U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 AM

846 posts, read 3,004,100 times

Advertisements

No, really, DC was murder capital of the USA for several years around that time, I remember everyone talked about it back then. There were hundreds of murders every year.

How much of the violence and organized (gang, I guess) crime in DC revolves around the weapons trade as opposed to the drug trade per se? I know I've heard that VA has been a big source of guns for NYC for years, and I imagine that a trade like that could easily be centered in DC. Anyone know anything about this? Are DC gangs just not organized enough to run "businesses" like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 PM

60 posts, read 113,326 times
Right now DC is still in the TOP 10 for the most dangerous cities but in the late 80s and early 90s DC & New Orleans were always either the #1 or #2 most dangerous cities every year

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM

Oh yea and DC cant have any organizations because there are too many hoods... In SE,NE, and SW all of the hoods are 2 blocks from eachother and in NW from 14th-North Capital all of the hoods are like 4 blocks from eachother and we DID have the Rayful Edmonds orginazation but even he had problems because of so much local gangs he was beefin with and the ones he wasnt beefing with still constantly robbed his suppliers or killed them for hustling in there territory

Old 04-26-2008, 11:22 AM

i could give u a list of NW and SE hoods but the police might be on here

Old 04-29-2008, 02:08 AM

47 posts, read 171,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
No, really, DC was murder capital of the USA for several years around that time, I remember everyone talked about it back then. There were hundreds of murders every year.

How much of the violence and organized (gang, I guess) crime in DC revolves around the weapons trade as opposed to the drug trade per se? I know I've heard that VA has been a big source of guns for NYC for years, and I imagine that a trade like that could easily be centered in DC. Anyone know anything about this? Are DC gangs just not organized enough to run "businesses" like this?

Um, I don't think you understand.

There are NO gangs in DC, just hood crews. This has been true for a long time and is still true. Don't know why, just is.

No weapons trading other than what the Feds do is allowed in DC. They are the biggest hood crew, hanging out around 7th and Penn., NW so heads up.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,848 times
Default politicalmess

Are you insane???? Austin, TX is not only smaller than D.C. but Austin has a metro area of 1.6 million and D.C. has a metro of 5.3 million. I live in the D.C. area, Northern Virginia. I grew up in Malcolm Hgts in Vienna, VA which is 9 miles from Georgetown and 10 miles from the Downtown, D.C. (Vienna is the last stop on the Orange Line - The D.C. Subway). See, what people don't understand is that D.C. is unique because it is so connected to its suburbs. When you are in the D.C. area you can drive from the capitol all the way out to Dulles Airport and never know that you left D.C. Many people don't realize that Arlington, VA and Alexandria, VA where originally part of D.C. and the streets and bridges are still laid out the same way. So it gives the illusion that it is all one big city. Even when you go up Georgia Ave. into Silver Spring, MD you cannot tell you left the city because Silver Spring is all glass Highrises and seems more dense than downtown D.C. You really feel like you are back downtown, and the same goes for Arlington, Alexandria, Tyson's Corner, Baileys Cross Roads, and Reston, VA. If they really judge the D.C. area on it's urban area as opposed to it's boundry's the only city's that would be larger are LA, NYC, and Chicago!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:56 PM

96 posts, read 482,478 times
Ok people it seems that there a few no alot of miscomceptions just about how dangerous D.C. is granted it defenently isn't what used to be but you CAN become a statistic. Now first off the highest count for homicide was in '91 with 482 now with that said "the murder capitol" qoute was givin by the news not an official statement people it ain't an award show yes D.C got it so did N.O. so did ATL, Detroit get over it no one came to your block and took pics with the killers and said here you are awards for killing the most people. Now southeast is was and always will be THE most dangerous area in the city and I'm not just sayin that cause thats where I'm from it's facts you are more likely to be a victim of a HOMICIDE than say adams morgan but the reverse side is you are more likely to be a victim of a robbery in adams morgan than say penn ave. As recently as '07 gangs have been turning up in certain areas if you don't them take your ass out in these streets and find out for yourself. Bloods crips even vice lords and gangsta diciples chicago gangs crazy right. But that does NOT make up the already stagering number of crews,mobs,hoods that make up our great city as a matter of fact if those so called Very dangerous MS-13 guys got togther and deciced to go to war with the crew,mobs,ect. ect. there would be no more MS-13 because the enitre city has a crew or mob or whatever so in closing. Yes D.C. is still very much so dangerous for those who only PASS through keep your mouth shut because you might become a STATISTIC

Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 AM

30 posts, read 164,477 times
Man aint no GANGS IN DC!! just neighborhoods nothing organized....

Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 AM

4,945 posts, read 8,260,768 times
Let's set the record straight once and for all. There are no real gangs in DC like you have in LA and Chicago. DC is made up of crews (loosely knit hoods in the neighborhoods) that hang together. There are no initiations or colors or codes that they adhere to.

DC crews would never let the Bloods or Crips or Vice Lords or whoever come in. I'm not saying that there aren't Bloods or Crips (usually fake)running around but they are very insignificant. MS 13 (HISPANIC) is real but they are mostly in NOVA and maybe in Mount Pleasant but they do not make any noise in DC. Illegal activities in DC are run by these crews.

Most of the crews are identified by their neighborhoods. Trinidad (Trinidad Place); 11 Park (Eleventh & Park Rd); CTU - Clifton Terrace; KDY - Kennedy Street. Within these crews, you could have subsets. For example 9th, 7th and 1st KDY all three different crews may have a beef with each other.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:28 PM

96 posts, read 482,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Let's set the record straight once and for all. There are no real gangs in DC like you have in LA and Chicago. DC is made up of crews (loosely knit hoods in the neighborhoods) that hang together. There are no initiations or colors or codes that they adhere to.

DC crews would never let the Bloods or Crips or Vice Lords or whoever come in. I'm not saying that there aren't Bloods or Crips (usually fake)running around but they are very insignificant. MS 13 (HISPANIC) is real but they are mostly in NOVA and maybe in Mount Pleasant but they do not make any noise in DC. Illegal activities in DC are run by these crews.

Most of the crews are identified by their neighborhoods. Trinidad (Trinidad Place); 11 Park (Eleventh & Park Rd); CTU - Clifton Terrace; KDY - Kennedy Street. Within these crews, you could have subsets. For example 9th, 7th and 1st KDY all three different crews may have a beef with each other.
Dog go round good hope by 19 you'll see rollin 40's spary painted on the wall and be crip bamas on videos shoutin out good hope from cali washington post said its blood members around N.E. what now expert they wrong too huh it ain't about them comin in it's the dudes who already live there when the dudes get out from doin feds they gotta hang wit somebody in there ie. gang members and they bring it back to they hood I understand if you don't want the city to change but you or me or anyone is gonna change the fact that gangs have speard to the area I've been in certain neighboorhoods where lil youngins talkin bout gang **** dog it's here wether you like or not and yeah we all know it's crews runnin things but now they gonna wear colors shoutin out that same hood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC