't very integrated. But I don't believe that the lack of integration is for racial reasons because there are several neighborhoods that are extremely diverse. I think it has more to do income, whites & asians tend to be more educated & therefore make more money, so they move to wealthy neighborhoods. Blacks & hispanics aren't usually as educated so they don't make as much money & live in poorer neighborhoods. the neighborhoods that are very integrated are the neighborhoods between the high income & low income areas so they tend to be more diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 05:50 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
If you're sitting around waiting for the government to create a job for you elsewhere, you're doing something wrong. There are plenty of cities around the country where the unemployment rate is just as low as the DC area or even lower.
And yet they refuse to hire and barely even interview people who dont live within the same zip code. DC is the only city where people are being hired from all parts of the country.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
And yet they refuse to hire and barely even interview people who dont live within the same zip code. DC is the only city where people are being hired from all parts of the country.
Untrue. Just look all over other city data forums and every day you'll find new people asking relocation questions because they found a job in a new city. I myself have turned down two job offers in the past couple years, one in Pittsburgh and one in LA, and I've had friends who have moved away for new jobs in Seattle, San Francisco, other places.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,372 times
Your friends must be in highly-skilled, high demand professions then.

Anyway, most relocations happen because the employer has moved the worker to another city OR the employee volunteered for another position in the same company. This happens frequently with sales and engineering jobs. It is still rare for someone to score a job with a different company in a different city. Very rare. I visit many city data forum sites and most people land in places like Seattle, San Francisco or LA because of a company transfer.

Which is why I point out the high-skill, high-demand situation. If you are a super-wiz in IT engineering or financial management then you will be demand in almost EVERY major metropolitan market. Free agency has its benefits if you are super talented and intelligent. This elite group of workers represent like 1 percent of the entire national labor force. Few people can pick up and move across the country unless they have the complete confidence of getting hired by a company within a short time.

The federal government and a few contracting companies have been known to relocate workers to other offices around the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Untrue. Just look all over other city data forums and every day you'll find new people asking relocation questions because they found a job in a new city. I myself have turned down two job offers in the past couple years, one in Pittsburgh and one in LA, and I've had friends who have moved away for new jobs in Seattle, San Francisco, other places.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Your friends must be in highly-skilled, high demand professions then.

Anyway, most relocations happen because the employer has moved the worker to another city OR the employee volunteered for another position in the same company. This happens frequently with sales and engineering jobs. It is still rare for someone to score a job with a different company in a different city. Very rare. I visit many city data forum sites and most people land in places like Seattle, San Francisco or LA because of a company transfer.

Which is why I point out the high-skill, high-demand situation. If you are a super-wiz in IT engineering or financial management then you will be demand in almost EVERY major metropolitan market. Free agency has its benefits if you are super talented and intelligent. This elite group of workers represent like 1 percent of the entire national labor force. Few people can pick up and move across the country unless they have the complete confidence of getting hired by a company within a short time.

The federal government and a few contracting companies have been known to relocate workers to other offices around the nation.
Depends on what you consider to be "very rare." According to Census numbers I've seen about 1.7% of Americans move from one state to the next every year. That's over five million people. Even if we assume that 90% of that is people moving without a new job or moving due to a transfer, that would still leave over 500,000 people moving for a new job. I personally don't consider that very rare or insignificant. And that's probably undercounting because I am guessing it is less than 90%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC