U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,602 times

Advertisements

I'll be working a GS13 in the city, and my child will be in an on-site daycare facility.

I hate the idea of commuting with him via metro (he's 2 years old, and can suffer from motion sickness. I'm guessing a 45 minute metro ride wouldn't be fun for either of us).

I am trying to keep rent costs around $2000/month, but I just can't find a 2bdr for that in the city.

Any suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:43 PM

90 posts, read 170,245 times
Are you saying you don't want to take the metro and need to be within walking distance? Or do you have a car and want to drive? If you plan to drive you might look in areas like Arlington or Alexandria where I think you could find something in your range (or a little higher -- maybe 2200/mo). If you tell us where you'll be downtown that would also help.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,602 times
I'll be working near the hill. Close to Capitol South. Walking distance would be great, but the only places I found were the trio of complexes in the Capitol Yards area (Jefferson, Axiom, and 909). They seem great, but I'd be stuck in a 1bdr...with den if I were lucky.

There are several areas in Alexandria that I like (Kingstowne, Del Ray, Fairlington). Some close to the metro, some not so close. Is it crazy to think of commuting by car from any of those neighborhoods? I don't really mind commuting by Metro. I'm just not sure how feasible it is with a toddler - especially if I have to walk a ways to get to the station, which pretty much means I'll be forced to bring along a stroller.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 AM

10,136 posts, read 12,376,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCChelle View Post
I'll be working near the hill. Close to Capitol South. Walking distance would be great, but the only places I found were the trio of complexes in the Capitol Yards area (Jefferson, Axiom, and 909). They seem great, but I'd be stuck in a 1bdr...with den if I were lucky.

There are several areas in Alexandria that I like (Kingstowne, Del Ray, Fairlington). Some close to the metro, some not so close. Is it crazy to think of commuting by car from any of those neighborhoods? I don't really mind commuting by Metro. I'm just not sure how feasible it is with a toddler - especially if I have to walk a ways to get to the station, which pretty much means I'll be forced to bring along a stroller.
I think it would be a little crazy to think about driving. If you live in any of those neighborhoods you would be right off the metro line that would take you to Capitol South without a transfer. That's a pretty easy commute either way. I know carrying a toddler in a stroller won't be fun but it probably wouldn't be fun being in rush hour traffic for an hour just to get to DC either with your toddler sitting in the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC