Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 PM

2,559 posts, read 4,604,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I guess I'm just used to our hood looking like Detroit or Gary or the old South Bronx in NY. I still don't think those areas look bad maybe not upscale but not bad. Whats with everyone cutting their lawns in the DC hoods? that's one thing that struck me about the hood their.

Thats bc ppl still take pride in where they are living no matter the hood or upscale...just dont make no mistakes .....d.c is about to have their lowest homicides in 40 years but used to have a higher murder rate than all the cities u mentioned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,197,628 times
They look nicer because there's a lot of housing projects in DC. Then a lot of others live in row homes. I live in a row home and don't even have a lawn to cut. Milwaukee doesn't really have much as far as projects like DC does. It also doesn't have row homes. The single family homes in Milwaukee will start to look sloppy a lot quicker than in DC.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 AM

331 posts, read 1,194,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I guess I'm just used to our hood looking like Detroit or Gary or the old South Bronx in NY. I still don't think those areas look bad maybe not upscale but not bad. Whats with everyone cutting their lawns in the DC hoods? that's one thing that struck me about the hood their.
LOL! You're funny. I looked at the google maps of the projects that boredatwork posted. There aint no grass to cut! LOL! These pictures though are amusing to me, like they must have paid the people to go inside or something or it was a very cold day.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,197,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedWell View Post
These pictures though are amusing to me, like they must have paid the people to go inside or something or it was a very cold day.
I agree. I've never seen the city look that empty before. haha I was just driving through Anacostia and Congress Heights last night on the way back to work out there and people were everywhere. On top of that, it's late December with below freezing temperatures. I've never worked out of a fire house in that area, but one guy told me Congress Heights is always full of people at night.(especially during the summer) He said kids are out playing around at 3am like its the middle of the day.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:41 PM

96 posts, read 558,599 times
Aye real talk this is becoming very funny! I grew up in Condon Terrace, I hung around wayne pl., trenton st., I got cousins in congress park, washington veiw, wingates! And I can safely safe it still looks gutta round them parts! And foreal foreal why is ya'll even entertainin this dude his name speaks for itself Milwaukee City! He need to hop a flight and see whats good! No more google get on cheapflight.com or somethin

Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM

6 posts, read 33,894 times
My hat is off to DC1990, very well executed. As one that has worked the streets of DC and recruited young men and women throughout the entire DMV, you are 100% accurate in your analysis and break down of area crews.But I am a lot older than you, and DC has always been about hustling, money and game.

It’s protected by the arm of the federal government. The Fed acknowledges the illicit behaviors that operate in DC and Baltimore (see David Simon’s wire) as defacto urban blight. Once you make yourself a mark, you become a big fish in a small pond. Whether it’s the drug trade or the gang or crew nonsense or the scam and Murphy games. You do not last long on the streets of DC or Baltimore. Especially in DC.DC had old bop gangs in Georgetown, foggy bottom, Alexandria and south west.

In fact, south west was the most hardened and notorious quadrant of them all. Some folks who go back to the old school, know that South East was mainly white. Anacostia was white. And North West and North East Washington were full of bop gangs, the predecessors of block crews and drug gangs.Ledriot Park in North west behind Howard university had some of the toughest rouges in the city. Some of the more notorious housing projects were legitimate clean and safe havens. Places like kenilworth-parkside, Stanton dwellings, Arthur Cappers and Clifton Terrace were factories of perpetual criminal dysfunctional for decades.

In the late 60’s and early 70’s, Northwest and upper North east Washington were home to huge bop gangs, the Decatur street gang, the flaming arrows, the controllers, the executioners, the Marlboro 500’s and the Marlboro 250’s, the bunker hill gang in north east, the husky hobo’s from ivy city and Trinidad. These were like farm teams for the Lorton penitentiary and the cedar knoll and oak hill youth detention centers.It’s the transitioning DC and remodeled DC that you see now in the 21st century. DC is centered around neighborhood affiliation and loosely connected crews and rivalries. Gang as it interpreted by media hype, that permeate Chicago, Los Angles and New York and Atlanta and Houston will never take a foot in DC as long as the home grown mentality remains focused on money, game, education and couth. DC is a trend setting town and never bows to convention.

Last edited by delphonics78; 12-28-2009 at 07:29 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,024 times
u forgot

46th
Lincoln Heights
Clay Terrace
E Street
21st
Barry Farms
Benning Park
55th
53rd

Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,643,876 times
I rep the East Staines Massive myself

Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 PM

123 posts, read 502,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracaveli View Post
young this Drac from the good ol Michigan park crew don't believe me go out four seasons corner store across from Mc'ds see my name Drac spelled in the concrete next to Dudda on the side of it....surfing the web and came up on this thread..first off let me say I love d.c. and all the crews out this joint from Montana ave to Minn ave....about that bloods and crip stuff, maybe out PG county but even then I havent seen it out PG county md...Eastern ave is the division in d.c./md and that is like 8-10 blocks away from Michigan park...would be like 1 block if you live in riggs park which borders PG county Maryland....like I said there's no blooods up that part of PG county... I haven't even heard of no blood/crip talk unless referred to as some bama youngin doing a some bs gang sign/dance shyt.

riggs park jy like go hard and it doesn't since Sean was killed by a cop like in 98 {made national news} they lock that crew down, youngin was killed over a water gun or something in the frontseat when he reached for it, I faded with him since Backus Junior high was open back in 95 well before it became that magnet school bs...about that magnet school fake stuff. They just pushed all the "problem" students out ...pass them even when we were failing..hell I skipped 6 months in backus and still was passed... after that they bus in "honor students" so declared themselves a magnet school...but that lie didnt fly for long, backus closed down.

Sidenote: a few kids from backus died on that sept 11th attack traveling in the d.c. plane, Bush's wife came out michigan park photo opt type thing at Backus {she only came once}...whole joint was shutdown cops posted and ish, same thing happen when that youngin flipped out and took that family hostage in michigan park.....joint was crazy that day, cops thought they had it lock , I aint know anything had happen check it, I come up out the cut {little known pathway we made by the old church} and see a cop on the other little cut we made by the carryout straight posted in a guard stance..lucky I wasn't smoken a blunt or worse dippa
lol...I love dc. Golden Seal (love boat)....was popin back in the day

Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,732 times
Default whats your name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnative1983 View Post
Please don't say "forget about" SW, I amongst others(Wayne Perry ring a bell?, seen our FBI Files episode?) was born and raised down there, I have lost more friends than you can count on both hands and feet. Other than that your post is pretty much on point.
My boo from 106
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC