Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
yea the genre is called gogo but the OP had it rite..u say it like 'going to a gogo'
Ok thanks, I wasn't sure about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,289 times
It all depends on the OP's age. You can go see Jazz/RB type go go bands (Grown & Sexy) or bounce beat bands (Teens).

Try Takoma Station (Uptown) on Saturday night. It's a nice crowd with a nice vibe.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM

19 posts, read 67,581 times
A couple comments on the videos in page 1:

I've seen the group Vybe, when they came to a place I used to work, and they were great. That was a small show, and the environment wasn't hostile at all, and everyone seemed to have a great time.

Second, for any fans of The Wire (greatest show ever), one of the guys on the mic for the Backyard Band is the guy who plays Slim Charles on that show.

Live Go-Go is one of the best times you'll have at a show. It's sad that most white people in D.C. barely even know it exists, but if you are white (like me) just don't be stupid about the show you choose to attend.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM

People are ignorant when it comes to AA music, especially go-go. Most people don't understand that these are "real musicians" playing guitars, trumpets, keyboards, saxaphones, drums and congas. I've been to see Chuck a few times at the 930 Club where 25% of the crowd was white.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,198 times
To MDAllstar,

Much thanks man, this is the type of info I need. I really first heard Go-Go in those regular hip hop/dance clubs you mentioned, like Ibiza and Fur. But a DJ was playing it, not a live band.

Out of the bands I was really feeling Rare Essence Band and Da Mixx Band; I like that more up tempo, heavy percussion type of GoGo, not that slow stuff. I also liked the Chuck Brown video because I'm a fan of that old funk sound. Those are definitely my two favorites.

Another question, is there a popular night that people go to GoGos? Like do people go to say Marigold's on a Tuesday night because that's when it's poppin the most, or is it mostly the weekends? Or does the crowd depend on which band is playing at a particular spot?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
It all depends on the OP's age. You can go see Jazz/RB type go go bands (Grown & Sexy) or bounce beat bands (Teens).

Try Takoma Station (Uptown) on Saturday night. It's a nice crowd with a nice vibe.
There does seem to be an age difference in the type of GoGos people go to. Me, I'm 23 years old. I remember I was talking to a man in his late 40s about Gogo music, and he said do not go to a TCB GoGo cause "those young'ns don't know how to act" (his words). Then I hear from people around my age that recommend a TCB show.

It doesn't really matter to me the age of the people I'm partying with, as long as the music is good. Because I'm a fan of old school funk/soul music, many times I've been the youngest person at nightspots. Age is only a factor to me when it comes to women, haha. I like em young and tight.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
There does seem to be an age difference in the type of GoGos people go to. Me, I'm 23 years old. I remember I was talking to a man in his late 40s about Gogo music, and he said do not go to a TCB GoGo cause "those young'ns don't know how to act" (his words). Then I hear from people around my age that recommend a TCB show.

It doesn't really matter to me the age of the people I'm partying with, as long as the music is good. Because I'm a fan of old school funk/soul music, many times I've been the youngest person at nightspots. Age is only a factor to me when it comes to women, haha. I like em young and tight.
Well I am a little older than you so I can connect with what the man in his late 40's was talking about. A TCB show will be much wilder and out of control than a show featuring Chuck or RE. Two different crowds. I probably would not go see TCB because I don't like bounce beat go-go that much. I prefer bands like Lissen, Suttle, RE, Vybe and Chuck. It's all in one's preference. The great thing about go-go is that there is a band playing everynight somewhere in the DMV to the wee hours of the morning. It's always a party. Plus, anytime you have music that persuades and encourages getting close to a female on the dance floor is always a plus in my book.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 AM

28 posts, read 67,341 times
Another good go-go band is the Black Alley Band. They have been featured on just about all of the local morning shows (Fox 5, WUSA 9, etc). They bill themselves as a "Soul Garage" type of go-go band. If you are like me and love R&B and Soul mixed with Go-Go, I guarantee you will love the Black Alley Band.

Right now, you can catch them on Thursday nights at Bar 7 (1015 7th St, NW - Across from the Convention Center), and Friday nights at Indulj (1208 U St, NW). I have seen the band numerous times with disappointment. They have a great female lead-vocalist/singer. Other nights, they may play at various spots in and around the area. Check out their twitter and/or facebook page.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:26 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,734,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
To MDAllstar,

Much thanks man, this is the type of info I need. I really first heard Go-Go in those regular hip hop/dance clubs you mentioned, like Ibiza and Fur. But a DJ was playing it, not a live band.

Out of the bands I was really feeling Rare Essence Band and Da Mixx Band; I like that more up tempo, heavy percussion type of GoGo, not that slow stuff. I also liked the Chuck Brown video because I'm a fan of that old funk sound. Those are definitely my two favorites.

Another question, is there a popular night that people go to GoGos? Like do people go to say Marigold's on a Tuesday night because that's when it's poppin the most, or is it mostly the weekends? Or does the crowd depend on which band is playing at a particular spot?
No Problem! GoGo shows are only about the band playing that night at the club instead of a certain night to attend. It doesn't matter what night you attend a GoGo club because the featured band for the night has their own fans/crowd that follows them around. Also, to be honest, almost every GoGo Band is going to play fast heavy GoGo most of the night. The slow songs are used to warm the crowd up. I will give you an example.

Here is an example:

WHAT BAND - My favorite band and probably the livest non-violent 21 and over show to attend. They also have the highest female to male ratio compared to other bands which attract a lot more guys than girls by far.

-Go to the 5:50 mark in this video
-To see how live it gets at WHAT Band shows, go to 7:40 mark in this video

WHAT Band 11-1-08 @ The Legend - YouTube

Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 PM

Ok, another question for anyone who would like to oblige:

It seems like there are several known bands out there, but who would be you guys top 4 bands?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC