U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,752 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some advice in regards to my situation...

I am currently pursuing my bachelor's degree in Construction Management. I have been going to school now for over two years and have earned 60 credits thus far toward my degree. I am finally starting to study my core curriculum and I find it interesting. Especially due to the fact that I am an electrician by trade and have been on many job sites from commercial to industrial construction. My concerns are as follows...
I am 33 years old and I have felonies on my record from when I was eighteen. Nothing immoral- Just drug related offenses but none the less the felonies are on my record and they have affected me since the recession from landing a good job as an electrician. That is why I decided to get my bachelor's degree to kind of level the playing field and show potential employers that I am not that same dumb kid..
My questions are as follows:
1- Will getting a bachelors in construction management help me to finally land a good job??
2-Will having my bachelor's help persuade employers to look over my past??
3- How will employers look at me with just having earned my degree at 35 years old?

Any down to earth experienced educated advice that any one can give me in regards to this post would be greatly appreciated!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 AM

8,879 posts, read 11,182,327 times
Unfortunately, I believe, those felonies will still hurt you. Most contruction companies will look for people with really clean backgrounds, because that is what clients require. Most of the construction companies in this area have government (or government contractor) clients who run background checks on all construction workers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC