Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 PM

103 posts, read 344,623 times

Advertisements

We're going to be visiting DC this summer and I need some help. There is no way we can afford the hotels right in DC so we're looking for something outside - preferrably between DC and Annapolis.

Can anyone give suggestions as to a decent yet safe area in between? I was looking at hotels around Largo or Bowie, but honestly, I don't know this area so I don't have a clue.

Also, I'd like to know about driving and parking in DC. How bad is driving? (I've driven in Chicago and LA, so I'm not a stranger to traffic). Where can we park to walk and see the sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,192 times
Responses are in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalFriday View Post
We're going to be visiting DC this summer and I need some help. There is no way we can afford the hotels right in DC so we're looking for something outside - preferrably between DC and Annapolis.

Can anyone give suggestions as to a decent yet safe area in between? I was looking at hotels around Largo or Bowie, but honestly, I don't know this area so I don't have a clue.

Bowie isn't a bad place. A little far out to DC but it's ok. You probably might want to ask this in the DC suburbs of MD sub-forum and if it's possible in your budget, consider Montgomery County since the Red line can take you right into DC and other lines for attractions.

Also, I'd like to know about driving and parking in DC. How bad is driving? (I've driven in Chicago and LA, so I'm not a stranger to traffic). Where can we park to walk and see the sites?
DC streets tend to be very narrow and small compared to LA and Chicago. They are also some of the most confusing cities to navigate as they do not have a solid grid pattern that the biggest cities in the US follow. Lots of diagonals and traffic circles. The city was designed by a Frenchman so ideally, DC is similar to that of many European cities. It gets worse in rush hour where some of the roads are reversible and you would need to check the times of when the roads will go North and South. It's important that you know where exactly you're headed because anyone (even the natives) can get lost.

Parking can be found around the Mall and monuments but it can expensive and hard to find. It gets worse in the summer where most visitors come. Too much pedestrian and car traffic.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
You can get much better and abundant information on the following site District of Columbia Vacations, Tourism and District of Columbia Travel Reviews - TripAdvisor Go to their "Forums" section and read some of the expert responses daily given there to people just like you. They often advise visitors against lodging in the suburbs, saying the cost of transportation is much higher, depending on the size of your family. They can recommend particular hotels in D.C. that are a good value (read some their responses given to other travelers).

For starters, you should be aware that the DC metro area overall, has the nation's second worst traffic congestion, according to annual Amer.Auto.Assoc. studies for the past several years. Weekends are much lighter, especially going into the City. The Union Station parking garage is a good place to park for visitors. If you ride metrorail, be advised that the suburban station parking lots fill up VERY early on Mon-Fri mornings. The many, free, Smithsonian Museums (click here) Smithsonian are open from 10 am to 530 pm, with some open until 730 pm.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:09 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
DC streets tend to be very narrow and small compared to LA and Chicago.
I'm curious regarding this statement. I can't speak to LA since I've spent so littel time driving there, but I don't notice an appreciable difference between Chicago's street widths and DC's. Downtown streets and major arteries are quite wide in DC, whereas residential streets tend to be narrower--in other words, pretty much what you find in Chicago. I'm interested to understand what streets you're thinking of here...

Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,098 times
If you stay far outside of DC and drive in to get a cheaper hotel rate, be careful you don't spend so much in gas and parking costs to make the savings negligible. Most parking garages in downtown DC cost about $20 a day, for example.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Like I just mentioned above, the "Trip Advisor - District of Columbia Forms" website has answered thousands of queries almost identical to yours, and you can go there and read which hotels they consistently recommend for travelers on a modest budget. Some of the regular responders there, who answer as volunteers, seem really quite informed about local hotels and the differences between each one.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,883,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
whereas residential streets tend to be narrower--in other words, pretty much what you find in Chicago. I'm interested to understand what streets you're thinking of here...
I did mean residential streets. Some of the streets here are somewhat narrower and people tend to try to park there.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Get ready for a traffic induced visit then, driving in Chicago pales in comparison to DC if youre talking traffic. LA can compare but again traffic is not a good thing to witness, especially for outsiders/tourists.

I would recommend seeing the historical monuments, the mall, Georgetown, and then when you start driving visit Annapolis if you can, Ocean City, the foothills of Virginia's mountain range, and some of he charming towns in Virginia

Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM

638 posts, read 929,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
If you stay far outside of DC and drive in to get a cheaper hotel rate, be careful you don't spend so much in gas and parking costs to make the savings negligible. Most parking garages in downtown DC cost about $20 a day, for example.
I second that. If they don't do the garages, one parking ticket can begin to negate any savings one would enjoy by staying further out. I personally would suggest biting the bullet and staying wihtin the city. Good deals can be had if you search carefully.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:22 PM

638 posts, read 929,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Get ready for a traffic induced visit then, driving in Chicago pales in comparison to DC if youre talking traffic. LA can compare but again traffic is not a good thing to witness, especially for outsiders/tourists.

I would recommend seeing the historical monuments, the mall, Georgetown, and then when you start driving visit Annapolis if you can, Ocean City, the foothills of Virginia's mountain range, and some of he charming towns in Virginia
Chicago driving versus DC is not worlds apart. Traffic in Chicagoland can be just as nerve racking and frightful as any thing DC offers. Additionally one could argue that parking in Chicago is worse (more expensive and harder to find).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC