U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:48 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,589,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yeah, block crews. Three guys in the 7th grade with a MySpace page. R.I.P. Hol-Roid. Used to be the fourth guy, but he flunked history so his Mom makes him come straight home after school now...
LOL, 80% of these so called 'gangs' are what you described.

I don't know too much about DC except when i visited when you pass by an little island of grass in the middle of the street filled with Hobos it smells like urine. LOL, my friend said something about the hobos being national bums and a hobo overheard and started shouting to himself how he would throw my friend in a trash can.

Anywho, DC has such a small crime rate cause its tiny. one of the more infamous asian gangs are wah ching (hua Ching in mandarin) Gang shouldn't pose a threat, I think if you don't have a car you should worry about the hobos. While I was there i was scared to go out at night from fear that some Fat Homeless women would come up to me and tell me they're 9 months pregnant (the wide way going side to side not inward out like normal) and that they need help, it freaked me out more over cause of the smell. D.C.'s Chinatown sucks though, its small(the larger unofficial ones in DFW are better). The way NE cities are built is different then LA and Dallas etc. everything is on one street, there like no strip malls if you want to go in a store you park it on the road. DC is a fun place though, so much to do, You can live there for like 5 years and still not have done or seen everything you can see in DC. Gangs don't really pose a threat in DC, When you move to Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, or even LA then you worry about gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 01:39 AM

70 posts, read 403,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanger View Post
Maybe overall crime is higher in Austin - but I'd rather have a minor crime like my wallet being stolen than be murdered!
That post did refer to murder not overall crime .

Old 04-12-2008, 04:18 PM

5 posts, read 38,430 times
ARE YOU SERIOUS, WHO ARE ARE U IF YOU GO ON SAFESTREET'S DC THEN YOU WILL SEE AN ARTICLE ON DC VS BAHGDAD AND THAT IF DC WAS EVEN IN CLOSE TO SIZE OF THAT CITY DC WOULD AVERAGE ABOUT 200 MURDER'S A MONTH COME TO 24TH OR I CAN TAKE YOU ANYWHERE AND MAKE YOU BELIEVER......................

Old 04-12-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
LOL, 80% of these so called 'gangs' are what you described.

I don't know too much about DC except when i visited when you pass by an little island of grass in the middle of the street filled with Hobos it smells like urine. LOL, my friend said something about the hobos being national bums and a hobo overheard and started shouting to himself how he would throw my friend in a trash can.

Anywho, DC has such a small crime rate cause its tiny. one of the more infamous asian gangs are wah ching (hua Ching in mandarin) Gang shouldn't pose a threat, I think if you don't have a car you should worry about the hobos. While I was there i was scared to go out at night from fear that some Fat Homeless women would come up to me and tell me they're 9 months pregnant (the wide way going side to side not inward out like normal) and that they need help, it freaked me out more over cause of the smell. D.C.'s Chinatown sucks though, its small(the larger unofficial ones in DFW are better). The way NE cities are built is different then LA and Dallas etc. everything is on one street, there like no strip malls if you want to go in a store you park it on the road. DC is a fun place though, so much to do, You can live there for like 5 years and still not have done or seen everything you can see in DC. Gangs don't really pose a threat in DC, When you move to Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, or even LA then you worry about gangs.
HAVE YOU HEARD OF MURDER INC THE NOTORIOUS STREET GANG STARTED BACK IN 85 SOUTHSIDE, YOU SEE WHAT MAKE'S DC SO DIFFERENT AND NOT LIKE THESE OTHER CITIE'S IS THAT WE DONT HAVE THESE GANG'S THAT EVERY OTHER CITY RIDE'S OFF EACH OTHER AND THEY DONT START THEIR OWN STUFF WE SET TREND'S

Old 04-12-2008, 04:26 PM

From 1982 To 1997 Dc Was The Overall Murder Capital Of The World People Go On Fbi File's, No Lie...... One Year With Only 560,000 Dc Had And Astromical 567 Murder's We Dont Play You Front Your Dead Thats All

Old 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM

30 posts, read 70,297 times
25 times more likely to be shot in DC than on the ground in Iraq according to new statistics

Old 04-12-2008, 07:19 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,260,768 times
DC is very different fom other cities meaning that it is not a gang haven. DC's violence stems from neighborhood rivalrys (Kennedy Street beefing with Morton Street) and of course the drug trade. If you are from a certain neighborhood, then that is your crew. If a beef happens, you are expected to fight or do what you have to. There are no dramatic initiations like you here so much about in other cities. The kids dress like hoodlums but you can wear red or blue or pink and it wont be an issue. The major gangs never set up shop in DC because DC has never followed in the footsteps of other cities. DC is a trendsetter. Plus, you can walk away at anytime if its not your thing. The DC mindset is more about making money than joining a gang because the city is so materialistic. Back in the day (early eighties), DC was more known for boxing than shooting. But all that has changed. DC does have hispanic gangs but they are small time compared to what's happening in NOVA. MS 13 has a strong presence there.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:48 PM

11,145 posts, read 13,529,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politicalmess View Post
even if this were true austin is 20x bigger than dc anyway
Huh?!?

The Washington, DC metropolitan area: 8th largest in the U.S.

Austin metropolitan area: 37th largest in the U.S.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

nice try. The arbitrary boundaries of a city - especially when cities like Houston consume their suburbs into the city limits - is irrelevant.

Outside a few areas, Washington, DC is very safe for a big city.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Huh?!?

The Washington, DC metropolitan area: 8th largest in the U.S.

Austin metropolitan area: 37th largest in the U.S.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

nice try. The arbitrary boundaries of a city - especially when cities like Houston consume their suburbs into the city limits - is irrelevant.

Outside a few areas, Washington, DC is very safe for a big city.

safe where uptown probaly, but no city i have been to that awwed me but new orleans they where just like us and detroit........ alot of cities are not what they used to be back in the day.......

Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 AM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxof24thsyndicate View Post
From 1982 To 1997 Dc Was The Overall Murder Capital Of The World People Go On Fbi File's, No Lie...... One Year With Only 560,000 Dc Had And Astromical 567 Murder's We Dont Play You Front Your Dead Thats All
Do you have proof because on the DC Crime website, it doesn't touch 500 let alone 567. Also, in the mid 90s, I seem to remember New Orleans having that infamous title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC