U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM

82 posts, read 50,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Glad to know we are nothing like New Yorkers! DC does its own thing. Always has, always will. The person who created this thread is not from DC, so there goes your inferiority complex theory. Plus as I recall, DC is still arguably the most powerful city in the free world. Have fun at fashion week, while we deal with Iran, China, Russia and Syria.
My original comments were aimed at those comments by dc ites telling people in va and md to stay out of their business. If you take such offense to that, then maybe you had better stay out of DC.

As for fashion week, I think you will find that no one gives a **** about what dc has to say about any of the subjects you mention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I can't tell if you're joking or just ignorant of this topic. Almost all of DC and the surrounding area's economy is based on immigrants from other states or other countries. Are you not familiar with the transient nature of DC?

You should also travel more if you think restaurants and lounges are somehow a NY phenomenon.

Some of the harshest resistance to change and "progress" comes from those living in NYC. Just look at the battles over the heart and soul of Harlem as money has moved into it, or Brooklyn for that matter as hiipsters took over industrial / working class areas.
As I have written before, my comments were aimed at those on here telling outsiders like those in va and md to stay out of DCs business. If you agree with that then I suggest you do so.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 AM

4,033 posts, read 4,813,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain1 View Post
New York harbor is the ocean where I come from. That creek feeds into the east river which is really a tidal estuary. I don't know anyone who would think of swimming in close to NYC. Even sandy hook is filthy at times.

But honestly this conversation is bizarre. Yet another reason I find DC awkward.
What's bizarre? I'm directing you to the Atlantic Ocean. I know for a fact that New York has beaches. Go to one of them. If that's not to your liking go to the Jersey Shore and be on TV problem solved.

Why would you go swimming in a harbor? Won't you get run over by boats? Is that part of New York slang that I'm just not getting. It just seems "bizarre" to complain about a lack of water when you live on an island that's all.

Last edited by terrence81; 02-17-2012 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Poor grammar. I used "a" before a word that starts with a vowel. Have I lost my mind?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,307,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain1 View Post
As I have written before, my comments were aimed at those on here telling outsiders like those in va and md to stay out of DCs business. If you agree with that then I suggest you do so.
I haven't read this whole thread, but haven't seen anyone telling people who live footsteps away to stay out of their business. Most of the conversations on here involve a mixture of Virginia, DC, and Maryland folks.

Also - if you think New York harbor is your ocean you are REALLY missing out. There's tons of clean beaches on both the ocean and Long Island Sound nearly within spitting distance. One thing I don't like about DC is how far it is from beaches; you've got them right there!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, but haven't seen anyone telling people who live footsteps away to stay out of their business. Most of the conversations on here involve a mixture of Virginia, DC, and Maryland folks.

Also - if you think New York harbor is your ocean you are REALLY missing out. There's tons of clean beaches on both the ocean and Long Island Sound nearly within spitting distance. One thing I don't like about DC is how far it is from beaches; you've got them right there!
Well you can take the ferry to close-ish beaches, but generally the better beaches are driving distance. The close ones tend to be dirty or dangerous. Coney island is a lot of fun but it can get rowdy (shootings last summer, hell the ones further out body dumps i am not kidding) and I would never go In the water. With seasonal traffic it can be a real nightmare to get to further away beaches. I thought you guys were close to the Delaware beaches and ocean city. Now those are beaches.

I am heading down to the DC area tomorrow. I admit I have a lot to learn about it. And god knows my wife wants desperately to be close to her family there ( the reason I found this thread, yes I am guilty of trying to find towns in the dc area with the same vibe as home). So maybe i will end up learning a lot, lol.

Good luck to you and thanks for the conversation.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:17 AM

1,230 posts, read 586,183 times
Even though we won't be alive, it'll be interesting to see where DC and many other cities will be in 200 years. Our country and cities are all young and are now just starting to take on character and build their own histories.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,516,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crisp View Post
Obviously it will never be exactly like NYC, but it seems to be going in that direction. The area is dense and spread out if you count areas serviced by the Metro as "The city" which I do.

Arlington is kind of like the Hoboken New Jersey of the D.C area. Montgomery and PG county's are like the Queens and Brooklyn of D.C.

Also the city and suburbs are going through a lot of growth and new construction all over. The bad economy is bringing more people from all over the country to the city for jobs.

The city and suburbs are very racially diverse as well. There is just as much racial diversity as NYC. Just a lot less Italians... which is unfortunate because I love Italian food and Italian women.
Nope.

I see DC growing and thriving but they are 2 separate cities.

The cities are different. NYC is a giant apple and DC is a smaller orange. So what do we mean? Will DC be as big as DC population wise? Probably never. Will it have giant skyscrapers, probably not given the height limits. Will DC be a global center of Fashion, finance, advertising, music ,etc? Again probably not.

To be fair NYC is NYC and DC is DC. There is no next NYC or no next DC.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM

5,912 posts, read 3,177,036 times
No way.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 AM

709 posts, read 320,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Nope.

I see DC growing and thriving but they are 2 separate cities.

The cities are different. NYC is a giant apple and DC is a smaller orange. So what do we mean? Will DC be as big as DC population wise? Probably never. Will it have giant skyscrapers, probably not given the height limits. Will DC be a global center of Fashion, finance, advertising, music ,etc? Again probably not.

To be fair NYC is NYC and DC is DC. There is no next NYC or no next DC.
No one really knows what the future holds. All your predictions are based on the past and present. You are basically assuming DC can't change. This is short sighted.

No one expected NYC to become what it did. No one knows what DC will become.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:35 PM

423 posts, read 178,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
No one really knows what the future holds. All your predictions are based on the past and present. You are basically assuming DC can't change. This is short sighted.

No one expected NYC to become what it did. No one knows what DC will become.
I do agree with him that the population will never reach NYC levels even if the height limits are removed, and as he said the height limits will never allow DC to have a tall skyline. However, centers of finance, fashion, culture, etc. change quite often.Just because DC isnt a center of fashion today, doesnt mean it wont be like Milan 50 years down the road
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC