U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM

3 posts, read 28,116 times

Advertisements

I (about to turn 21) and my girlfriend (18 years old) live in apartments with our parents and siblings. Needless to say we both have zero privacy at home. We'd like to spend some time alone together in a hotel but we're having tremendous difficulty finding something that suits our needs. Here's what we're looking for:

MANDATORY
- Minimum check in age of 18.
- Receptionist shouldn't be behind bullet proof glass (e.g. Travelodge in Silver Spring or Motel 6 Washington DC Convention Center).

REALISTICALLY
- Within walking distance (less than 1 mile) of a metro station along the red, green, or yellow line. Preferably in NW, NE, or around central DC.
- Under $100 (before taxes) to rent a room for 2 adults for 1 night.

IDEALLY
- Rents rooms by the hour, or by 3-4 hour blocks.
- Accepts full upfront payment in cash without any additional cash deposit.
- Check in starts at 1PM.

We aren't actually planning to stay overnight, so that's why a hotel that rents by hour would be ideal. If we had to pay the full overnight price we'd prefer it to be cheap since we'd leave around 11PM anyway.

I've been looking for the past 2 days and still haven't found anything that fits all the MANDATORY and REALISTICALLY requirements. So I've come to this forum hoping that some of you more knowledgeable folk could help me find the right place. Really, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Final note: we're not just trying to have sex, so please don't offer any alternative "solutions" like "just do it in the backseat of a car in a dark empty parking lot!" We're specifically looking for hotels. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 PM

225 posts, read 267,258 times
Of course you're not just looking to have sex in a hotel room meant to be occupied with a girlfriend for only a few hours. Anyway, here's a list of them:

Washington DC - Hotel Search Results - www.orbitz.com

Old 02-04-2012, 06:10 PM

835 posts, read 1,105,678 times
Hourly rates are very much frowned upon for exactly the reasons you would expect. The only way I know of to get one would be to ask about a "day rate" at an airport hotel.

As far as cheap rates go, it's really hard to go wrong with Hotwire or Priceline rates. Since those are prepaid, too, you won't have to worry about unusual charges (although you'll still need a credit card, or a debit card with free cash, for incidentals or damage deposit.) Places like Crystal City are super cheap (well under $100) on weekends, right on the Yellow line.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:12 AM
yrb

91 posts, read 120,936 times
Why don't you get a debit card??
Then stay in any hotel. They may put a hold on it for incidentals, but it won't be large for one night at a cheap hotel, some hotels don't even do that.
Also, you would probably find better options price/quality-wise in VA.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,972,727 times
I'm sure there's at least one hourly motel along US-50. The "Budget Motor Inn" looks like they'll at least give you an hourly rate if you grease the receptionist...*

*I'm not responsible for any diseases, bullets or knives entering your body as a result of going to a sketchy-ass motel

e: I will say airport hotels are probably the cheapest of the "good motels." I stayed at the Hyatt Dulles once and it was pretty cool and not THAT expensive.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 28,116 times
Thanks for all the suggestions so far everyone. I found a couple good hotels in Rockville. A Red Roof Inn that lets 18 year olds check in and only runs about $66 per night for their cheapest room. I'm familiar with the area, and I don't think it's particularly dangerous. Northern Montgomery County in general seems pretty safe. There's also a Sleep Inn and Comfort Inn nearby that look really good although they're a bit more expensive.

I like the idea of paying a day rate at an airport hotel, my girlfriend and I could probably make it to either BWI or Reagan National, does anyone have good suggestions for either of those areas? I hate how little useful information hotels actually put on their sites. I'm gonna have to make some phone calls later once I find some places that are safe and cheap.

Also, what's the deal with hotels and debit cards? I'd rather not deal with that mess. Most places accept cash deposits, right?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM

835 posts, read 1,105,678 times
I've stayed at several of the Crystal City hotels since I used to have a lot of business trips here: Courtyard, Hyatt, Hilton, both Marriotts, Sheraton, Doubletree, Embassy Suites. All of them were just fine, some a little more dated than others, all were pretty good or very good deals. You can do a quick web search to see which one's cheapest on a particular day, and start from there. Day rates generally aren't posted -- you'll have to call -- but lots of airport hotels have them.

Not sure why you'd go all the way to Rockville when Crystal City is just 3 Yellow Line metro stops from D.C. proper, has maybe a dozen huge hotels since it's next to National Airport, and is probably just as safe.

"Quality" hotels these days make it difficult to pay in cash -- the same goes for car rentals and even bike rentals. Having a card number on file means that they have someone to go after for damages. Sad to say, but a lot of people think it's funny to mess up hotel rooms, and for obvious reasons those people like to pay in cash. There are also fewer reasons to use cash; you can buy a prepaid debit card over the counter and register it to your name/address for use when shopping online (like, say, Hotwire). Many banks/credit unions offer some kind of free checking with debit card. And when it comes to paying for things like hotels which require deposits, credit cards really are the way to go; I learned that the hard way when I first started traveling for work and had a debit-card hold bite me. That hold is often only $50-$100, but can take a few days to be re-released.

Last edited by paytonc; 02-05-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM

With debit cards you have to be careful. They place a hold on your account, usually for more than the cost of the room. With a credit card that's fine, but with a debit card it makes those funds unavailable and can even overdraft you. Call ahead and ask what the hold usually is.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 PM

2,555 posts, read 1,655,770 times
Most hotel chains won't accept cash since it leaves no paper trail, which is desired by people engaging in illegal or disreputable activities.

I've got to admit I'm skeptical about the OP's cover story. Hourly rate, cash, cheap, near major transportation, for him and his "girlfriend", "not for sex": sounds like a setup for prostitution. Call me cynical.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 PM

Eh, I buy it. I was in a situation much like his not long ago. Although I probably would have been up front and said "yeah, we're just trying to find a place to get down for a bit."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC