Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ southern twang goes about as far as
south jersey, in case you were not hip,
so no need being so technical about
northern virginia lol.
No its not just about accent. The southern accent is a key part of culture but not the only part.

I'm aware that the southern accent bends and folds. You can hear it in southern Ohio and Indiana once you leave the Cincinnati and Louisville suburbs.

Southern Missouri and rural Kansas have southern elements in the speech patterns of its residents. I mean listen to someone say Muh-zou-ruh. Adding "uh" to end of words is definitely a southern thing. If you catch me I'll occasionally say "tuh-mor-ruh" versus "too-mar-row". Yet for the most part I don't have an accent. My accent comes and goes.

At the same time I've never head anyone in south Jersey with a southern twang but there are isolated pockets of accents. I mean you have folks born and raised in New Orleans and Miami who sound like they're from the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^I heard white southern people
from miami call it miamuh too.

you're bound to see rebel flags
flying anywhere past philly, but
dc md and va is still the
mid-atlantic area geographically.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 PM

9 posts, read 9,713 times
Problem I see with NY as being mid-atlantic is Northern NY state. How can you be considered a mid atlantic states with latitude in Northern NY at 45 degrees. That puts you up in Maine somewhere if you go across the latitude eastward. I think a fair generalization of middle atlantic states should center around the Chesapeake Bay region definately extended to southern half of Pennsylvania, mainly South Eastern PA, all of NJ, Delaware, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey and NYC. Carolina is too far south. Maybe an argument for NC as being a mid atlantic state would be the northern coast where it starts to look more northern in nature away from the submerged coastline you find in Florida up to Moorehead City NC as opposed to EMERGENT coastlines of the northeast and mid atlantic coastlines. But ground zero for the mid atlantic should be somewhere in Chesapeake Virginia. Take about a 4-5 hundred mile radius and there is your mid atlantic region.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
The original term mid-atlantic states comes from colonial time when Canada and the US were still part of the first British Empire that is why Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey were called Mid-Atlantic States.
That's fine. New York and New Jersey were also part of the dominion of New England, so these terms don't really work any more. I've always wondered why Connecticut was New England when it had more in common with New York. Usually, I stop Mid-Atlantic at New York City (I go NY suburbs to the DC suburbs in NOVA).

Quote:
True but New York has more in common with New England then it does with Maryland, West Virginia, and Delaware.
Ah, but New York City has more in common with New Jersey than New England. And New Jersey has a lot of PA and Delaware connections (and the Delaware-Maryland connection should be obvious to everyone).

Honestly, the Mid-Atlantic seems more defined by what isn't the South and what isn't New England.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aav amphibs View Post
Problem I see with NY as being mid-atlantic is Northern NY state. How can you be considered a mid atlantic states with latitude in Northern NY at 45 degrees. That puts you up in Maine somewhere if you go across the latitude eastward.
Speaking of which...Buffalo NY...seems to often go to 'The Midwest' in regards to regions.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
"Best Sandwich in America" seems to have the mid-Atlantic as Delaware, Maryland, DC and Virginia.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Well we know that DC, Maryland, and Pennsylvania definitely fits into the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM

62 posts, read 159,614 times
Northern boundary: Virginia

southern boundary: Virginia

Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastli84 View Post
There's a million definitions. I tend to think the Mid-Atlantic covers Md, De, DC, and Va, only. These states IMO have a mix of northern of southern cultures, while PA, NJ, and NY are solidly northeastern in culture.
This is my viewpoint too. Sometimes I consider southeastern Pennslyvania and southern New Jersey to be a part of the Mid-Atlantic but they seem more solidly northeastern in culture and vibe, especially Atlantic City ever time I go up there. It just seemed so distinctly different from the culture and vibe of Ocean City, MD (A mixture of Northern and Southern influences). Btw, I think the northern and eastern parts of Virginia are more Mid-Atlantic culturally than the western, central, and southern areas of the state.

I don't think West Virginia is Mid-Atlantic in culture. It seems more like a mixture of Midwestern, Southern, and Appalaician cultures.

Last edited by tcave360; 04-28-2013 at 09:31 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Speaking of which...Buffalo NY...seems to often go to 'The Midwest' in regards to regions.
What about Pittsburgh? That city has always been interesting case when discussing geographical regions and cultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC